Making videos to send to friends ?

GBJim

Is there a way that I can make youtube type videos of my FSX flights, that I can share with my friends ? What is the best way to learn how to do this ?

Thank you.

Jim

Happiness is FSX Steam and Windows 7 . :)

First you need a You tube channel. Next you will need a way to record the video. I use OBS. Then you need to convert the video, again I use movie maker. And then the fun part figuring it all out and producing the video. A lot of trial and error, but doable.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Well, like has been said, you need to get a YouTube channel. Easy to do. The idea is that you then have a place to put the video which your friends can access and watch your video. You just get the link, which is automatically provided when you upload, and email it to them.

I use FRAPS (payware) to record the video. The freeware Fraps has a watermark on video frames (ok if you don't mind it). Fraps works good and will record at 30 fps and playback at 60 fps (equivalent). Nothing beats Fraps for recording Video and SOUND. OBS has a huge learning curve. Not worth it unless you plan to do a lot of 'fancy' edits, effects, titles, logos, overlays, etc.

You can get and use FSRecorder (for FS9 and for FSX) to do the 'replay' (and other 'fancy' stuff) but FS Replay works ok. It has a learning curve because it's feature rich (too much to learn in one day!). But is fantastic at what it does.

To make the video all you need is Windows Movie Maker. But for shear joy in doing edits and getting a final movie that 'rocks' get Sony Vegas 11 or Sony Vegas Movie Studio 15 ($49.99) (no need for more expensive version). Nothing beats Vegas.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Go to YouTube to wach review videos of Movie Studio 15

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Some time ago I did a short comparison of video capture programs & found that for quality Bandicam was best for me. If you use the freeware version there is a watermark & one only has a 10 minute record time - but one can see what time has run & then pause the flight. then restart Bandicam & restart your flight.

Post recording edit program is M$ Movie Maker - seems to be the easiest & will save it in youtube or most other formats.

My examples on youtube might still be available: DH90 dragonfly, Meteor U16, Civilian Coupe.

Good luck

Keith

If you have Windows10:

Windows10 has its own, built-in video capture function via the Gamebar.

In FSX, just type Windowskey+G to open the Gamebar.

It records at display resolution, and produces a .mp4 file.

If needed, shrink the video in size (and quality) afterwards with the standard Windows MovieMaker.

Rob

Thanks guys for your inputs, they were very informative. I'm using Windows 7. I'd like to further ask, which one of these produces the best quality videos, and might be the easiest to use ?

Jim

I my opinion Fraps beats them all. I have been using it since 2009 and it never (NEVER) has failed me. When new versions (64 bit, etc), or revisions, come out you get those free. You can't go wrong with Fraps. I never used Banicam or OBS so can't comment. But I do read reviews on them, so.... . And I have Windows 7 Pro and will not (EVER) get Windows 10.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

First you need a You tube channel. Next you will need a way to record the video. I use OBS. Then you need to convert the video, again I use movie maker. And then the fun part figuring it all out and producing the video. A lot of trial and error, but doable.

Here is a short video using the programs mentioned.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Thanks to everyone's help, all is good here now. I have installed FSRecorder, Fraps, and Youtube Movie Maker. I was so impressed with the Fraps free sample, that I immediately ordered the full size version. Below is a 30 second clip that I made with Fraps sample version.

Thanks to everyone here for your help. - Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8LayQxZrUo

Hey! Now were are talking! Short but sweet video. Sure glad you picked Fraps. And you will have to put your thinking cap on to 'work' with FSRecorder which does amazing things for videos. It can also 'Render' your flight video and make it play back smoother and with amazing quality. It has to have replay footage. You click 'Instant Replay' then go back into menu and while it is doing replay 'Render' is enabled in the menu. It will take 3 times as long to 'Render' but you wind up with HD video at 60+ fps (equivalent) that you can then run and record with Fraps. File sizes will be large but when you get it loaded to YouTube you can delete to regain HD space (first save to a USB stick to save if you want). You might need a 36 hr day once you get into making videos. But you can always stop (the Madness) and take a nap (me yeah) and come back later for more when you are refreshed- HA. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

You are absolutely right Chuck .... Fraps was the way to go !

Thanks for that. ( And the best thing about naps is, that they are absolutely FREE ! :D )

Jim

I watched your B-25 video in HD (720p) and it played smooth. Nice work - good flying too. There is no engine sound? You don't need a sound card. Fraps will find your 'Windows Sound' and will use that - see pic. Also if you use 'Locked Spot' there is no 'latency' (gradual transition). When you are flying you can use GPS or open a window (with left bracket) and make 'Outside/Top Down', and then leave them off when you are doing playback and recording. Just a tip or two.

Chuck B

Napamule

Thanks for the kind words Chuck. No, I didn't get engine sounds back with the youtube video ? ? ? , so I added music. Can you enlighten me about "Locked Spot" , and "Outside/Top Down", how do I apply them, and what they might do for me ?

Jim

Well there is a 'Spot' view and a 'Locked Spot' view. The 'Spot' view has latency (the plane turns and your view will be sideways and moving to 'catch up' to get back where it was before). 'Locked Spot' on the other hand does not have 'latency'. If you had it looking from directly behind the view will stay 'Locked' at that view. If you turn or spin the view will be locked. When you are on approach and turn or yaw you will be better able to see what your airplane is doing (diving, climbing, etc) so you can line up with center line on runway. So you are playing back FSRecorder but find yourself in 'Spot' view. Then is when you can use 'Shift+S' to cycle (backwards) back to 'Locked Spot'. Tricks of the trade.

The 'Top Down' window allows you to see the runway (zoom out with '-' and '+' keys). You can be 1/4 mile away in pattern and nail the turn to final every time! No having to look sidways out window. Just a handy tool. I use it when I drive vehicles on roads. I can be going 200 mph and 'see' the next curve up ahead even if it's hidden by terrain or trees in cockpit view. At least I know how sharp a turn it will be, and whether it will be a right or left turn, and slow down ahead of time.

And in Fraps 'Movies' tab there is the 'Sound Capture Setting' to tick (check mark). It may say Windows 7 Sound or just Windows Sound. Fraps will find the codec it needs and use it to record the sound. I guess you have PC speakers and if so then you will hear the sound when running FSX and therefore you should have sound recorded as part of Fraps video. That (Sound) is why I love Fraps where other 'Screen Recorders' will not record sound. FSRecorder 'render' video will no record sound. But you can record sound and add it to video. Or just play music. No biggee. You'll learn how later.

Chuck B

Napamule

:)Thanks for all the tips Chuck, I'll be trying them.

My first Sim flight video with the B-25 went bad. ( Some dummy here accidently deleted it. ) And so, I made a new one. This one is shorter, and has motor noise. Got it fixed. :)

Turn up your speakers ! >>>>

Jim

Archived