Issues Reinstalling FSX

RichardFS

Prepare yourself for a long story:

So, I've always had minor hiccups to work around in FSX, but they were all manageable. But over time, more and more issues kept cropping up, and when I'd solve one, a different one would appear. I avoided starting fresh for a long time because of the hassle, but yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I was in the middle of a flight when my Saitek Multi Panel cut out without warning, and I haven''t figured out why since. I couldn't take it anymore and decided to finally start completely over with FSX. I copied the aircraft files so I wouldn't lose them, and uninstalled everything else related to FSX except for my weather engine, vatsim and acars. I put in the CD to install it again, and it went through its course, and finally finished. But the desktop shortcut that it created wouldn't work; when I clicked it, it gave me a dialog that said "Error ID: 25 Null". I had to go to the program files to open it. Other than that it seemed to be working fine.

It took me forever to find the Saitek drivers online but finally did, and installed them. My Yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals worked fine, but still had issues with the panels. I decided to contact Microsoft support. They couldn't figure it out and now I'm on my own again. I uninstalled everything again and here I am.

The only thing I can think of, is that my payware installation programs and aircraft files are causing the issues. But I don't want to delete them, because I have no idea how to get them back after that without paying for them again. I've looked through all the forums and all that did was confuse me more. I need step by step help on what to do here, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what's going on.

Hi Richard:

Not sure in your case, but when I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 from 7, I returned back to 7. The configs for things like Saitek kept on getting reset when W10 decided it was time for another patch, upgrade etc -

I was in the middle of a flight when my Saitek Multi Panel cut out without warning, and I haven''t figured out why since.

In Windows Device Manager -> Saitek USB Device (right click) -> Properties -> Power Management

Disable/uncheck "Allow the computer to shut down the device to save power"

http://i.imgur.com/gnoqdgo.png

I hope I translated more or less correctly. My Windows speaks dutch.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Hi Richard:

Not sure in your case, but when I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 from 7, I returned back to 7. The configs for things like Saitek kept on getting reset when W10 decided it was time for another patch, upgrade etc -

Well I won't be going back to a previous OS, but that does give me a clue. Thanks.

In Windows Device Manager -> Saitek USB Device (right click) -> Properties -> Power Management

Disable/uncheck "Allow the computer to shut down the device to save power"

http://i.imgur.com/gnoqdgo.png

I hope I translated more or less correctly. My Windows speaks dutch.

Wim

Thanks for your reply. I read a few other places that Windows may be redirecting the power to somewhere else, and they offered the same solution, so I did that to all my saitek equipment, and still it does not work properly.

Payware needs to be uninstalled before uninstalling fsx.

FSX should not be installed to \Program Files or \Program Files (x86).

Install it to C:\FSX or D:\FSX or something like that instead.

Well, too late for the payware to be uninstalled, however I did succesfully reinstall my Leonardo MD80 and A2A Boeing 377. However, I can't find the installer for the A2A L-049 that I had before. I'm also about to try to reinstall my FSDreamTeam airport and QualityWings 757. Why should FSX be installed into C or D instead of program files?

Hello everyone, i have been fight simming for a very long time (google "bruce artwick") thats how long ive been flight simming. Anyhow, over the years i have learned how to eliminate most problems

This is what i do and its drastic but it works every time.

There is alot of work involved but only once.

1, back up anything you want to save,

Flush windows and do a fresh install, load drivers, and whatever else you want to run.

Install your gaming devices, install your flight sim, make sure your gaming devices work ok, install all of your add ons, when you have your sim all set this is what you do.

2, create a windows recovory disk and create a drive image. Been doing this since windows xp. no fuss no muss.

I have an external harddrive i save the image too. now when something starts acting goofy in the flightsim and it eventually does. i just flush it and I'm up in running in less then a hour. works every time.

I read time and time again about sombody spending a week trying to sort something out. that sucks, im so done with that crap. i have been flying mostly trouble free for many years.

Payware aircraft, airports, and other scenery, will have to be properly reinstalled.

If you don't use the installers, the payware won't be activated, and will not run.

That's also why you need to uninstall it before uninstalling FSX.

If you don't, you just delete the files, and not their registry entries.

This can mean that next time you try to install the payware, it's installer will see the registry entry, and "think" it is already installed.

It will then only offer "Repair" or "remove"

As there are no files to repair or remove, none of these to will do anything.

Making it impossible to reinstall.

Two ways to get out of that situation:

1--Contact the payware manufacturer, and ask them to help you fix the issue.

2--Reinstall Windows.

Putting back the backed up files, then trying to uninstall, may fool the uninstallers of the payware. At least enough to make it possible to reinstall it.

---

Apart from that, the saved aircraft files may not do much good.

Non-payware planes could be copied over, but you'd need all their files.

If you only backed up what was in folder: ../Simobjects/Airplanes

then you don't have all the files of the aircraft.

After all, the aircraft also need their Gauges, Effects, and Sounds. (In folders with those names.)

If you don't have all that, you will still need to re-download your freeware aircraft.

You can of course use the backed up stuff to restore aircraft.cfg files or panel.cfg files that you edited manually.

That would save you editing all that again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived