Boeing 747-8f by SkySpirit and Project Open Sky.

flyingheavymetal

Having just seen two Boeing 747-8f aircraft visiting my local airport on the same day I felt inspired to add the type to FS2004 back at home. So I came onto Flightsim.com where there are two Freeware offerings available - Project Open Sky and SkySpirit with both available in Air Bridge Cargo colours.

Well ... the bobbins I have experienced began when I took a look at the Project Open Sky Boeing 747-8f externally as it was taxiing to go. This was when I noticed that it had no cockpit and that the cockpit windows were just an open space! Though the download does include a full set of textures the interior was completely missing. Enough I thought and so I offloaded that version. Five minutes later the SkySpirit Boeing 747-8f had reached the same location.

All well until I looked at the aircraft externally whilst it was in flight. I thought I noticed something unusual so I zoomed the view in closer ... Sure as s**t I had seen an anomaly. The aircraft was part transparent and I could look straight through it!

So be aware of these shortcomings if you too are on the lookout for a Boeing 747-8f for FS2004. I don't know if the same problems exist with the Boeing 747-8i passenger version which both Freeware producers have on offer. Would be interesting to find out.

'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

I came across a very, very transparent b747 (AI traffic) the other day - first time I'd seen that. It was like a ghost.

But it's really easy to fix - you just need to lighten the fuselage bitmap alpha channel using a tool like DXTBmp (or replace it with a plain white one) and some kind of image editor - I use Photoshop (CS2 available as a legitimate free download) , but any other basic freeware one would probably do. My ghost 747 was fixed this way in less than a minute.

Martin, Hi and I hope you are well.

Thank you for this advice and I will give this a try. Sounds as if it will fix the Skyspirit anomaly I discovered but as for the POSKY missing cockpit / interior goodness knows!

Thanks Again :o)

'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

The transparency can also be found in scenery objects such as hangars, and as a scenery maker I have found it to be caused by human error, namely by me using for a part of the building a texture that is not DXT3 and is instead just plain 32 bit. So check the plane's textures out.

Roger, Hi and I hope you too are well.

Thank you for providing the insight you have done into texture transparency issues on FS2004. I am currently investigating the problem regarding the SkySpirit version of the Boeing 747-8f in a bid to rectify what I have discovered about it.

I hope something can be done to fix the issue as otherwise it is a good rendition of this aircraft for FS2004.

Archived