Problem installing FSX

Hello!

I tried to install FSX from my old computer by copying the contents of the disk over to the new one. This did not work. I then bought a disk drive for my new desktop and I tried to install FSX. I then got a DLL error. It could not find GameuxInstallHelper. I have cleaned out all of the folders manually and have used MicrosoftKB to try and remove it as well. I still continue to get this error and I have no idea why. Do I just install the DLL again? I checked my System32 and the SysWOW64 folder and it isn't in any of them. I am using FSX Deluxe Edition

Any help?

Sam

Don't download something from sites like 'freedll'. That will just be either crap or or virus.

The problem is either a incomplete install, or, deleting fsx folder after install but not using 'add/remove' programs.

When uninstalling fsx from add/remove programs it needs to be done twice. First once for acceleration or SP2, then once more for fsx itself. Many forget the seame step. If you forget the second step, you get this error.

There was a Microsoft Fixit for this. But it's not available any not I think. (unless you used it once some time ago and still have a copy.)

It also can happen if you start the install and cancel halfway through. Sometimes the install takes a long time and seems to get stuck. You just need to let it run, but some cancel it, and then get this issue.

I think kb928080 should fix this too. Did you run it properly? Meaning by typing the commands into an Administrator command prompt? The command prompt should say "TOKEN STORE REMOVED" when it finshes correctly.

Another option would be to restore a system image from the time before you started trying to install fsx. If that's an option for you. Maybe a bit drastic.

Just thinking. You may be able to do a system restore to the time before starting installing fsx. That's much less drastic. You use a System Restore Point.

It does not affect your files, it removes programs installe since then from the add/remove programs list and registry. (without deleting the files of those programs.). Most windows are set up to automatically create a 'System Restore Point' before every install you do, exactly to fix issues with faulty installed programs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Sam,

The probable reason why the copying attempt did not work is because the OS on the new computer did not have any Registry entries and therefore FSX was not recognised. These are written as part of the install process.

At what part of the install process do you get the .dll error. If it is occurring during the actual install progress (i.e. when data is being read from the disc) then it is likely that there is a possible problem with the disc (I,e, dirt, scratches etc). If the program installs and you get it when you run the sim then the file/install may be corrupt.

As you have indicated that you have manually cleaned the folders I suggest you try the following course of action.......

1. Download and install a registry cleaning tool such as CCleaner.

2. Go to the Programs and Features page and uninstall FSX and if installed SP 1 and 2 -do the SPs first.

3. Manually check for and delete any remaining FSX related folders. FSX stores data in a number of locations as well as the main FSX folder - at:

C:\Users\\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

4. Reboot - note if using Win 10 a simple restart is all that is required but if using Win 7/8 do a shut down followed by a manual restart.

5. Run the registry cleaning tool and then reboot.

6. Re-install FSX.

If the re-install process goes fine, fire up FSX and test BEFORE adding anything else.

If you get error messages report back to the thread will as much detail as possible included faulting module details. Also give details of your OS.

Regards

Brian

Archived