FSX, Lockheed L 1011, Tristar. Most difficult approach. Samos, Greece.

autosetup

I've done quite a few landings now with the "Just Flight" L 1011 at one of the most difficult approaches in the world, Samos, in Greece. It involves a very tight, right turn onto short finals, which is hand flown. This one ended up with a long touch down on runway 09, due to mistakes made on the approach and I nearly ran out of runway, so I have used this vid. as an extra bit of drama. Arrive crossing overhead runway at 6000', turn to 160 and descend to 2000' turning 200 degs to 360, at 6 miles. Cross coast at 1850' to the left of village. head for next village, turn right to arrive over white shed at 400'. straighten for short final 09. The runway is long, so no need to rush it. Auto brake 2 and full reverse thrust. VRef + 5 = 150 kts. Parking is tight.

2017-4-23_15-16-31-607.jpg

That was awesome!

If the pilots both eat fish on my plane I would hope you were a passenger on it, and (I hope) you don't like fish. Otherwise I might have a go and that could be a bad idea though I would be up for it.

The sound was especially wonderful and ramped up the whole experience.

Christ, your up early.

I must admit if that was your first attempt then you would be a very good pilot. Seriously you landed it right on the center line, and kept it there. That I find the hardest thing to do and it makes me wonder why I have never seen a real landing where the pilot didn't get it centered. I guess the spatial awareness is lacking in most flight sims. I am hoping VR is going to crack that shortcoming, though not for a few years yet.

Edit-Just noticed the time shown for the post is 6 hours behind. I am a newbie.

Archived