FX vs FS 2004 With My Setup?

mushman

Hello- Hope all is well and thanks for your help!

I just purchased a computer at a garage sales and I happen to have a copy of both FSX and 2004.

My question is:

Based on my current computer setup, which FS should I run and if you had a smaller budget, where would you spend it for the best FS experience?

Computer setup:

- Homemade machine

- Logic board: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

- Memory: 12GB or ram (don't know brand or speed)

- Processor: i5 4690 3.5 overclocked and VERY stable at 3.92

- Graphics Card: Geoforce GTX660

Is it possible to run Rex4 on FS X or is this too much? I don't care a lot about things like traffic or stuff like that. I just want to fly on some adventures. I plan on purchasing Carenado's 182RG. I'm a private pilot who doesn't get to fly anymore and just want to enjoy getting in the cockpit and flying with great scenery.

So, I guess if you had this setup and a smaller budget, what would you do?

Thanks!!!

You'll be fine with FSX. Especially if you fly GA and stay away from the very complex airliners. And Carenado's 182RG is a good choice. Rather than Rex4, though, I'd recommend looking at the ORBX Global Base Pack as a starter. It's a complete new set of absolutely gorgeous ground textures https://orbxdirect.com/category/ftx-global . Or, why not just install both FSX and FS2004 as that will let you get a comparison before buying anything. Drop back and let us know what you decided......Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Thank you for the all the information about capabilities of my current system and ORBX vs REX 4. Sorry about the NewB question: REX4 is for weather/atmosphere and ORBX is for ground/scenery texture, right? Should I not run or run them both- or is it really a matter of budget?

Thanks again!

First of all: how did you manage to activate FSX if you bought it from some one else?

You can run, and upgrade with addons, BOTH. So you can have your cake and eat it too. I have both installed. Both run fine. I have a seperate HDrive (D) for sims. See my specs.

Then you might have to tweak the FSX cfg to get smooth 30 fps. There are guides for this. Lots of reading but worth it. FS9 will run fine and I get 400 fps in full screen and 200 fps when Fraps is recording FSRecorder instant replays. In FSX I get 25 fps when recording.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for the insights. Helpful.

RE: FSX Registration. Why, is there usually some sort of problem with this? I owned FSX and FS9 from years ago. I even have FS8 laying around as well. I just didn't get around to loading everything up because I was busy with work, kids, and didn't have a CPU (I work on a mac). So, here I am now. Late, I know.

I'll look around for the script adjustment posts. Does FPS matter that much on flight sims?

Thanks for the tips!

Archived