Converting FS9 water AFCADS to FSX problem.

ColR1948

When I was using FS9 I made a few water AFCADS for my AI seaplanes, they all worked no problem.

I put them in to the FSX Scenery folder but when I tried to make an AI flight plan I got an error because the AI flighplan editor didn't recognise the AFCAD.

So I tried the FS9 to FSX AFCAD converter but that too didn't recognise the water AFCAD, is there a solution rather than making a whole new set of AFCADS?

Hi Flatterman, like I said above I made numerous water AFCADS for FS9 and they all worked, I used them for my AI seaplanes.

I read some AFCADS will work in FSX without a problem and some won't and need converting, anyway I went to make an AI flight plan and the planner couldn't find the new AFCADS and yes I did update FSX beforehand.

So I looked online and found a program that converts FS9 afcads to FSX, well this might work for normal ones but it didn't for the water ones.

I tried ADE and that loaded the water AFCAD but then I tried to save it but it went to the projects folder and not a BGL, I'm not that familiar with ADE so I could be missing something or may be that won't convert either.

Col.

If you make a airport in ADE (new one or changing a stock or addon airport) you have to compile it to a bgl-file (for the addonfolder). Independent of that you can save the project as a file in the ADE projectfolder (xxx.ad4).

My question was which flightplanner you use. I myself am using the freeware AIFP3.

I never used FS9 so I can't help you for FS9 to FSX AFCAD converter, but I made many waterairports in FSX. And so I know what is necessary in FSX for working waterairports.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Hi Flatterman, I'll try again, I'm using ADE175 by the way.

I am using AIFP3 for my planner.

I could make a few new ai water afcads but I was being lazy, shame really because I had a good few mostly around the UK and a couple in France and Germany.

P.S. as a side issue I tried to edit a stock airport EGCC to put some parking codes in but ADE couldn't open it, said something about the path not being right. could not find part of the path 'D:\ADE\FSX\scenery\0501\scenery\APX47130.bgl

I have my FSX on a separate drive not on the C drive,

Col

Hi Col,

WRT not being recognised in the AI planner - this may simply be down to you having to rebuild the programs airport database - in AIFP3 you can do this by clicking Airports > Bulk update. I would try re-adding the FS9 AFCADS in FSX and then rebuild the AIFP database to see if they are recognised.

WRT to converting the AFCADS - What do you mean when you say 'it went to the projects folder and not a BGL'.

By default, ADE saves compiled files, as .bgl files, in the project folder but you can change this to any folder you wish - my preference is a folder called ADE Work. You then need to copy the file into an active scenery folder for it to show. I advise against compiling directly into a active scenery folder until you have fully edited and tested the project. I use the aforementioned folder for this - I have it listed in FSX as a scenery folder but only have it 'activated' in FSX when editing/testing. I then move the final version to a suitable location within my main scenery folder structure.

If the original .bgl file contained no airport data ADE won't open it and will display an error message. Likewise, by default ADE tells you if there are any errors encountered when compiling the required .bgl file(s).

WRT FS9 AFCADS and FSX in general - problems associated with FS9 AFCADs in FSX are normally associated with either objects/textures (associated with buildings etc) not showing correctly or not at all and/or problems associated with any FS9 ground textures that may have been used. Sometimes, problems associated with altitude alignment can also occur. Usually, any problems encountered with the actual 'airport' AI functionality itself is present in FS9 as well.

Again ADE is very helpful in that, when you open a AFCAD and it loads the data, any unrecognised/missing objects from your ADE objects database are normally displayed as black squares. As this statement implies, you need to build a objects database within ADE so that it can fully recognise any objects used in an airport - see the comprehensive user manual included with ADE for details

WRT to the EGCC issue - Not sure what you have done or what method you have used but the path given ('D:\ADE\FSX\scenery\0501\scenery\APX47130.bgl) is pointing to you saving the stock airport base FSX location within ADE. The problem is that the APX .bgl file is not the airport itself - it also contains other airports as well as EGCC. Try opening the stock airport again as follows:

A. Start ADE and select File > Open Stock Airport. A new window will open.

B. Enter EGCC into the field located to the left of the Find Now button and then click on this button. EGCC will be listed in the box below.

C. Click on the EGCC entry and the fields below with be field with details of the airports' location within FSX. Click on the Open button to 'load' the airport into ADE.

D. Once the airport has loaded click File > Save Airport As. A new window will open and, depending on the save and file location options you have configured, it will suggest a name for the airport (normally something like EGCC_ADEX.bgl) and a save location folder (by default based on the info you have given) this will probably be D:\ADE\FSX\Projects - if not then change the entry to this for the time being - and then click save. This will save a copy of the airport that you then use make changes whilst leaving the default airport untouched..

Once you have made the required changes and compiled the airport place a copy of the .bgl into FSX as you would any other piece of addon scenery.

Regards

Brian

Do you have really the FSX inside the ADE folder?

Perhaps the ADE settings are wrong? Take a look to (ADE) Settings>Options>Folders and check there your path.

I myself have no problems loading EGCC.

One slight problem, after I compiled the water afcad and saved it in FSX, when I went to do an AI flightplan AIFP wanted to know all the details of the new airport, name, country and long lat etc.

I tried to enter the long lat figures in but AIFP kept putting the * after the figures even though I put it in the right place.

Then it wouldn't save the leg so I had to abort the planner.

After compiling the new airport - I think it is a new airport - you have to put it in the AIFP database. I make it with the (AIFP) menu Airports> Find/Collect Airports.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another go at this, I can select the water/sea base in the selection screen, I can place my invisible aircraft on one of the spare docks, I can see the AI aircraft sat there but when it's time to taxi it doesn't move, no engine start, just sits there.

It's annoying I had all this working in FS9, also no faults showing on the water afcad.

It is probably nothing to do with the addon airport. More likely you are checking the wrong time or day. Trafficplans work different in fsx. Days are numbered differently. And time in a trafficslan can be local time or gmt.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm using SuperTrafficViewBoard to view the AI, I do sometimes pick the wrong time and day but I had this particular one doing a 24hr plan and I made sure I selected the right time.

In STVB it said it was on it's final call, other land aircraft work OK.

Hi Col

The flightplan is OK.

I have no XDWI neither XGFF.

I tried it with my own waterairports and my own aircraft. At (UTC) nine o'clock AM sharp my DHC6 Sea Air Lines started to its trip and 11:45 it returned.

It's annoying I had all this working in FS9, also no faults showing on the water afcad.

If there would be faults in the water afcad I think the aircraft would vanish at the depart time or would be invisible.

Try an other aircraft.

.... because the AIFP couldn't find the airport....

This could be a problem in FSX. Have you ever tried to start from this other airport?

Archived