Finally decided to try P3D

dnpaul

So the download will probably be done by the time I get home from work today.

I've been with the MSFS franchise since FS98.

Recognizing that P3D is clearly the platform for the future, I am going for it.

I do have a very robust FSX setup with all of the usual add-ons like:

ORBX FTX Global and Scotland

FTX Vector

Active Sky latest version

REX Texture Direct w/ Soft Clouds

...and many payware aircraft from the usual suspects, CS, PMDG, QWings, Feelthere, Majestic, etc.

Will probably get into the aircraft more later, but right now I'm just looking for any basic hints, caveats, etc before I install. I plan to keep my FSX setup on this computer (it is on SSD drive by itself).

Biggest hint - do NOT apply ANY of the old FSX tweaks to P3D - either they are not needed or they have been added internally.

P3D is more about smoothness than raw FPS - tune your system for the LOWEST fps where you can get smooth performance. Many people, including myself, lock at 20 and have all the bells and whistles and smooth performance.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a chance to play around with the program a little bit. On my system (I5 6600K running @4.2, GTX 950) I seem to get smoother performance and less stutters with frames set to unlimited. Most other sliders are around midpoint (normal, medium, etc).

Visually, the stock P3D looks a bit better than stock FSX. But FSX with Orbx, REX TD, Soft Clouds, and Active Sky looks quite a bit better than stock P3D.

So I am in the process of installing REX TD and Orbx, which already support P3D4; and I purchased the Active Sky upgrade to P3D.

I also purchased the Majestic Q400 upgrade to P3D4, so that I have a complex plane to do my testing in.

Looks like I have a lot of planes to re-purchase for the P3D4 versions. I have in FSX right now:

CS 727

CS 737

CS L1011

CS 777

CS 767

CS C130

QW 146/RJ

QW 757

Feelthere ERJ 135/145

PMDG 737NGX

PMDG MD-11

PMDG JS4100

Aerosoft Airbus 318-19/320-321

Aerosoft Twin Otter

Majestic Q400 (already have P3D4 version)

TDFi 717

Coolsky DC-9

A few of these already have v4 versions ready for purchase, several do not, but they are said to be in the works.

P3D4 probably wasn't a good purchase for me. I am happy with my FSX setup, I do not have stability or OOM issues. I just wanted to see what P3D was like. It isn't quite the holy grail that many make it out to be. But it is something to play around with, and that's what I'll be doing, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

P3D4 probably wasn't a good purchase for me. I am happy with my FSX setup, I do not have stability or OOM issues. I just wanted to see what P3D was like. It isn't quite the holy grail that many make it out to be. But it is something to play around with, and that's what I'll be doing, lol.

I found this matches my experience as well. P3Dv4 has nicer water reflections and shadows in the cockpit, but FSX has much better anti-aliasing and (logically) way more compatible aircraft and scenery.

Things get better (and much worse) with X-Plane 11. The default scenery, airports and aircraft are a major step up from FSX or P3Dv4. Unfortunately the useless ATC and the absolutely awful flickering/shimmering ground textures are a major disappointment.

In the end FSX is the much better sim for me, those with lots of money to spend on their computer (i.e. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and 4K monitor) will have a different outlook.

Mike Mann

I found this matches my experience as well. P3Dv4 has nicer water reflections and shadows in the cockpit, but FSX has much better anti-aliasing and (logically) way more compatible aircraft and scenery.

Things get better (and much worse) with X-Plane 11. The default scenery, airports and aircraft are a major step up from FSX or P3Dv4. Unfortunately the useless ATC and the absolutely awful flickering/shimmering ground textures are a major disappointment.

In the end FSX is the much better sim for me, those with lots of money to spend on their computer (i.e. GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and 4K monitor) will have a different outlook.

I've also read that XP doesn't have seasons that change or realistic weather, either.

P3D4 is interesting in that it is like getting to see where Aces Studio might have gone with MSFS. I must say the first time I banked into a turn and the dynamic light and shadows moved across the panel, I said "wow" out loud! Pretty cool. Also, autogen "pop" is much improved. It is almost mesmerizing watching new objects smoothly assert themselves as you fly along. Distant mountains look amazing from a long way away, too.

I am looking forward to the Coolsky DC-9 coming to P3D4. Espen says it is in the works.

Archived