Windows 10 2 years on

HPR7 mad

Hi all

I know there has been many posts concerning Windows 10 and FS over the last couple of years, but I just wanted to share my experience's with it over the last 18 months or so.

I bought a new Acer laptop 18 months ago and it came preloaded with Windows 10 home, 64 bit, and although it has only very modest spec, I have been able to load and run both FS9 and FSX with great success. I am lucky to have enough space on the hard drive to have 3 separate FS9 folders, FSX, and various addons installed, and all have been working fine for the last 18 months. It took a little work when I first had the laptop to tweek it and get rid of all the crap, and shut down all the rubbish that MS seem to like putting in there OS, but it has been well worth it, and I dont regret going over to Windows 10. I only use the laptop for loading software, testing and practising with it, before I commit to adding it to my main sim PC.

Laptop Spec:

Intel Pentium N3700 Quad Core running at 2.4ghz

Intel HD Graphics (4168mb total graphics memory)

8gb DDR3 Memory

1 TB hard Drive

Windows 10 Home 64bit, version 1151, build 10856.164

A modest spec I know, but hey, it works. So below is the list of things that I have installed, disabled, turned off or otherwise got rid of to get my system to run consitently well.

First off, W10 is a very clever system, and I am told that when you install FS9, FSX or any legacy 32bit programme, it will know this and automatically install it to run in compatability mode, Windows XP service pack 2 I believe. I have never had to right click and do this manually, so I assume that this is correct, so that should be the compatability issue sorted.

Disabled Cortana.

Disabled GoogleUpdates (gosh thats a hungry programme)

Installed Avast Antivirus, which automatically disables Windows defender.

Installed Microsoft Group Policy Editor and disabled windows updates permanently. (only works on 64 bit OS)

Removed or disabled any apps that I will never use, some apps can't be removed, so I just don't use them.

Installed PC decrapifier, great for checking and removing unwanted crap and rubbish.

Installed Malwarebytes Ad-aware, finds and removes garbage in your web browser and any PUPs.

Installed Malwarebytes Antivirus free.

Installed O&O Disc Image.

Installed O&O Defrag

Installed Revo Uninstaller, a great free progamme that allows you to remove unwanted apps and programmes, including

registry entries and leftover files, safely, includes a browser and file cleaner, plus other nifty bits and pieces. Also has an

autorun manager that allows to easily disable programmes from starting automatically.

Wrote a simple batch file that I can run to shut down any unwanted programmes before I start FS.

When I installed FS9 and FSX, I created a folder on the desktop for each sim and installed both programmes to these folders, this avoids the permissions problems. I also created a scenery folder for each sim, and I put all addons into there respective folder and added them to the sim as normal. FS doesn't mind where the addon scenery is, as long as you point the sim to it.

When I had finished loading all the bits and pieces for the sims, I ran O&O defrag several times as per Nick Needhams method and then cleaned up any leftover bits. Apart from routine maintenance, that was about it. I have the ususal amount of addons for weather, terrain, Radar Contact, FS Real Time etc etc, and a I have now been running this laptop for 18 months, and have never had any problems with it, or either of the sims or addons.

I am no computer genius, but with a bit of work and patience, I have managed to get W10 and FS to play nicely together, and will never go back to any other OS, I love the look and the smoothness of W10, and I think it is a great OS, for me personally its the best MS has released. With regard to turning off windows updates, that is a personal choice of mine, I have a good AV and run the other AV and spyware programmes on a weekly basis, and have never had a problem. As a belt and braces I do a complete disc image once a month a save it to a 1tb usb drive, you never know!

If I can be of any help to anyone regarding my experience's with W10, then by all means drop me a pm,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]201197[/ATTACH]

cheers :)

Richard

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

I also run FS2004 with Windows10. I tried it first as a challenge - I am for from being a geek-, when I changed my computer, and it worked. I had to download a dll file, the name of which I can't remember, and the exe program fit to FS2004. That was all. Pretty simple. I like FS2004, because I started with it. I got also FSX (Steam), but I must say I prefer FS2004 for the mere pleasure of piloting.

It never occurred to me to install them to a folder right on the desktop! That's simple genius right there!

I've been (tweaking and) flying FSX for several months and gotten it running very nicely with a good selection of AI airlines. I mucked up FS9 a few months ago and removd it with the intention of putting it back on the computer later. Later came last week and I realized I could run it at over 60FPS with all sliders maxed out. I'm now adding stuff and experimenting again so it'll probably be re-mucked within the month. Still learning the rules of Win10 though and kind of surprised I haven't mucked it up. Cortana kinda creeped me out. I think I got her turned off though.

• 1 month later...
Hi all

I know there has been many posts concerning Windows 10 and FS over the last couple of years, but I just wanted to share my experience's with it over the last 18 months or so.

I bought a new Acer laptop 18 months ago and it came preloaded with Windows 10 home, 64 bit, and although it has only very modest spec, I have been able to load and run both FS9 and FSX with great success. I am lucky to have enough space on the hard drive to have 3 separate FS9 folders, FSX, and various addons installed, and all have been working fine for the last 18 months. It took a little work when I first had the laptop to tweek it and get rid of all the crap, and shut down all the rubbish that MS seem to like putting in there OS, but it has been well worth it, and I dont regret going over to Windows 10. I only use the laptop for loading software, testing and practising with it, before I commit to adding it to my main sim PC.

