What are these objects in the landmark.bgl file that I can't identify?

BlueSox14

Hi everyone,

Is anyone able to identify these objects for me in the landmark.bgl file from the below link?

The 2x groups that I can't identify are the hstc(a-f) ones and the Gen_Mesa_ ones.

I have a feeling the Gen_Mesa ones appear only in a mission. If so, can anyone tell me which one? Otherwise, where in the world is it?

If the HSTC one is a real landmark, could someone tell me what it is and which part of the world it's found in?

http://fsxsoc.dynamicfxgroup.com/bgl_file_reports.php?bgl_file=landmark

Ta!

Trent

I typed 7a326bdd-0e16-401c-b275-0330067879a4 into WIndows Search.

I found nothing in the FSX folder, but I did find the object (well, images of it only

actually) in:

C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor 165\FSX\Thumbs\landmark.bgl

C:\MSFS\FS Design Tools\Airport Design Editor\FSX\Bgl\landmark.bgl

and similar folders.

I also found a file called:

library objects.txt

In there is the line:

acropol {7a326bdd-0e16-401c-b275-0330067879a4}

Could it be the Acropolis?? (That's located in Athens, Greece.)

(Used 'search' after opening file in Notepad. Same GUID number searched.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not sure where that file: library objects.txt

came from.

It may have been in the "Big THumbnail Pack" that you can download for ADE.

It may be a file that ADE creates when you build the object library. A required step for ADE to know what objects you have installed in FSX, so ADE knows how to place them.

Not sure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hang on, No, "library objects.txt" is in a different program's folder altogether!

It is in the folder of:

Bgl2Xml 2.1

I think I installed that very recently. I'll see if it's in the download too. .........

Yes! it is.

It was a download from Flightsim.com.

"library objects.txt" in the unzipped folder.

FSX - FSX Utilities

FSX BGLXML 2.1

[ Download | View ]

Name: bglx21.zip

Size: 425,001 Date: 10-20-2007 Downloads: 2,227

FSX BGLXML 2.1. A utility which disassembles BGL files into FSX format and produces an XML file to be compiled with Microsoft BGLCOMP (from FSC SDK). Besides disassembling all BGL records, it is also able to extract .MDL files from ModelData sections. This utility is freeware and open-source, licensed under GNU-GPL to help developers understand the FSX BGL structures. Also includes XMLSHELL, a GUI program for controlling bglxml from Windows Explorer. By Alessandro G. Antonini.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quote: Could it be the Acropolis?? (That's located in Athens, Greece.)

HSTC never could be the Acropolis! Object 1 (acropol) of the landmarks is Acropolis.

Calton hill looks different from the picture at HSTC.

I think HSTC could be a famous town in Spain or Portugal.

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

The one I looked up was at the top of your link. And it looks a lot like the acropolis does. Just google an aerial image.

As you see I did not mention hstc. If those were lower down on your link, I did not look at them.

I did explain how I looked it up. Try that for the objects you want to know more about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

It's occurred to me that the best way might be just to extract the FSX coordinates from FSX itself.

Following il88pp's advice, I decompiled the landmark.bgl report.

There is nothing in the landmark.bgl file that the website I provided in my original post doesn't already provide. That is, the landmark.bgl file doesn't include coordinates.

Does anyone have any idea how I might go about finding the relevant bgl file that contains the placement data for the objects contained in the landmark.bgl file?

Ta!

Trent

Heya everyone,

After many hours of googling, I stumbled onto the hstc object. It's Hearst Castle, located at San Simeon between LA and San Fran.

Pretty cool. I've attached a screenshot.

As Christian suggested below, I'm just about convinced that the other one I couldn't identify are the Anasazi ruins (and in particular the Cliff Palace ruins) in Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado. There are clues in their names in the landmark.bgl file like mesa, kiva etc which points to the Anasazi ruins and Mesa Verde NP.

The thing with these ruins is that they were generally built underneath cliff overhangs, making them just about impossible to see from the air and I would have thought impossible to incorporate into terrain mesh.

I've spent hours combing through the canyons of Mesa Verde National Park and can't find anything. I'm beginning to think they were just not placed anywhere.

Anyhow, if anyone can verify that they do exist somewhere in the MS flightsim world, I'd really love any clues you can give me.

I've attached a screenshot of one of these models as well.

Ta,

Trent

Hearst Castle.jpg

Mesa_Village3.jpg

Hi Trent!

