I5 or I3?

Dear all,

I have been flying with fs2000, 2002 and 2004 for many years on my old Core2duo E8400 with ATi4870 GPU. Recently my computer broke down and I decided it will be time for a new one, which can run FSX and P3D.

For the GPU my choice will be the GTX1050 TI 4GB. The computer will run with 8GB RAM and I will insert a SSD iso HDD.

Now comes the big question:

Should I go for a I3 7100 or should I go for I5 7400 or spend a little more for the I5 7500. Important to know is that I dont know anything about OC and I will not burn my fingers (and my computer ;) on this.

Will FSX do a nice job on this +- 800 usd system?

Looking forward for your replies!!

Happy flights. I hope to be in the air again soon.

better performance than i5 and maybe even i7, i3 cant even come close

For single-core performance, no. If you're looking for something requires a lot of cores Ryzen is a much better value than the high-core-count Intels, but for 4 core or below where you need max single thread performance you're still better off with an I3 or I5.

Cheers!

Luke

For single-core performance, no

Yes, you are correct. But intel doesnt have the edge by much. Its a performance difference you will never see.

And it looks like amd has declared war against intel, if i was a executive at intel i would be worried.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/252362-amd-announces-threadripper-launch-window-speeds-prices-details-upcoming-ryzen-3

While this is for FSX/P3D, I've got FS9/X on 2 machines. One has a quad core cpu(I5) with a 1GB gpu. The other has a several years newer, more modern and .4 ghz faster dual core (i3) with a 2GB gpu.

The slower, speed wise, and older quad core trumps the MUCH newer i3 quite easily. So much that is very significant and obvious when using both sims which was quite surprising.

Seems speed aint everything and more cores on old 'single core' games is preferable.

Same OS. Same scenery. Same textures. Same aircraft - add-on and AI. Same Nvidia Inspector settings. Its the same just copied over.

The only difference in the two sims is FS9 on the newer PC is outside the (x86) folder which may be the reason for the poorer performance. I've always believed the best place for install is the default location.

Perhaps the quad has the ability to handle more stuff going on with the OS, FS, Wx program, accars etc.

AMD measures speeds differently.

Clock speed is clock speed - their PR ratings have been history for a while.

You won't get equivalent performance per Ghz between Intel and AMD, any more than a Ford, Chevy or Honda engine will provide equivalent torque and horsepower at the same RPM.

Cheers!

Luke

Archived