Bye, bye FSX

GridNorth

That's it I've had my fill of it. Despite having Aerosoft Airbus and Orbx scenery I'm kicking FSX into touch. I've just done a totally clean install of Windows 10 and downloaded my copy of FSX. It failed whilst installing the C++ stuff with an error. I looked at the Steam site as instructed for more info only to be told it was not available. When I pay a lot of money for software I expect it to work. I don't expect to have to go off searching for error codes and resolutions for failures which I constantly have to do even when FSX is running (more or less)

Don't get me wrong I've done my share of editing the registry and config files but I just don't have the energy for that any more, it's sould destroying. X Plane 11 here I come.

Alan

So, actually, FSX-SE (Steam Edition) didn't work out for you, not FSX, the disc-based version. I've always thought that when a hobby ceases to be fun, it's time to find a new hobby. I don't run FSX-SE, but never had any problems with other Steam-based games like the trainsims. Best of luck with XP 11, hope it will do better for you. :(

That's right. It seemed more stable than the boxed version but it still required lots of tweaking of config files and other apps to get it to work anything like reasonably. Every time I added one of these it would set me off on another set of investigations to see why that was not working.

I've downloaded the demo of X Plane adjusted the graphics settings and that, as they say, seems to be that. Controls and key assignments set up in minutes as opposed to hours and all within X Plane. Keep your eyes open for my sales of Orbx and other add ons. :-)

Alan

Sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble in trying to get FSX installed. I have both FSX and X-Plane on Windows 10 and have found no issues installing either.

Both simulators are fantastic, excelling in their own particular areas, and feel they compliment each other nicely!

Hi Alan,

....keywords CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10......

1. After a clean install on ANY OS a key thing to do is to manually run a update session to ensure that it is fully upto date.

2. As Win 10 relies solely on later versions of essential libraries, like C++ for example, there will always be something missing - the same will be true if you carry out fresh installs of any OS. It is therefore always best to download the latest versions of any earlier versions of such libraries that you any need, especially when you are knowingly going to install products that were developed prior to the initial release date of the OS.

It should also be noted that many older products contain older and/or incompatible versions of essential libraries. Again, taking Win 10/FSX as an example the C++ package included with FSX will be an old out of date version that will contain some files that are not compatible with Win 10.

The fix is easy - download the latest versions of the required C++ libraries (for FSX I suggest at least the 2005 version) plus read up on other essential libraries that may be required, for example .NET (for FSX I recommend at least V4 or V4.5), Direct X (this is an essential one as, by default, Win 10 does not ship with DX9, which is required by FSX) and will only come with either V10, 11 and/or 12 depending on which 'build' of Win 10 you have used.

Get the latest Redistributable versions, download/save to a temp location and then run them using Admin rights. Install one library at a time and REBOOT between each. Following the final install and reboot try install FSX-SE again - as you have the latest versions of the older stuff available it will not attempt to install then.

All of these libraries are 'standalone' and installing multiple version will not affect how your PC works. For example a quick check of what versions of C++ I have installed shows that I have 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013 currently installed.

Lastly, getting and installing multiple version of the suggested libraries MAY put an end to the 'failures' you have to contend with. I have been running FSX (boxed version) on two Win 10 based rigs for about 2 years now with NO issues whatsoever related to the OS or FSX itself

Regards

Brian

I had FSX Steam addition installed for some time but I always seemed to be fiddling with scripts, config files and add-ons like FSUIPC in order to get it to work. Then I had issues with Windows 10 updating and getting caught in a vicious loop that I could not get out of. This involved a total clean install of Windows 10 and FSX. This time round as soon as I encountered an issue I decided that was it. In comparison the X Plane demo has been a dream to work with and seems to offer all I need without add-ons. I like that, it's not as "techie" to deal with. I can't help but wonder if all the faffing about I did contributed to my problems in the first place.

Alan

I've been running FSX Acceleration under Win 8, 8.1 and 10 now for about 5 years, no issues at all. Period.

But then again, before I installed the beast, I gathered information about what to do and what NOT to do, especially in this hallowed forum - such as the uiautomationcore.dll fix and Kosta's tweaking guide.

Jorgen

What you are all saying is true but makes my point. If I purchase a piece of software why should I have to concern myself with C++ libraries, where it gets loaded etc. etc. It should just work. X Plane 11 did exactly that. Sorry FSX has been flaky for quite a while and each step forward in other areas causes it problems.

Alan

Alan, regarding libraries - X-Plane too will need to have additional libraries installed at some point, and unless they are positioned correctly in your scenery_packs.ini file, you'll also run into issues.

If both FSX and X-Plane are left as 'vanilla' installs, then issues are less common; however the more you add to them, the greater the chances are of an issue occurring.

FSX (by design) is more picky about where things are installed compared to X-Plane, but like all good things, they both require a bit of love!!

Shoulda stuck with regular FSX version and Windows 7. Zero issues.

Yup!! My desktop is now my gaming computer. (Specs below)

With my iPhone I no longer need it for internet or email.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Archived