Looking to Build a new PC: Advice/suggestions would be appreciated

JamesDenton

All,

As per the title, I'm looking to put a new PC together where the main function will be to run FSX.

The PC is to replace my fathers current PC, which I put together in December 2009 consisting of:

• CPU: i7 920 do
  • GPU: 5850 1Gb
  • RAM: 12Gb
  • SSD: 256Gb
  • HHD: 1Tb

I'm keen to get this right 'as right as I can', as he was in the RAF for well over 30 years and now struggles to get around. He has a large collection of FSX planes and scenery... so it seems a shame to not put something together to get the best out of them.

In terms of what to get/build, my thoughts are:

• CPU: Intel - i7 9700k / i5 9600k / i7 8700k / i5 8600k ?
  • GPU: RX 580 8GB (I remember reading FSX isn't heavily reliant on the GPU, but I don't it to bottleneck the CPU hence something relatively decent)
  • RAM: 12Gb / 16Gb?
  • SSD: 2 x 1Tb (1 x Windows & 1 x FSX)

Questions:

1. Which CPU would you recommend? I have never overclocked one before, but was reading you can get them up to 5GHz (is it quite noticeable in FSX if I were to do this?)
  2. Also, is now a better time to get an Intel CPU as I saw prices have been high recently - or should I wait 6 months?
  3. What cooler would you suggest?
  4. Would there be much difference if I got 12Gb RAM as opposed to 16Gb?

Thank you in advance,

JC

-k cpu. For fsx i5 and i7 are equal as fsx can't use the i7's hyperthreading. However, other programs can benefit from hyperthreading.

Nvidia gtx. Best is one that ends in 60, or better, 80. E.g. 980 1080 or 1280.

Cpu speed (overclock) can help with smoothness. (if done right.)

be carefull, don't blow up the cpu.

Make sure the mainboard you choose can handle overclocking.

Case with plenty of room so parts can breathe. Also with room for plenty case-fans. 3 or 4 large and slow rotating case fans cool everything very well without producing much noise. (my case fans are 14x14 cm and are very quiet.).

And consider water cooling for the cpu. Very quiet. Great on long flights. (choose a case that that fits into. Water cooling radiators can be quite large! )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please read what I posted here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?313853-I-would-appreciate-your-thoughts-on-upgrading&p=2063308#post2063308

Especially about the CPU and the GPU. You have that mixed up. FS is a CPU-driven game. Not a GPU-driven game.

If there will be a lot of add-on scenery, read my signature on OOM errors.

Archived