How To Get Rid Of White Skies

bam1220

I am using ASE with AS 6.5 textures. Every time I fly in FS9 I get extremely light blue to white skies. I have set the sky graphics to be a medium to darker blue and have saved this to ASE. But every single time I fly no matter the weather my skies are way too white. Is there any way to fix this? I was going to buy REX textures but I see they are no longer selling anything for FS9. Any other texture program that will still work for FS9? Thanks.

I'll put my supported vote into the above: SweetFX (tuned properly), and FE9's Global Sky variations have made my entire FS9 world look better than ever.

I too use ASE for weather download, as well as picking cloud files from AS6.5.

Every time I fly, I comment to myself how excellent everything looks.

The FE9 files - would be nice to have a little batch file to select which one of the many variations to use for your next flight, instead of copy/past each time. No show-stopper, but would be pretty handy. Unless there is one, and I am missing something?

Good luck,

Neil :cool:

I tried HDE V2 and although I now have blue skies on the ground I get white skies returning during climbout. At 32,000 feet in an HJG DC9-30 I am completely in a white soup. No matter what I try I can't get rid of it. But I do like the cloud textures. I am going to try the other suggestion here before giving up and going back to the white skies I had before with ASE and AS6.5.

I tried HDE V2 and although I now have blue skies on the ground I get white skies returning during climbout. At 32,000 feet in an HJG DC9-30 I am completely in a white soup. No matter what I try I can't get rid of it. But I do like the cloud textures. I am going to try the other suggestion here before giving up and going back to the white skies I had before with ASE and AS6.5.

I personally much prefer FE9G. It’s a very good freeware package that includes some extras.

Also what is your visibility settings and perhaps a screenshot to help us see what you’re looking at?

I personally much prefer FE9G. It’s a very good freeware package that includes some extras.

Also what is your visibility settings and perhaps a screenshot to help us see what you’re looking at?

Thanks. I'll try FE9G. Yesterday I did a flight from KBGR to KJFK. There were thunderstorms during descent into New York. Looked impressive. But at cruising altitude of 31,000 ft between KBGR and KJFK I still had a band of white between the ground and the upper atmosphere. It was at the same altitude I was flying at. You might be onto something with the visibility settings. I have them set to 120 miles just to test to see if I could get rid of the white haze. I'll play with the settings some more. How do I take a screen shot of FS9? I have tried over the years but I never seemed to be able to get one. Thanks.

Hi,

I also use ASE along with AS6.5, but I must say I haven't really paid attention to that.

I have played around with visibility settings in registered FSUIPC to get that hazy horizon look.

Maybe something's going on there, or with some ASE setting.

Although ASE makes nicer clouds, I consider AS6.5 the better product. Just compare the options pages of both.

I take screenshots by hitting the PrtSc key, which saves the screenshot to the clipboard. I open up MS Paint (Win7), select Paste and then save as BMP or PNG.

Regards,

DDP.

Hi,

I also use ASE along with AS6.5, but I must say I haven't really paid attention to that.

I have played around with visibility settings in registered FSUIPC to get that hazy horizon look.

Maybe something's going on there, or with some ASE setting.

Although ASE makes nicer clouds, I consider AS6.5 the better product. Just compare the options pages of both.

I take screenshots by hitting the PrtSc key, which saves the screenshot to the clipboard. I open up MS Paint (Win7), select Paste and then save as BMP or PNG.

Regards,

DDP.

I am sure it is some setting somewhere. I have found a setting in ASE under Visibility that says if I put a check mark in the box then I won't have the haze effect in FS9. But I noticed that this setting works just the opposite. If the check mark is in the box then I get the haze. If I take the check mark out then the haze is reduced a lot but is still there. Just the opposite of what the help popup states. I too feel that AS 6.5 is the better program. But I can't get the proper weather if I try to use it. I honestly wish I could still buy REX for FS9. But it looks as if it's discontinued.

