Switching hard drives for FSX and P3D inquiry.

annber

I have a 1TB hard drive and a 500gb SSD installed. Back in late 2015 when I had someone put the system together I installed FSx on the SSD and planned to install P3D on the 1TB hard drive.

It is now mid 2017, and I find myself slowly, very slowly transitioning to P3D, specially with v4 now installed.

I have a lot, and I mean a lot of addons installed in FSX, plus all my files from custom made photoreal sceneries. There is only 50gb of space left on the SSD.

Over the weekend I had a thought (yes, they do still come once in a while). Why not move FSX to the regular 1TB hard drive, and move P3Dv4 to the 500gb SSD.

Does it make any sense to do that?

Thanks, Bernardo.

Annber,

Since the v4 install is new, reinstalling it on the SSD may be simple enough but it sounds like rebuilding FSX could be a tedious/risky business and something to be avoided if it is mainly to resolve space issues.

It would seem to me to be more appropriate to leave the up-and-coming sim - that could well grow larger than your FSX install - on the larger drive. At the moment, P3D may be the smaller but I'd expect it to grow larger in the coming years.

If you want to free up some space on the SSD, I'd move all that photo scenery over to the HDD (I have scenery/photo scenery on 3-4 drives - it doesn't matter to the sim where the scenery physically resides; I've even installed the (FSX) Orbx on a remote drive with no problems.) All my photoscenery is shared by FSX/P3Dv2.5 equally - there's only one source (ignoring backups).

Further, I have a separate 'hangar' folder for infrequently used aircraft (over 400) so that the aircraft folder only has the most frequently used; this can be on any drive. Actually, my most used FSX add-on aircraft are in a separate folder anyway - you just have to tell the sim where they are in the FSX.cfg; these can be on any drive also.

hope this provides a useful alternative

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Archived