I am very glad you found HSTC. I am on vacation and my FSX-PC stays at home. So I can't search bevor middle of september. I then will try it with IS3, but I am not sure if this will work.:confused:

Hey Trent,

Several years ago Don Oleson released a mission that featured the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings. It was included in the freeware release entitled "Tenmissions.zip". The mission is in "MesaVerdefolder.zip". I seem to recall that he placed the scenery as it was not part of the default. I intend to check it out again but am posting this as a heads up.

Jim F

I flew the mission but forgot to check the OPT to see if the scenery was added. I changed the FLT to include the "abd_Monobi_TUNDRA" in place of the Bell 206. Here are a few pics.

2017-8-26_22-59-46-902.jpg

2017-8-26_23-2-53-317.jpg

2017-8-26_23-4-35-900.jpg

2017-8-26_23-29-8-222.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find enhanced scenery at the final (Durango?) airport. I'm pretty sure it's part of the free ORBX NA Airports package. I don't recall from where I downloaded the aircraft but I think it was from a French site and the file is called "MonoBi_Series_v1.zip". In case anyone is interested.

Jim F.

Mystery solved everyone!

My initial approach was to write a batch program that decompiled every single .bgl file in my FSX folder and create individual xml files. I used bglxml 2.1 as per il88pp's suggestion.

After having created thousands of these xml files (10,192 to be exact), I used a program called TexFinderX 2.51 to conduct text string searches in each of these xml files.

The idea was to search for each objects unique GUID found in the landmark.bgl file (and also detailed on this website http://fsxsoc.dynamicfxgroup.com/bgl_file_reports.php?bgl_file=landmark) to identify the placement file bgl. All I would have to do then would be open it up and obtain the coordinates.

Well, I abandoned that approach when a test search for the Acropolis GUID didn't work.

I've spent many many hours since googling and trying to figure out how to determine the placement files. I stumbled across a web page that identified the Easter Island Head objects (included in the landmark.bgl file) and it's placement file as a bgl file.

Wait a minute! My earlier approach should have identified that! I tried it again, and it worked!

But why could I find the placement file for the Easter Island heads, but not the Acropolis? I know for a fact that the Acropolis is used in game...it didn't make any sense.

Well it turns out that the Acropolis is NOT in the game. At least not the Acropolis.mdl in the landmark.bgl. The Athens.bgl contains a better Acropolis model and that's the one that is used. The one in the landmark.bgl is presumably a legacy .mdl file as it is a far less detailed one than the one in the Athens.bgl. As such it's not placed anywhere. That's why I couldn't find it.

Aye aye aye!!

And so this post is for those thousands of people in posterity that will have their OCD kick in and try to locate the Anasazi ruins in the FSX world. When you eventually turn to the wide wide world of net in frustration and find this post, I can advise you that these are not included as part of the default scenery.

Case closed!

I think I found that one too.

I did it the other way round.

I searched the "../FSX/Scenery" -folder for: Athens

Organised the results by type and found file: Athens.bgl

I ran that through "bgl2xml_160_gui.exe"

I got the unpacked object models (MDL files) and the file: Athens.bgl.xml

Searching the .xml file for "Acropolis" or for "your GUID that you gave earlier" gave no results.

But one of the objects was called: LDM_Athens_Acropolis.mdl

I openend that with ModelconverterX

and I think I found the same Acropolis version you did.

Here's a screenshot of the "Object Report" I generated with MCX:

other acropolis object report MCX.JPG

I didn't post earlier, as I was looking for the GUID you had posted. Maybe I should have posted anyway... sorry!

Well done on making sure the other Acropolis file is nowhere in the scenery. I'm not that good with batch files me!!

Happy flights,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

now I flew the MesaVerde mission and saw the Anasazi ruins. But you only could see it with the mission. Without the mission there are no objects!? Maybe such POI must extra installed.

The ruins are not installed by default. I'm aware of several other landmark objects that are included but not installed. I've tried to install "Shasta dam" but ran into problems. The default scenery protruded thru the face when the dam was pushed back to the water. It seems likely that the developers ran into similar problems and the problems were to have been corrected in future FS versions.

The ruins are not installed by default. I'm aware of several other landmark objects that are included but not installed. I've tried to install "Shasta dam" but ran into problems. The default scenery protruded thru the face when the dam was pushed back to the water. It seems likely that the developers ran into similar problems and the problems were to have been corrected in future FS versions.

Ah, thank you for this explanation.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Archived