Laptop Spec:

Intel Pentium N3700 Quad Core running at 2.4ghz

Intel HD Graphics (4168mb total graphics memory)

8gb DDR3 Memory

1 TB hard Drive

Windows 10 Home 64bit, version 1151, build 10856.164

A modest spec I know, but hey, it works. So below is the list of things that I have installed, disabled, turned off or otherwise got rid of to get my system to run consitently well.

First off, W10 is a very clever system, and I am told that when you install FS9, FSX or any legacy 32bit programme, it will know this and automatically install it to run in compatability mode, Windows XP service pack 2 I believe. I have never had to right click and do this manually, so I assume that this is correct, so that should be the compatability issue sorted. In my experience, I had to manually select Compatibility Mode for my FS2004's. Not for all 4 versions, just for 2 (I think), which is strange, as they are all in C:\, as well as selecting 'Run as Admin"

Disabled Cortana.-Not Done

Disabled GoogleUpdates (gosh thats a hungry programme)

Installed Avast Antivirus, which automatically disables Windows defender. Me too

Installed Microsoft Group Policy Editor and disabled windows updates permanently. (only works on 64 bit OS) Nope... Definatly NOT.. your PC HAS to be updated with security issues within the Operating System. I always like to have the latest optimised operating version.

Removed or disabled any apps that I will never use, some apps can't be removed, so I just don't use them. If needed, I did delete a couple that I would never use

Installed PC decrapifier, great for checking and removing unwanted crap and rubbish.

I am using CCleaner & Glarrys for that

Installed Malwarebytes Ad-aware, finds and removes garbage in your web browser and any PUPs.

Me too

Installed Malwarebytes Antivirus free.

I'm using Avast Free

Installed O&O Disc Image. I just copy a default install of my FS2004 onto a portable hard drive, & keep that updated, & its then easy to copy & paste into our PC's at our Virtual Flying Club (I'm the club 'librarian')

Installed O&O Defrag Why? Windows 10 does it for you as & when required

Installed Revo Uninstaller, a great free progamme that allows you to remove unwanted apps and programmes, including. I use either the uninstall option within CCleaner or Glarrys

registry entries and leftover files, safely, includes a browser and file cleaner, plus other nifty bits and pieces. Also has an

autorun manager that allows to easily disable programmes from starting automatically.

Wrote a simple batch file that I can run to shut down any unwanted programmes before I start FS.

There was a program called 'Enditall' I think, that we used to use in the good old days.

When I installed FS9 and FSX, I created a folder on the desktop for each sim and installed both programmes to these folders, this avoids the permissions problems. I also created a scenery folder for each sim, and I put all addons into there respective folder and added them to the sim as normal. FS doesn't mind where the addon scenery is, as long as you point the sim to it.

A bit 'shaky' to use the desktop to have as a depository for install folders! You might get a computer hiccup that cleans up the desktop for you, & the more stuff, icons & program files on the desktop tends to slow things down a bit. My sim folders are all in C:\, under their different names. Never a editing or permission problem at all.

When I had finished loading all the bits and pieces for the sims, I ran O&O defrag several times as per Nick Needhams method and then cleaned up any leftover bits.

Not needed at all, remember that whenever anything is installed, things get shifted around & it, for me, was a case of 'Analysis Paralysis' trying to tweak the last drop out of the thing. Remember, Windows 10 does a good job in maintaining itself.

Apart from routine maintenance, that was about it. I have the ususal amount of addons for weather, terrain, Radar Contact, FS Real Time etc etc, and a I have now been running this laptop for 18 months, and have never had any problems with it, or either of the sims or addons.

I am no computer genius, but with a bit of work and patience, I have managed to get W10 and FS to play nicely together, and will never go back to any other OS, I love the look and the smoothness of W10, and I think it is a great OS, for me personally its the best MS has released. With regard to turning off windows updates, that is a personal choice of mine, I have a good AV and run the other AV and spyware programmes on a weekly basis, and have never had a problem. As a belt and braces I do a complete disc image once a month a save it to a 1tb usb drive, you never know!

As I said, for me, Windows 10 updates are pretty essential for me, to keep my PC in order. I really enjoy Windows 10 , & I've found it slightly faster than my previous Windows 8.1 & Windows 7.

I also keep all my add-ons, freeware & payware on a few spare portable drives, I have 2x 1TB, 2x 500GB, & an older 360GB.. I keep my main backup install on both the 1TB drives.

If I can be of any help to anyone regarding my experience's with W10, then by all means drop me a pm,

cheers :)

Richard

It's great that we have slightly different ideas, but both work for us.

Oh, Just an aside, we, at our virtual flying club, have built up 2x simulators, an Avro Shackleton, using original 'glass', seats, throttle,yoke & pedals (about 90% scale size) to fit on a trailer, & an AirMacci MB326 twin seater, this was used here in South Africa as a trainer & was known as an 'Impala' also using original parts including seats. For these, we use FS2004, as we have the correct freeware scenery & plane model. The Shack is actually a payware model. The PC's we use are very basic, 4GB RAM, integrated graphics, etc.

We find it extremely immersive (as opposed to realistic) when we watch real pilots who actually flew these aircraft, 'bump' in their seats when anticipating touchdown. So you actually do not have to have the latest, or best to have a decent sim.

Regards,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived