Changing an Airports Design

rorymc1

I am not happy with my hometown airport in FS9. However, in downloading other airports, I found another airport that I would like to make my hometown airport, only question is.. I have no idea how to change it to my hometown airport.

(example: say I wanted to make KMLI the default airport for KGNV, how would I do that?)

Thanks in advance!

If you mean move the whole shebang to a new location then you could open it in AFCAD and in theory revise the location by changing the latitude and longitude. You would also probably have to change the altitude setting. That is the easy part; after that there are only problems. Changing the location would not move the buildings. And, it would not hide the original airport so you would have two visible and clashing sceneries. You can delete the original FS9 airport, but that would also delete other nearby airports that are included in the same original FS9 bgl. Or, you could change the location of the original airport to somewhere else (if this relocation trick actually works; I suspect FS9 would not approve) but you are still struggling with incorrect landclass and the wrong grass background shape that prevents trees growing on your runways, unless you know how to remedy this. Solution: use the airport you like as your hometown airport and move your house.

Possible, but a true can of worms. As Roger stated, it isn't a matter of grabbing the airport and dragging it to a new location and adjusting altitude. If you are after accuracy, you may have to rotate it so the the runways are oriented properly (now the runway labeling is wrong); all radio and navaid frequencies will have to be changed (and double checked against others in the area - any two transmitters on the same frequency whose ranges overlap will cause an instant CTD when you fly in range of either). You will need an exclude file to cover the old airport. Buildings, lights, static aircraft, etc., may have to be manually adjusted for proper position. You may find roads or railroads crossing the runway.

All in all, you could probably build your own airport from scratch with less trouble (the software is free and not that difficult to learn).

Archived