Thanks for the instructions on taking a screen shot. If I have the issue today I'll take a screen shot and post it here.Thanks again.

Yes, a screenshot will help a lot.

Just to say, if you are installing other sky textures and still is white then something is overwriting them. If you have a backup of your default directory texture folder (FS2004\Texture) install it again then from there install one addon at a time and run the sim at least once to check everything about it. If it's good, repeat the same step till the rest of whatever addons left you have are installed. That's how I do my stuffs.

Meanwhile here's a shot of HDE v2 at 36,000 feet over northern pacific coasts at 1 PM. My sight distance is maxed.

sky.jpg

Yes, a screenshot will help a lot.

Just to say, if you are installing other sky textures and still is white then something is overwriting them. If you have a backup of your default directory texture folder (FS2004\Texture) install it again then from there install one addon at a time and run the sim at least once to check everything about it. If it's good, repeat the same step till the rest of whatever addons left you have are installed. That's how I do my stuffs.

Meanwhile here's a shot of HDE v2 at 36,000 feet over northern pacific coasts at 1 PM. My sight distance is maxed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]204344[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the screen shot. I think I have it figured out. Almost. It seems to be a setting in FSUIPC (Visibility Smoothing) that somehow was changed when I "upgraded" from AS 6.5 to ASE. I still have a fog/haze layer on final approach down from 1000 feet to 300 feet. Then everything clears up. Any idea how to get rid of that? It pops up suddenly and it's extremely annoying. Other than that I have everything else fixed.

I have quite a few addons installed and FSUIPC is mentioned to be present for them to work properly I guess. But I don't think I ever have it installed and everything is running normally with me. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what is FSUIPC and what it does.

If it has some sort of a settings, try to reset to default. But anyway what wheather are you flying with? 1000 to 300 with fog? Maybe you're weather option is set to random and it was foggy at those altitude range. If that's not the case then likely it's with FSUIPC again as something in there is causing that to happen. Upgrading textures over existing ones are usually not an issue as they automatically overwrite the old ones.

I have quite a few addons installed and FSUIPC is mentioned to be present for them to work properly I guess. But I don't think I ever have it installed and everything is running normally with me. So to be honest, I don't know exactly what is FSUIPC and what it does.

If it has some sort of a settings, try to reset to default. But anyway what wheather are you flying with? 1000 to 300 with fog? Maybe you're weather option is set to random and it was foggy at those altitude range. If that's not the case then likely it's with FSUIPC again as something in there is causing that to happen. Upgrading textures over existing ones are usually not an issue as they automatically overwrite the old ones.

It has to be some setting that I haven't found yet. But the 1000ft down to 300ft haze/fog is at every airport now even in perfectly good weather. I am using ASE for my weather. I just need to keep trying settings or if someone here has an idea how to get rid of that haze layer on final approach that would help me a lot. I got rid of it before when I was using AS 6.5 but I just can't remember the correct setting. If I check the No Haze in FS9 box in ASE I immediately get a haze/fog effect at any altitude. I'll eventually figure it out. I hope. Lol

I tried to do the screen shot yesterday but I was unaware that I can only keep the latest one. I was taking quite a lot but when I went into the Paint program I could only find the last one that I took. And it wasn't going to help my issue posting that one in this forum. I can't fly today but the next time I do I'll take a screen shot of the haze/fog on final. Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

Hi,

Actually you can still use AS6.5 with current weather. I have ASE, AS6.5 and ASG all installed. I only download ASE historical weather for later use offline. Every few days I download .WX files from the previous days, I just pick a date and hour.

When I load one of these .WX files in ASE, it creates a current_wx_snapshot.txt in both ASE and AS6.5, so AS6.5 gets updated as well.

Yes, you can only save 1 screenshot at a time to the clipboard. I'm sure there's screenshot programs that let you take lots of 'em at a time.

Regards,

DDP.

Archived