Sonic Boom and Mute

usb777

For years in FSX and FS9 as well I have added the sonic boom effect to my fighter jets that actually have the ability to reach speeds fast enough to break the sound barrier but my question is why does the sonic boom sound thru my computer speakers even though I have the Sound turned of within the Flight Simulator? Not that it bothers me just curious.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

For years in FSX and FS9 as well I have added the sonic boom effect to my fighter jets that actually have the ability to reach speeds fast enough to break the sound barrier but my question is why does the sonic boom sound thru my computer speakers even though I have the Sound turned of within the Flight Simulator? Not that it bothers me just curious.

Not sure which sonic boom effect you are referring to, but whatever it is, it most probably is played using an XMLsound gauge made by Doug Dawson.

The volume of sounds played this way, is independant of the sound volume settings in FS9/FSX because it's directly programmed on the Windows DirectX API.

However, old versions of this XMLsound gauge do not check if you have turned off the FS sound completely (via the menu or Q command).

Hence you still hear the boom sound played.

Using newer versions of the gauge will solve it (since these check the on/offstate of the FS9/FSX sound variable.

If you want to solve this:

Go to Doug's website at https://www.douglassdawson.ca/ and download the latest version of dsd_fsx_xml_sound.zip (works for FS9 and FSX).

Note that you may need to change the panel.cfg definition to use the new gauge version.

See README in the zip file.

Explained ??

Rob

Thanks, that is the sonic boom I have been using, I will check out the newer sound gauge.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

I believe it was the one in the COP-30 package

Mike G.

What is the exact gauge you use for the sonic boom? I had one in FS2004, and when I applied it to FSX it crashed the game.

If you were using the gauge SonicBoomControl.xml from my COP2 package for FS9:

It's not this XML gauge that caused the crash in FSX, but the very old FS9 version of the XMLsound gauge that was included in COP2.

Rob

That's odd, I checked before I sent it, No matter. It is on the sae page as the kuznetsovfsx.zip just a little lower down the page. The kuznetsovfsx.zip crashed my program, I think the tail hook length was wrong. You can find the file you really want by searching rcbco-30 I believe. Try this one

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?searchid=66935376

Mike G.

Archived