catapult steam

miatamariner

In Javier Fernandez's v2 release of the Nimitz and Eisenhower, he states " added steam effects on all catapults" in the "Readme" file. I know my vision isn't very good, but has anybody else been able to find/see any steam effect on the catapults? Looking in the "Effects" folder in the download, I can find no fx steam file or any instructions on where such a file would be placed. The "sim" file has no entry for "Effects", although it could be easily added if this is where the catapult steam effect is supposed to go, but then again, with what fx steam file?

For sure I remember seeing the catapult steam - I looked to see if I had a screenie that showed it but didn't find one. You are right about there not being an 'effects' section in this boat, I don't have one either. However, recall that lights (effects) can be encoded in the model; stands to reason that other effects like smoke also could be.

Remember too you have sliders that control this kind of detail, I think. Make sure everything for special effects is turn all the way up. I think that effects are also subject to the limitations of your system; if you are short of resources perhaps FSX just doesn't get around to displaying some effects. You could turn other things down as a test to see if it made any difference.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thanks Loyd:

All good info. FSX runs just fine on my system with scenery & autogen sliders all the way to the right. My effects slider is maxed over to the right also. Still, no steam is seen. Just don't know what the magic formula is.

I don't know if this has any bearing on the subject, but I am using Rob Barendregt's COP3 program for catapult and arresting functions which work very well for me.

Yep, that's why you're not seeing the steam effects. Most Naval aircraft come ready lo launch and recover from the carriers with no additional files needed.

If you're trying to use an FS9 plane in FSX, then you may need Rob's COP3.

Nothing against Rob's "stuff". He's an excellent programmer, with excellent files. They're just not needed with most FSX native Naval aircraft.

Hope this helps some...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

In real life, steam seen during a catapult shot is very limited; it is caused by slight leakage from the sealing strip in each cat cylinder. It travels just aft of the shuttle and vaporizes very rapidly. At the end of the shot, the propulsion steam is exhausted UNDER WATER - not through the cat track. Watch a movie, it is somewhat subtle for a well maintained cat.

There is also a little residual steam seen just aft of the shuttle when it is retracted after a shot - this is residual steam that was not totally exhausted through the underwater sea chest. It is also caused by the sealing strips being lifted as the shuttle moves aft.

In real life, steam seen during a catapult shot is very limited; it is caused by slight leakage from the sealing strip in each cat cylinder. It travels just aft of the shuttle and vaporizes very rapidly. At the end of the shot, the propulsion steam is exhausted UNDER WATER - not through the cat track. Watch a movie, it is somewhat subtle for a well maintained cat.

There is also a little residual steam seen just aft of the shuttle when it is retracted after a shot - this is residual steam that was not totally exhausted through the underwater sea chest. It is also caused by the sealing strips being lifted as the shuttle moves aft.

Thanks for the synopsis. I am well aware of the catapult system operation as I served on board three carriers. My original question still stands. Why do I not see any steam on catapult launch?

Yes Pat, it is an FS9 AC, but how does that interfere with an effects file that is modeled to the ship? I will try the FSX FA-18 and see what happens.

It's not the plane, per-se, it's Rob's COP3 "stuff" you installed to get it off the deck. It's not using the ship's integral catapult to fire, or if it does, the effect may not "see" the cat as firing.

Leave the COP3 off the default Acceleration F-18. It should, and please note the use of the word "should", launch and recover very nicely. It should also show the steam effects. Or allow them to show, if you prefer.

Also, make sure you set the plane in the right place, and use the correct keystrokes to make it launch. Like lower the launch bar, hook up to the cat, then go to full power, and fire the cat.

Also, there may be environmental factors involved. Is the outside temp too high to allow the steam to show? Try making it cold outside, and see if that does anything. Things like that. Maybe the humidity is too high? Try making it low, like 10%, or something.

Just possibilities.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

It's not the plane, per-se, it's Rob's COP3 "stuff" you installed to get it off the deck. It's not using the ship's integral catapult to fire, or if it does, the effect may not "see" the cat as firing.

Leave the COP3 off the default Acceleration F-18. It should, and please note the use of the word "should", launch and recover very nicely. It should also show the steam effects. Or allow them to show, if you prefer.

Also, make sure you set the plane in the right place, and use the correct keystrokes to make it launch. Like lower the launch bar, hook up to the cat, then go to full power, and fire the cat.

Also, there may be environmental factors involved. Is the outside temp too high to allow the steam to show? Try making it cold outside, and see if that does anything. Things like that. Maybe the humidity is too high? Try making it low, like 10%, or something.

Just possibilities.

Pat☺

Well, you've given me a plate full of stuff to try:) Many thanks. I never have liked humidity! Will let you know what happens.

Well, you've given me a plate full of stuff to try:) Many thanks. I never have liked humidity! Will let you know what happens.

Hi,

With the default FA/18 and Javier's Nimitz, you should always see the steam effect (following the nosewheel and cat) when the aircraft is launched.

This is a built-in effect of the Carrier model, but ONLY works for aircraft models that are catapult-enabled; so use the FSX-Accell procedure for catapult launch (Attach bar, arm and trigger, default keys resp. Shift-U, Shift-I and Shift-"space".

So if you use COP3 for catapult launches for non-catapult-enabled aircraft, there's no steam effect.

Remember: COP3 was made in the pre-Accell time, when you needed some external program to enable launches from static or moving Surfaces.

With catapult-enabled aircraft (like the default Accell Fa-18 or Dino's F14) you shouldn't use COP3 for catapult launches on catapult-enabled carriers (like Javiers carriers and the default Accell carrier).

The built-in Accell functionality works simply more realistic on (moving) carriers, because there is interaction between the aircraft and the carrier.

Hence I never updated COP3 anymore.

Rob

Thanks Rob for the clarification. I did indeed try Dino's T-45 using the shift U, shift I and spacebar keys and I did get the smoke. I had been using an RA-5C FS9 aircraft to which I had applied your COP3 program. The only thing missing was the cat steam, which you clarified and described why I would not get steam.

Thanks for the help, Rob.

I've never used COP3. Not that there's anything wrong with it. Far from it! I used COP2 with every update I could stuff into it when FS9 was all I had.

But when I got FSX:SE the day it came out, I found the FSX Blue Angels F/A-18C, I think v14.something, they came out about the same time, and I never looked back.

I found that FSX Native planes don't need anything added to launch or trap aboard the carriers, so I sort of left the COP series behind as well.

I knew that the COP3 was WHY the steam effect wasn't showing, but exactly why I didn't know. Thank you very much for filling in the blanks. I appreciate the help!

Miatamariner, I'm glad you're satisfied as to exactly why what's happening is happening, if that makes any sense. Hope you enjoy the whole thing from now on. :)

Take care all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived