MD-11 and it's ACS panel

hjwalter

Hi all,

The PMDG MD-11 is one of my favorite aircraft and the rather complex ACS panel (all it's gauges are prefixed with "ACS") seems to be ideally suited for it. However, I've been having unending usage problems with it's autopilot function, which seems to work in a completely different way than other modern, e.g. B-737, autopilots.

It seems that you need to climb manually to any given altitude and to then press the altitude-hold button in order to stay at that altitude. If ATC then instructs you to climb further, you first need to de-activate the altitude-hold button, then manually climb further until you reach the new altitude and to then press the same button again, etc. etc.

Changing only the numeric altitude figure (normal procedure) has no effect, especially not when altitude-hold is active. The same rather primitive procedure is necessary for heading and speed changes.

Can anyone confirm this because I just cannot believe that an autopilot in such a relatively modern aircraft, can be so primitive.

However, it's also quite possible that I've done something wrong during installation of this panel or that I'm doing something wrong with it's usage. I've read through the extensive readme docs but cannot find any real solutions for this seemingly structural problem.

Looking forward to any reactions.

Hans

The only panel ideally suited for the PMDG MD-11 is the PMDG panel that it comes with, which is fully functional. The A/P works as you would expect in any modern aircraft and has a few unique twists of its own. Throw away the "ACS" panel, read the manual and tutorials and enjoy the aircraft as it was meant to be flown.

DJ

DavidJones,

Yes, you're completly right but just accepting defeat with this high-tech multi-function ACS panel, proved to be very difficult for me. I searched for and found another download which was larger than my existing one and within that I found a flight tutorial txt file, which said something about "right clicking" certain AP-function buttons in a specified sequence. Although I have never seen a panel which required any right clicking, this revelation finally solved my problems. This right clicking takes some getting used to but my MD-11 is now become a joy to fly.

Hans

Archived