What Addon Is Needed To Add ATC Interaction to FSX?

Goggleface

Hello One and All!

If this question sounds like it's coming from a newbie, there's a good reason. . . .it IS. So please bear with me here.

Question: What add on title(s) would I need to purchase in order to add interactive ATC to FSX (Steam Edition, if that matters)? In other words, I want to have ATC giving me all the usual instructions before takeoff, hand me off to other frequencies, etc. In turn, I would have to respond appropriately via gaming headset or whatever it may be.

One additional question while I'm "at it" here. If I buy an add on for FSX directly from the manufacturer's site (as opposed to buying the same title through Steam), do I need to make sure it specifies that it will work w/ the Steam edition of FSX? Or do I need to give that thought at all?

Thanks in advance to all who took time to read this.

Dave

aka "Goggleface"

One additional question while I'm "at it" here. If I buy an add on for FSX directly from the manufacturer's site (as opposed to buying the same title through Steam), do I need to make sure it specifies that it will work w/ the Steam edition of FSX? Or do I need to give that thought at all?

I can't speak to your first question. I don't bother with the ATC built into the sim at all. It's just too stupid, and only annoys me. If you're looking for ATC by real humans, vice an AI, you can try Vatsim. That has real humans on most of the time, most areas of the world, acting as real ATC's would for flight simmers. Lower suicide rate, though :rolleyes:

As to your second question: As a general rule, usually, most of the time, not invariably, if it works in FSX, it'll work in FSX:SE. Often, the biggest difficulty/problems such addons have is the auto-installer has trouble finding the correct folders to place things into for FSX:SE, unless it's made for SE.

If this occurs, though, you can install the addon to a Temp folder somewhere, and then manually install into SE yourself, thus obviating the problem.

If you buy things from Steam, though, they will install to a specific directory structure under SE, and need to be there to function properly. But, anything you buy from Steam for FSX:SE will probably work properly in FSX:SE, wouldn't you think?

Not the greatest answers, I know. Sorry. I'm too financially restricted (poor :D) to buy payware, so I am not certain about the specifics of such things.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I can't speak to your first question. I don't bother with the ATC built into the sim at all. It's just too stupid, and only annoys me. If you're looking for ATC by real humans, vice an AI, you can try Vatsim. That has real humans on most of the time, most areas of the world, acting as real ATC's would for flight simmers. Lower suicide rate, though :rolleyes:

As to your second question: As a general rule, usually, most of the time, not invariably, if it works in FSX, it'll work in FSX:SE. Often, the biggest difficulty/problems such addons have is the auto-installer has trouble finding the correct folders to place things into for FSX:SE, unless it's made for SE.

If this occurs, though, you can install the addon to a Temp folder somewhere, and then manually install into SE yourself, thus obviating the problem.

If you buy things from Steam, though, they will install to a specific directory structure under SE, and need to be there to function properly. But, anything you buy from Steam for FSX:SE will probably work properly in FSX:SE, wouldn't you think?

Not the greatest answers, I know. Sorry. I'm too financially restricted (poor :D) to buy payware, so I am not certain about the specifics of such things.

Have fun!

Pat☺

Many thanks for your response, Pat. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question, and what you shared w/ me about the "Steam factor" end of adds on is indeed helpful. It sure tells me something I didn't know, and that was the potential problem I might run into w/ "non made for Steam" adds. At least, I now know how to handle it when/if it pops up.

I can definitely relate to what you said about the ATC built into the sim. Even as a newbie, it didn't take me long to form the same opinion you did about it!! :O

Thanks again for the input, Pat.

Dave

Archived