FSX Gold Alternative

inky160

Long time user of FSX Gold Acceleration but, Disk 1 gives errors no matter which of my 3 new PCs I try (Windows 10). Damaged Disk I suppose.

At this point I have to ask, what is out there for flight simmers as an alternative to FSX Gold?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Ron

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

What's out there is the Steam version of FSX (Gold equivalent) with a few updates since the original publication. It also goes on sale occasionally for significantly LESS than a disk copy will be (if you can even find one). There is also Prepar3d from Lockheed-Martin; that's the route I've gone though I still keep an operating copy of FSX handy.

You might also try copying the files from the dvd's - if you don't get any errors maybe there's not a real problem with any of the files so perhaps you can install from the HDD copy.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

FSX is installed as a back up file on an external drive . These files download okay to the C drive on a back up PC. To open FSX on the back up PC, this error pops up. FSX.exe file is missing. BTW, I do have the product keys.

Suggestions??

Ron

error.jpg

error_2.jpg

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

P3D doesn't have all the bells and whistles of FSX Gold, like carriers. But the performance is 1000% better. There is no fooling around making it run better.

What?

How did this get posted to a different thread from the one I was writing in?

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

The FSX.exe appears to missing after transferring from the external HD. Did I miss an additional file somewhere?

Ron

First WRT the missing .exe. The file you have highlighted appears to be it but without a file extension. Make a copy of it and then rename the current file as FSX.exe - you will get a warning about renaming it but click Yes to continue and then see if FSX will start.

WRT the Unable to create error - try creating the folder manually. For info, this folder populates with 'temporary' scenery info when you run FSX. On the FSX setting page is a tick box that allows you to dictate whether this folder is emptied or not when FSX is closed.

EDIT

Off course, there is no guarantee that FSX will run as the registry will be missing the keys that are written as part of the install process.

Also WRT the Steam version (FSX-SE)- most of your 3rd party addons should work with SE. Some, mainly payware, may not. Note also that the SE version is, if you follow the default install path. buried a lot deep than a default FSX install but you can nominate your on install path with a bit of work. And also note that, although hosted on the Stem Client Network there is no need to be constantly online to run the game once you have installed it and ran the first session online - this validates the install, thereafter you can change the Steam Client settings so that the game starts in offline mode.

EDIT END

Regards

Brian

First WRT the missing .exe. The file you have highlighted appears to be it but without a file extension.

More likely windows explorer is configured to hide file extensions if it's a known type. The fact that it says "Application" in the sceenshot means it is likely named correctly.

Cheers!

AJ: p3d doesn't have carriers?... I'm running 2.5 and it for sure does - I land on the enroute San Diego carrier quite frequently.

I've got 3.0 on my w10 drive but I haven't used it lately so I couldn't say if they were removed in later versions.

Loyd

not allowed? perhaps you are not logged in as administrator or perhaps the installer needs to be run "as administrator"

Loyd

This FSX file (partially shown above comment # 3) was copy/pasted directly from an external Hard Drive. During the file transfer, the .exe file exention vanished.

The original file included the FSX.exe as shown below.

WRT rename execute file to FSX.exe causes further troubles. Errors like 1-80004005. Seen a hack on Youtube for this.

Further troubleshooting in process.

FSX_EXE_Discussion_2.jpg

desktop.jpg

Thanks all, Ron

Archived