Scenery Config Editor

Toriu

After trying to install some scenery (X) into FSX/Acceleration I think I screwed up, and now have "198 Areas have Errors" warnings in the Scenery Config Editor. They start at 685 Scenery\AFRI all the way down to 882 Scenery\World.

I have deleted the scenery (X) but the errors are still showing in the Scenery Config Editor.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ray

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

Hi Ray,

Based on the info given for some of the areas and also on the area numbers this seems to be reflecting problems with the default FSX areas - although 198 areas is too high a number for the standard default areas which IME max out a 12O so some other areas added are definitely affected.

Two options to try.....one quick and easy that may resolve the issue, the second not so quick and easy but will give you an idea of what has caused the issue.

Option 1 - make a backup copy of the current scenery.cfg file, either by renaming or making a copy of it, and then delete the live copy. Start FSX and it will build a new one based on what it finds.

Option 2 - First, it should be noted that the numbers you have quoted are for the standard view listing number as viewed in the SCE List view or in the FSX settings page BUT, crucially, it is not the actual assigned area.### number. The last entry number 882 Scenery\World (which is the first default FSX area) will actually be [Area.001] when viewed in a text editor.

SCE has a in-built text editor (accessed via tab to the Left of the SCE default view) and it will mark/highlight problem areas. Use the text editor to look at the entries in turn.

An example of a valid entry for the current 882 area should look like this example:

[Area.001]

Title=Default Terrain

Texture_ID=1

Local=Scenery\World

Layer=1

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

NOTE: The Texture_ID=1 entry only appears in this Area entry and no other so all subsequent entries should not have it. Also note that the way the listing is displayed may be in a different order but as long as all of the entries are present it shouldn't cause an issue.

Common errors are often associated with the Local= entry - this tells FSX where to find the scenery. Most default FSX locations as installed (excluding the main Addon Scenery folder) only need the entry as displayed in the example (note the =Scenery part of the entry is common the bit after the \ changes with the area. The default Addon Scenery path should read Local=Addon Scenery. As you have the Accel version you will also see some Local=Scenery\Cities\ entries.

Scenery stored in folders created within the default Addon Scenery folder (for example at Addon Scenery\ or Addon Scenery\Scenery\ or outside of default FSX scenery areas, either within the FSX main folder or totally outside of the FSX, (e.g at FSX\ or C:\My FSX Scenery\ need an entry that fully reflects their location - so for these examples the entries need to be like these.....

Local=Addon Scenery\

Local=Addon Scenery\Scenery\

Local=C:\FSX\

Local=C:\My FSX Scenery\

For each of the affected areas you will need to check that:

A: the folder exists.

B: The Local= path points to the location and exactly mirrors the folder name.

Regards

Brian

Thank you Brian for your detailed reply.

I will try the quick and easy first.

1 to 577- Purchased and free Airports est.

578 to 663- Tongass Fjords Higher Priority/NL2000v4/FTX/OBX

664 to 685- Edwards-AFB/Scenery\ASIA

686 to 883- 198 Areas have Errors (With red triangle).

Ray

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_pfe_supporter.jpg

If you would delete the scenery.cfg file FSX does not build a new copy.

----------

Keep the backup you already made. Don't delete that.

----------

There is a default copy in the main fsx folder.

This has the default sections. Try adding those to your scenery.cfg file. Add it at the top.

Make sure the lowest number of the section you add is not higher then the top number of what is already there.(Area numbers should be used only once.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you would delete the scenery.cfg file FSX does not build a new copy.

----------

Keep the backup you already made. Don't delete that.

----------

There is a default copy in the main fsx folder.

This has the default sections. Try adding those to your scenery.cfg file. Add it at the top.

Make sure the lowest number of the section you add is not higher then the top number of what is already there.(Area numbers should be used only once.)

@ il88pp.....

I have deleted the scenery.cfg file several times over the years and FSX has always rebuilt a new one. It should be noted that there are several copies of the file in locations inside and outside of FSX - they can be found at the following locations

The 'live' file (i.e. the one that records changes to the library and is used by FSX when loading is located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX.

Copies of the files can also be found in the root directory of FSX (i.e.FSX\) and in C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX. The files in these two locations are essentially 'backups' created during the installation process and only contain info regarding the default areas and is used to 'build' a replacement .cfg file. Both also share the same creation date which is related to the date that the file was created by the developer and not the install date of the sim.

@ Ray....

Hi Brian, Unfortunately got this message when I dilated the scenery cng, so put it back

I assume that, with the original file back in place, you don't receive the error message in the attached image anymore.......

Based on the listing details you gave in post #3 I suspect that the areas 686 to 883 (as viewed in List view) are a mix of invalid entries relating to default FSX areas and some form of duplications or other invalid entries - the invalid default entries amount to about 100 as there are 120 defaults in the Accel version, the last entry (assuming it has not been moved up/down the priority list) being the Edwards entry.

I suggest that you ensure that you have a backup copy of the 'live' and then use the text editor in SCE to view the entries and see if there are any standout pointers to the problem - i.e. missing lines, duplicate Area.### or Layer= numbers. Note that in SCE list view (where you see the red triangles) there is an error column that usually gives basic details of the problem - you may have to expand it to see the error details. Also note that if you click on an entry in the list view and then switch to the editor it will open on that entry.

It is worth re-iterating the differences between the list view and the editor view. The entry at the top of the list view is marked as Priority 1 but in the editor view it will be listed under it's assigned area.### number and will usually appear at the bottom as the last entry. Note, however, this is not always the case, especially if you have added other areas and moved them down the priority list to be below this entry. This is where the Layer= entry comes in as this details the position within the Priority list and duplicate entries will cause issues.

Another option, based on what has been suggested by il88pp, is to use one of the 'backup' files detailed above to get a list of the defaults areas and use it to overwrite entries. Note that this may leave you with some scenery that is no longer active so you will have to cross check installed against active. I suggest that you do this as follows:

A. Open one of the default 'backup' files using notepad.

B. Open SCE in list view. Scroll down and select entry number 663 - based on your listing this is the last entry before the default FSX entries start.

C. Go to Editor view. Note that the selected entry is highlighted.

D. Place the mouse cursor at the end of the last entry directly above.

E. Scroll up to the very top of the page - do this by using either the mouse wheel or the 'slider' bar located to the right as it is essential that the cursor remains where placed in step C - and whilst holding down the SHIFT key, click immediately in front of the [General] entry. This will highlight all of the entries between the cursors click spots.

F. Go to the opened 'backup', click on any white space and press Ctrl+A - this will select all of the files contents. Press Ctrl+C to copy the contents.

G. Go back to SCE and press Ctrl+V to paste the new info.

H. Save and close SCE and test.

Also check your PM box for another solution.........:)

Regards

Brian

Archived