Can this machine run FS X SE?

N33029

Gang,

I found out where to get the video driver for this machine, but can it run FS X SE? Here are it's specs:

Dell Precision M90 Dual Core Gaming Laptop

Intel T7400 Core 2 Duo Processor at 2.16Ghz with 4mb Cache

4Gb DDR2 RAM

160Gb SATA Hard Drive

DVD-RW

nVidia Quadro FX 1500M Graphics 256mb 1663mb Total Available

1440 x 900 Resolution

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

I have another Dell M90 that could be downgraded to XP to get the right driver, as it is with the generic driver it's pretty hard to use.

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

The key is the CPU speed, and 2.16 GHz is pretty slow. You'd need to have most of the sliders, especially Clouds and Airport Ground Vehicles set pretty low. Water settings too. Those three seems to have the greatest effect, that I've seen. AI Traffic as well, although to a lesser extent.

Remember, most "gaming" computers focus on graphics, and MSFS, whether FS9 or FSX, focuses on CPU speed, with graphics taking a backseat. So, when looking for a machine to run FSX, including FSX:SE, you need to focus on CPU speed, and the cooling to keep it functioning properly, as well as a Power Supply to run it.

Does this answer your question?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

No go. Even tweaked down you'll have malheur! Save up for a new rig. Take your time for it. Pick the system you really really want right now, than wait few months and keep saving your money.

The moment prices of your wanted rig have dropped after 3 or 4 months with 30%....buy it! And you're happy!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Does this answer your question?

Pat☺

Yes, that is the definitive answer, and it's really good news because right now I should be saving for something else. I did try to set the...it might have been scenery complexity to maximum and now the Mojave Desert has sprung to life. I haven't tried flying over it yet but right after I post this I am going to download the Goodyear Blimp and see if I can install it into Steam with the information in the sticky thread.

The main thing I've wanted to do with FS for a long time was to memorize an area of the desert, around CA99 because I like that area. The hope is that I'll be able to improve my spacial relations. I've been worried about that functioning in my brain because I don't walk anywhere far away anymore.

Thanks to all who answered.

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

I've been worried about that functioning in my brain because I don't walk anywhere far away anymore.

Welcome to my world. I can't walk too far either. I understand completely.

The main thing I've wanted to do with FS for a long time was to memorize an area of the desert, around CA99 because I like that area.

I lived in Yuma, Az (KYUM/KNYL) for almost 30 years. I'm sorry, but I hate the desert with a passion. If I ever go near it again, it'll be too soon, I can tell you that. I finally sold my 2.7 Acres and moved to Oregon. It had gotten to the point I couldn't set foot outside my front door without a side arm, at the least. I'm just getting too old for that garbage, any more.

Yes, save your money for a better computer. Then go have fun :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Welcome to my world. I can't walk too far either. I understand completely.

I lived in Yuma, Az (KYUM/KNYL) for almost 30 years. I'm sorry, but I hate the desert with a passion. If I ever go near it again, it'll be too soon, I can tell you that. I finally sold my 2.7 Acres and moved to Oregon. It had gotten to the point I couldn't set foot outside my front door without a side arm, at the least. I'm just getting too old for that garbage, any more.

Yes, save your money for a better computer. Then go have fun :D

Pat☺

Pat,

Exactly! I read a book about a murder near the part of the Mojave that I learned to love as a kid. Mom said that started at age two. However, the book said that some people move there because the low rent makes sustaining a drugs habit possible. In fact, the man she profiled for the book appeared to have this type of lifestyle. She also said that walking around the desert in camouflage can get you shot. I wear the same uniform I had in Desert Storm (i.e.: woodland camouflage - there was an order that no troops would return before being issued the desert uniform, which was a lot of standing in line while we waited to come home) but have no need to worry about people thinking I'm a danger to them because of it. More people in Seattle used to wear it than do now, though.

Anyway, FS gives me a way to visit the desert without the heat or running into scary people. Or breaking down beyond the distance you can walk to get help - that almost happened in Phoenix once but I nursed the car far enough by not stopping at intersections (it was the middle of the night) that I was able to walk the rest of the way when the voltage regulator failed completely. I thought at the time, from an anecdote that was probably apocryphal, that coyotes hunted people in packs. It was scary walking back as they were howling. Now I've been told that they all do that to better separate themselves so they can find food. Man, what a night that was...

My new Goodyear blimp is coming in for a landing at the long-defunct Hawes, CA, airfield. I've never seen it in such detail except looking straight down with Google. Due to my machine not being set up for gaming I have to put it on pause and come back later to get rid of the pixelation.

Best,

Sean

Archived