Need help! SCENERY.CFG file error.

jedownen

I am getting an error msg at FSX start up. SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory (Addon Scenery\SCENERY) in scenery Area.121 not found.

I read another post from a few months back that said it had to do with changing a file name. The scenery in question is part of a group of sceneries I downloaded and put in one folder and gave it the name of the State as suggested by the creator of the sceneries. I couldn't tell you what group it is referring to as I downloaded a lot of sceneries that day.

I opened up the CFG file and found no Area121 at all, it only goes to 115. Area 115 has the Addon scenery name.

Is there a solution to this error?

Thanks in advance for the help...

John

to start with, it sounds like you are looking at a copy of the default scenery.cfg in your fsx install folder; 115 areas sounds like about the right amount for an unmodified scenery.cfg file. Look in your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder to find the actual cfg the sim is using and see if it has more entries - especially #121 and then let us know what you find.

glad to help

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

As Loyd stated if you are looking in the main FSX folder at the scenery.cfg file there you should be seeing the last entries as;

[Area.113]

Title=Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries

Local=Scenery\Global

Layer=113

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.114]

Title=Propeller Objects

Local=Scenery\Props

Layer=114

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.115]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Notice that the area number and the layer number are the same - this is normal.

In the scenery.cfg file found in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX which fsx checks and uses this is where your ADDON SCENERY is recorded when you attempt or actually are successful in placing any addon scenery via the "Scenery Library" options.

If you have added in successfully (and many don't because of the known "bug" that winds up all up ) you should see something like -EXAMPLE ONLY:

[Area.123]

Title=Leal

Local=Addon Scenery\Leal

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Layer=123

[Area.124]

Title=EIDW

Local=Addon Scenery\EIDW\scenery

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Layer=124

Again note that the area numbers are sequential (they follow on numerically) and the layer number is the same as the area.

HOWEVER! Frequently when attempting to place addon scenery in the library because of the "bug" it might enter a scenery without name or it will conflict by adding a reference and no scenery (and any other thing it feels like doing).

In C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX you should see

Scenery.cfg AND strangely enough (but usefully), OldScenery.cfg . This is a copy of the previous scenery.cfg file before something was last added

It might be wise to look in the scenery.cfg file (it will open in the standard text editor) and look through to check that all areas are sequential and for each are the Layer is the same.

if you find that any are not then make a backup copy of that scenery.cfg file using save as BACKUP_scenery.cfg that way you wont be tempted to call it old.

The in the scenery.cfg file go down and change the areas in to sequential i.e and change the Layer number to the same as the area number. Then save the edited version as scenery.cfg and try that - FSX will on boot up show that its rebuilding the scenery library which is what you want.

The 121 error is almost certain in the addon scenery. When I experienced it i undertook the above and it worked and cleaned up the library as well.

Try never to delete an addon outside the Scenery Library function if its at all possible because its causes this type of issue.

Let us know how you get on.

GFX

I sometimes, aheem! Many times run into this error message, drove me crazy. I posted once in a local forum and a member suggested FSTscenery.exe a Little program that reorganizes the scenery.cfg file and puts it all back in order.Hope this helps.You can get it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/welcome.shtml

Click on the Resources tab at the top right of the screen which will display to get a short list of his available downloads.

The "problem" is in all versions of FS - his utility makes it simple to keep the scenery.cfg in good order. Be sure to read the documentation carefully.

Berlopez

First, to clarify something that gfxpilot has hinted at WRT the Area.XXX and Layers numbers being the same.....

The numbers MAY NOT be the same. If you have changed the Priority of any scenery area (i.e. moved it up or down the listing) then the Area.### number will remain the same but the layer number will have changed. For example, if you installed new scenery that were allocated Area.200/Layer 200 and Area.201/Layer 201, the last (I,e, highest) area number will be at the top of the FSX scenery settings page listed as entry (aka priority) 1. If you swap entries 1 and 2 around then when viewed in text mode the entries will be Area.200/Layer 201 and Area.201/Layer 200.

When adding new scenery they are allocated the next sequential Area.### number and layer number. When you delete a scenery correctly via the FSX Settings page (i.e uncheck it and then use the delete area button to remove the entry from the listing AND then deleting the scenery files) it automatically re-adjusts the Area and layers numbers for each remaining areas. If, however, you delete a scenery incorrectly (for example by removing the scenery files without using FSX scenery settings beforehand) then such errors can occur.

Another common error occurs when the Local= entry becomes corrupted - this entry 'tells' FSX where to find the scenery

A useful tool that I use is a freeware tool called Scenery Config Editor - see HERE to download and HERE for details info/instructions.

The tool is capable of many things but two things that I like about it is that it allows you to add new scenery without starting FSX (and having to use the FSX Scenery Setting page avoiding issues associated with the 'bug') and when you have added new scenery it will flag if there are any issues with paths/filenames etc BEFORE the info is written to FSX, automatically highlighting the problem area. It also has a built-in text editor.

Regards

Brian

Close FSX.

Look in folder:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery

Is there a folder in there called

..\scenery

(so full path to folder is:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\scenery

If there is no folder in there called:

\scenery

create an empty folder in ..\Addon Scenery, and name it scenery

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I sometimes, aheem! Many times run into this error message, drove me crazy. I posted once in a local forum and a member suggested FSTscenery.exe a Little program that reorganizes the scenery.cfg file and puts it all back in order.Hope this helps.You can get it here: ...

+1 for FSTscenery.

But the link doesn't seem to work. I found it here (last lines of the post).

http://www.simforums.com/forums/solved-scenery-cfg-file-error_topic41226_post242120.html?KW=FSTScenery#242120

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Archived