Advice? - Order for installing Airlines flying in US/Canada

drmweaver2

Background: I'm starting from scratch, having just re-installed FSX:SE and purchased some Orbx NAmerican scenery products as well as Air Hauler 2(Early Access). From that, you can tell my primary flying will be in the US "in support of" Air Hauler 2 - with the occasional non-AH2-related flight God-knows-where.

So, I'll be flying to, in and out of US/Canadian airports of varying sizes and want some "company". For the next month or so, it'll mostly(~90%) be smaller or GA-oriented airports. I've already downloaded and installed Orbx's North American GA AI Traffic Pack and am now looking to replace the default FSX:SE BIG commercial airlines/airplanes with WOAI packages. The question is which airlines in what order (I could spend/waste a LOT of time installing everything they have globally and get no "benefit" if that airline doesn't fly in the US or Canada.:confused:)

So, obviously I will install ALL US-based WOAI airline packages like Delta, United, etc.

My question, finally, is what are the other/international airlines that fly to the US and in what order would you install them based on quantity of traffic to/in the US? I know the BIG ones, like British Airways & Lufthansa, but have little clue about the others in terms of traffic loads.

Looking forward to you guys' comments.

Thanks.

Okay... I've basically downloaded every US-based WOAI cargo package.... Took a while... we won't talk about how long it took to install them (FSX-SE installation of WOAI packages wasn't as straight-forward as I remember with FSX-boxed).

But actually, the original question was intended to be about Pax airlines, not cargo. You know, British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, JAL... big, non-US flagged passenger airlines that show up routinely in US/Canadian airports. I haven't flown commercially in years and haven't been to LAX, JFK or SeaTac for even longer, so I am definitely out of date with who's actually flying in the US now.

So, I'll re-word my original question.

Other than the 4 I just mentioned, what are the non-US-flagged Passenger airlines you'd "miss" if they never showed up at a big international airport in the US?

Please consider the number of flights and number of US/Canadian airports you've seen these airlines at.

Thanks again.

Why not install everything. All that would save is a tiny bit of disk space.

Only the planes around your aircraft will load.

Well, it takes time to download and time to install. I don't have the best internet connection - things get "dropped"/downloads may take 2 or three times to complete.

Then, as I said, WOAI package installation in FSX-SE isn't as smooth and straight-forward as I remember with FSX-boxed. I guess maybe I'm getting senile in my retirement, but FSX:SE is "harder" to manage than I remember FSX boxed was. YMMV

Finally, your "All that would save is a tiny bit of disk space" comment is kind of appropo as I just "ran out of" disk space (well, not quite, but I currently have less than 5% of my primary disk space remaining "free"). Disk space management isn't my strong suit - I tend to not prune and keep everything I've ever (down)loaded. And we really don't want to discuss the tragic mess that is my secondary disk, a 4TB HDD with more junk (movies, music, photos, programs, etc) on it than the garbage men take away every week in my hometown. Again, YMMV.

But thanks for the perspective, il88pp.

Amazing. They even have KFNL my hometown small airport. Although, Allegiant doesn't fly out of there anymore. They said it was due to lack of a control tower. But now the airport is like the first in the U.S. if not the world to get a virtual control tower. So I'm hoping more airlines pick KFNL. It was nice to have a local airline that flew to Vegas. About 20 years ago airlines out at Stapleton would fiery passengers between KFNL and the major airport in Denver. They don't do that anymore. Now Stapleton is no more and DIA (KDEN) took its place. Great airport!

If you install Delta, they should show up at all the airports they fly to, should they not. If I install Delta I should see Delta planes at KATL, KMCO, KMIA, KLGA right? I see them at some airports but not others why would that be? Asking for a friend, LOL.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

If you install Delta, they should show up at all the airports they fly to, should they not. If I install Delta I should see Delta planes at KATL, KMCO, KMIA, KLGA right? I see them at some airports but not others why would that be? Asking for a friend, LOL.

You will only see them according to their flight operations. That is, if they are in the middle of a flightplan, they aren't at an airport but are "in the air".

Also, gate/space availability can be an issue as far as spawning an aircraft that will be taking off from any specific airport. If there's no available gate or parking space, then the aircraft can't and won't spawn. This can be a function of AFCAD design, coding and "coordination" with aircraft.cfg entries - the afcad spaces have to align with a specific entry in the cfg file (ex., airliner, aircraft type, etc... and afcad spaces can only handle 3 different assignments ------ if I remember correctly [it's been a while {years} since I messed with these]).

And that brings up a point. The OP wants to install AI to just the U.S. and Canada, but I believe I've seen Delta in the Bahamas. So adding American, etc, will have them fly overseas as well. Especially cargo like UPS and FedEx.

I just found out that the flight plans at WOAI are for FS2004 only. I had to convert the plans with AIFP. And to top it off some of the airports used are only in FS2004 and AIFP had to automatically change the airports to the current versions. And some of the titles are messed up as AIFP spat out errors.

A good starting point is to first determine the major hubs for the airlines. For example American. They have 10 hubs which will give you a good starting point. If you take one of these and cross reference it with the WOAI website you will start to develop a network of airlines and airports that all have a common denominator.

American Airlines

Charlotte – Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)

Chicago – O’Hare International Airport (ORD)

Dallas – Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)

Los Angeles – Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)

Miami – Miami International Airport (MIA)

New York – John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)

New York – LaGuardia Airport (LGA)

Philadelphia – Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)

Phoenix – Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)

Washington – Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)

If you do not have some kind of order it will drive you bonkers. I have been down this road. One airport that I found very interesting to me was Miami. It has about 60 different airlines. That will keep you busy for awhile.

Another thing I have done to add to this train of thinking was to add the major hubs to my list of paid scenery. The smaller airports that are connected by the airlines that are incorporated into the major hub I will look for a freeware version of such and then fly into the hub. It is making for quite a network. To keep track of all this I am utilizing Google Earth.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

A good starting point is to first determine the major hubs for the airlines. ... ...

Another thing I have done to add to this train of thinking was to add the major hubs to my list of paid scenery. The smaller airports that are connected by the airlines that are incorporated into the major hub I will look for a freeware version of such and then fly into the hub. It is making for quite a network

And that's the best single post I've read on this subject across various forums. Thanks very much.

Archived