ILS Landing Help

codymatthew

Hi everyone,

Just starting to dabble with ILS landing for 757 & 737s. I did it once perfectly but now I cant seem to get it to work again. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I know the video is atrocious, I was traveling and only had my laptop and mouse. Only really looking for help regarding ILS landing.

Easy. Tune your Nav 1 radio to the ILS of course. Enter in the GPS the ILS approach so you have a visual reference. As your cross track to the line extending from the runway cloeses in to about a mile, flip on NAV and hit the APP button. By the time the cross track goes down to .80, your aircraft should start to turn and intercept the LOC (localizer). Then as you near the runway the glideslope indicator will start to fall and the altitude hold in the autopilot will automatically disengage and your AP will follow the glideslope.

I don't use the automatic method anymore unless I'm not comfortable with landing. I manually follow the LOC and glideslope. I even crab if necessary. I have become quite good at it. Once you land it's a great reward knowing you done it yourself.

CRJ "Tune your Nav 1 radio to the ILS of course. Enter in the GPS the ILS approach" i had a few questions on this..

1. On the MCP you have course dial and heading dial. From what I understand the Course dial is set to the approach runway ? and the heading is magnetic and does not follow the course ?

2. 1 mile seems little to close to call. Is it possible to set this up when your 5 miles out as to be stabilized and set for final?

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X: Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON : 16GB DDR4 3000MHz:

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 TI graphics card.

Downwind leg: parallel to runway. But Flying in opposite direction.

Base leg: make 90 turn from downwind leg, flying towards the final.

Final: make 90 deg turn from base leg, so you fly straight towards the runway (at rw heading) for landing.

On downwind (or before) Set:

Nav1 to freq.

Crs to rw crs.

Don't worry about hdg vs crs.

Tune nav2 to vor at airport.

Green pointer in MFD screen will turn to where VOR (and airport) are.

Fly downwind leg, make mental note of when passing airport. What is distance to airport then? Should be around 15 NM. That gives time for a relaxed turn to base leg.

Keep in mind (and check in display) where airport is. When airport is about 20-25 NM away, turn to base.

To see where to turn, and distances, use the indication of VOR2 in the MFD. Distance is shown at the bottom of that display. (VOR2 on the right hand side).

Having the CRS set helps you keep track of what you are doing and makes navigating very straightforward here.

Then turn to final.

(with about 15 NM between airport and downwind, and about 20-25 between you and airport when turning to base, you should end up with about a 15-20 NM Final.

When on downwind, descend to an altitude of 3000ft above the airport. That way you are low enough to pick up the glideslope signal that's coming from the airport.

When on final approach, click the 'App' button when you see the purple glideslope indication in the right hand side of the PFD move down.

The plane follows the glideslope once the indication is has moved down to the center.

If you approach at 3000ft above the airport, that will be when you are 10NM out from the airport.

(1 NM for every 300ft above the airport.)

just before you reach the airport, (before reaching 200ft), switch off autothrottle and autopilot and touch down manually. If you don't the plane try to in around. It will try to accelerate and point the more up.

While doing all this, have the NAV/GPS switch set to NAV. Cant do ils app on gps.

Remember to drop the Gear, Enjoy!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CRJ "Tune your Nav 1 radio to the ILS of course. Enter in the GPS the ILS approach" i had a few questions on this..

1. On the MCP you have course dial and heading dial. From what I understand the Course dial is set to the approach runway ? and the heading is magnetic and does not follow the course ?

2. 1 mile seems little to close to call. Is it possible to set this up when your 5 miles out as to be stabilized and set for final?

Okay, if you are using the FS ATC they will say something like NJ75V, you are 12 miles south, turn left 90 degrees, contact tower on such and such frequency.

So, use your heading knob to turn where ATC tells you. Prior to this ATC would have told you what runyway you will land on. So go into the GPS and set the approach. This is just for situational awareness. Now when you press the FPL button button you will see a list of the fixss you will fly to. Note the runway and its degrees. So say you are landing on runway 25. It may say 248 degrees. So tune your NAV course to 248. Since you are using the heading knob you can safely tune to NAV for the moment to tune the course. Now tune your NAV 1 radio to the ILS Freq. which can be found in the GPS. Once you get that final message from ATC to say you are such and such away from the airport and to turn such and such degrees to intercept the LOC you should be in NAV mode and then press the APP button. The APP button will guide on with the ILS. 1 mile cross track error will be about when the ILS will automatically steer your aircraft.

I think I'll do a video. I'm having issues with recording my bluetooth Mic though so I might have to use my camcorder.

Okay, here's a video I did. I'm not that good at explaining things, but I hope this makes since. I had to use my camcorder since I can't get my Mic to work right in the video recording program I use. I'll have to mess with that one day.

Archived