How to Add Garmin 500 GPS To ALL Planes FSX

Prostock

I'd like to know if there's a way to Add the Garmin 500 GPS to ALL my planes? Some of my planes have it already but many don't. It would make things easier & more enjoyable to add it to all my planes. I searched files here but only came up with "FSX Garmin GPS 500 Replacement Gauge V6" and that's not what I'm looking for. Thank you

Take a look at the Panel.cfg files for other FSX default aircraft and you'll see the code. Chose the plane which has the panel which looks closest to what you want and copy the code into your planes.

Here's an example of the FS9 Garman 500 GPS panel:

[Window01]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=456,378

window_size_ratio=1.00

position=0

visible=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

window_size= 0.270, 0.270

window_pos= 0.730, 0.730

no_luminous=1

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Yes, it's ALMOST that easy :D

I know, I'm a pita...

I apologize to Mr. pvarn, for this, but: Just dropping that bit of code into another plane's Panel.cfg file isn't quite adequate.

First, you need to add an entry to the [Window Titles] section, at the top of the file. It will have a list of the pop-up windows available. You need to add one for the GPS at the bottom of the section, that looks similar to this: WindowXX=GPS , where XX will be one number higher than the last one in the list. Like if the last entry WAS Window04=Compass , just for example, then when you add the one for the GPS, it should look like this: Window05=GPS . The number will most likely be different for each plane's panel you add to.

Now, when you add the code Mr. pvarn showed you, the section at the top of it, [Window01] in the example given, will need to be changed to [Window05] , using our example. In other words, it needs to match the number you entered for it up in the [Window Titles] section. Whatever number you give it in the [Window Titles] section, you need to give it in the [WindowXX] line.

If you encounter a Panel.cfg that has a number of entries of 08 or higher as it's last entry in the [Window Titles] section, you will encounter the problem of having more pop-up windows than the sim supports key combos for. Like SHFT+5, SHFT=6, etc. Those keys go no higher than SHFT+9. Since the windows start their numbering at 0 (zero), everything is one higher. Like in my example, your GPS would be called by SHFT+6. See?

In the case of having more pop-ups than SHFT+X key combos available, you will need to add a pop-up icon to the panel(s) (2D and/or VC). Otherwise you have to go through a series of menu selections, which is a pain, and pauses the sim while the menus are open. With an icon on the panel, you can just click the icon and voila! You new window will appear, as if by magic :D

Of course, GPS is such a common window, that there is a readily available icon for it. If you wish to utilize icons for your windows, to avoid either menus, or even just using SHFT+X key combos, just let me know.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thank you. Easier than I thought.

Quoting Myself here because "It was just that easy". I'm a big fan of the "KISS" Rule of making things work & I don't have money to spend on this hobby. I'm also easily confused as I get older LOL. So what I did is I went into the CFG.file (panel) from the plane I knew had what I was looking for, the Maule_M7_260C Orion, copied this info:

((Actually added a new window option [Window06] which was the next number window to use. Looked at how the other "Windows" were set in the file & matched their format. Actually pretty simple.))

size_mm=456,378

window_size=0.5

position=8

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

VISIBLE=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

Opened the CFG.file (panel) of the aircraft I wanted to equip with a Garmin 500 GPS unit which happened to be a fresh dl of Douglas_C-117D_V2 and it worked like a charm. Thanks to PVARN for the help.

It worked on this Aircraft, I'm going to try another one today & hoping it will be as easy.

I look at it this way, don't matter how it get's done as long as it gets done & I prefer short & sweet. Thanks everyone for a great forum & some very helpful people. On to the next post.

Yep, easy to do by hand.

Add the line WindowXX=GPS

in that list above. (if last is

Window07=other thing

then add as

Window08=GPS

and add the section as:

[windowXX]

(change that XX to same number you used above).

If XX is 08 then to pop it up press shift+9

(Window00 is shift+1)

if more windows are needed, to find them press alt for menu bar, then choose views--instrument panels.

And if you don't want the sim to pause when you do that, you can to options-settings-general, and take the check mark out of: "pause on task switch".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, easy to do by hand.

Add the line WindowXX=GPS

in that list above. (if last is

Window07=other thing

then add as

Window08=GPS

and add the section as:

[windowXX]

(change that XX to same number you used above).

If XX is 08 then to pop it up press shift+9

(Window00 is shift+1)

if more windows are needed, to find them press alt for menu bar, then choose views--instrument panels.

And if you don't want the sim to pause when you do that, you can to options-settings-general, and take the check mark out of: "pause on task switch".

Once again, very helpful information. Thanks for sharing.

Calling a panel from the screen menu isn't considered a "task switch", a task switch is opening another application (or switching to another already open application).

So that last line is off topic, unnecessary and WRONG.

Unless you want to continue flying while editing your panel.cfg file? I don't think so...

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Archived