Other AI Aircraft speed question?

ColR1948

I often follow my AI aircraft, usually after I do a repaint, I like to have a look to see how it looks flying.

So my question which I asked once before when using FS9, how is it other AI aircraft seem to fly a lot faster than the one you follow?

As an example I was following my AI just approaching the coast of Holland heading towards the UK, I see another AI aircraft coming in the opposite direct but a few thousand feet lower.

I see it miles away, in no time it had passed me and was over the land, I had hardly moved, I was still approaching the coast and I noticed the same scenery was still below me, anyone else notice this?

Hi Col,

It might just be an optical illusion, especially with the height differences. An object at a lower height can be physically closer to you than you may think. Also the closing speed of the objects need to be considered, especially if the aircraft have different cruising speeds.

That said, I also suspect the AI engine does play a big part. For example in the RW you will climb at a pre-determined speed, which is often lower than the planned cruise speed, before setting the planned cruise speed when at the desired cruising altitude. However, AI seems to climb at a higher speed closer to the cruise speed.

It seems to mimic the same well known problem associated with how AI height is controlled. In the RW you use two pressure settings during flight - at low level you use the setting for the local area/regions whilst above 18000 feet (although the may vary in some regions) you will all use 2992/1013. Users mimic this in FSX by either changing the setting manually or by pressing B (the default key setting) to change the reading as you climb/descend pass 18000 feet. Obviously, AI aircraft have no human interface and so they seem to fly the complete leg based on the pressure setting of the departure airfield, hence the often heard ATC message 'C/S you are XXX feet below/above your assigned flight level'.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

A long time since we spoke mate. Yes I understand the closing speed but I've seen this lots of times even aircraft crossing my path, they are gone in no time where as I'm more or less in the same area.

I was following the AI by the way using SuperTrafficViewBoard, so I'm being controlled as an AI in a way.

I will say though the AI engine in FS is a lot better than X-Plane, a different sim I know but just saying.

Archived