FSX - Back to 1962

rjord

With FSX and Prepard3D we can all fly the latest high tech aircraft and use FMS data and an autopilot to safely land at airports around the world.

In effect each and every one of us FSX and Prepar3d pilots are learning to fly aircraft like fully trained professional pilots.

But what if you were a professional pilot but you had no autopilot, no FMS data and the world was completely different to today.

This is the premise of the latest project I am about to start.

How would your piloting skills be if you were taken back to 1962 to a world where instead of flying passenger or cargo aircraft in the latest Boeing you ended up in the cockpit of a DC-3 or DC-4.

This is what my project "FSX - Back to 1962" and "P3D - Back to 1962" will be about.

Qantas in the 60s.jpg

This project will be done in stages beginning with converting Australia to how it looked in 1962.

My initial challenge will be to get a list of which airports were not operational as at January 1962. If I can determine the airports that were not built by 1962 then I will completely remove them from my scenery package.

I am sure a list is available somewhere but have not found it yet...if you know where i can find historical data of when the airports became operational please let me know.

Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport will be replaced with how it lookedin 1962 and the extension of the runway out over Botany Bay will also be removed.

Below is how the Airport looked during this time.

Mascot airport.jpg

Archived