Flying from State to State in the US

avjones

Been flying since 1984, starting with a Commodore 64 computer and now with a gaming computer. I have always made my flights a challenge, by flying the old fashion way. My goal is to fly from each major and minor airport at each state, complete that state then go to another one. Starting in Sept 17 of last year have flown to and from major and minor airports, (four letter ICAO codes only). Took off from KPMZ Plymouth, North Carolina and from there flown to other airports within the state of North Carolina, then I proceeded to the other states to do the same thing. I have ventured forth to all the upper eastern states, the southern eastern states and now making my way thru Mississippi. So far completed 19 states, and still flying.

You may asked why such a demanding venture? I fly old school, no GPS, no on board computer, using the old Jeppesen slide flight computer. I fly VOR to VOR and or NDB only, and I fly only in the DC3. Do not use any other add-on's, like FSNavigator.

I like the challenge, no auto-land. I draw out my flight on paper, VOR's, headings, nautical miles, waypoints and so forth.

It will be one year soon and at my rate (I'm 73 years old for your info) it should take me approximately another 5 years or more to complete.

I'm I crazy, no, it's just this if you are going to simulate flying, then simulate flying. Don't let the computer do all the flying.

For me and at my age, unfortunately I have to hit the pause button, because if I step away, she will crash. Oh I make sure I'm not in an ATC controlled area, keep a honey bucket close by, ha! just in case.

Have fun guys.....

"Oldtoot"

I'm 77 and I just got started! Here is a trick you might be able to use (when you need it). Go to where fsx.cfg is and open 'stardard.xml' (Right Click then choose 'Open With' then Notepad) with NOTEPAD (NOT ie explorer) and add these lines under KEYBOARD_MAIN

//---- enter the lines below -----------

SHIFT+J

TOGGLE_AIRPORT_NAME_DISPLAY

//--------- (Save!) ------ (Done) ----

When you are near an airport, press 'Shft+J' and you should see an airport name (red text) above the location (at 1500 Ft). You must be above 1500 Ft yourself for it to show.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi avjones,

ORBX has a bunch of freeware airports that might make your flights a bit more enjoyable. I'm not sure but I suspect that you need to have some ORBX scenery installed previously. I think the free Pacific Northwest scenery might qualify. The airports are designed to best work with other ORBX scenery for the areas but I wasn't aware of this and haven't had any problems. It's nice to land at an airport that has scenery better than the default. Here's a link to a map that shows which scenery is provided:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Dmcg6ZYvTyzXryEQt37nYVVIzd0&hl=en_US&ll=41.10967997894398%2C-78.2516104707031&z=7

Jim F.

Albert,

I applaud the dedication, insight, and planning for your your current FS venture. Keep it going and post some screenshots along the way so we all know how it's progressing.

Wim,

Thanks for posting the postcard challenge link.

I'm always interested in flight scenarios that make FS flying challenging and enjoyable.

Skyknight_TN

Archived