Saitek Throttle Quadrant Set Up Issues?

flibby46

I apologise for the fact that this has probably been dealt with hundreds of times before: please humour me. I have an XP Pro-based 2 core rig with plenty of RAM and a good (new) video card. I started out with FS2004 (FS9) and a stand alone Saitek Yoke. I recently treated myself to a new Saitek Throttle Quadrant and I cannot for the life of me get the 'levers' to do anything. Following Saitek's advice I deleted, re-downloaded, and re-installed all the drivers and software for both but it has been a trial to get them to hold assignments which would re-appear (as if in some hidden profile - but I don't use the Saitek 'Smart Technology Programming Software). I've got the Quadrant and Yoke holding all assigned functions to buttons, but the levers (although assigned) have no effect on the aircraft controls. Has anyone else come across this, please?

It's been a long time since I ran FS9 on my cockpit system with all the Saitek toys, over 5 years due to a move and 2 operations. I can remember something to the effect that in FS9 you had to start Saitek manually from the start menu, after you start FS9 due to the fact that does not support Simconnect I would test I out but I'm in the middle of building a brand new cockpit. that was in Win7 didn't have any Saitek gear in XP just a thought hope it helps

Howard

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004916148824 (Sorry No Friends please)

Hi. Thanks for your advice. I think I may (yesterday) have resolved the problem. Leave aside the fact that my old two-core rig is right at the limit, performance-wise, it looks like I may have had a problem with the FS9.1 itself. I already had another set of disks, mistakenly supplied without disk#4. I deleted the suspect installation and reinstalled using the 'old' set and the disk#4 from the newer set (i.e. a sort of 'mix and match'). Magically the quadrant started to work. I need to take a pause but I maybe should now use the Saitek profile editor (Smart Technology), or install and use FUISPC, to set up 'profiles' for different aircraft, as now the throttle levers of individual aircraft seem to 'swap' from engine #1 to engine#2. At least the levers do now control the engines, and deploy reverse thrust, and the flaps extend and retract as they should. Thanks again.

You didn't say what the quadrant is - the X52? X52 Pro? I have done a LOT of troubleshooting with the X52, including lots of back and forth with 'MadCatz'.

Two bits of (strong) advice. If you start getting PC crashes (BSODs) while using the Saitek quadrant, you have to disable USB3 in the BIOS. Saitek know about this issue (and there's quite a bit about it if you Google), but they haven't AFAIK issued any drivers that get around the problem. As I only use my rig for FS, the lack of USB3 isn't really an issue for me, but for those who use a PC for other stuff too, it must be a real pain! If you don't get any BSODs, then obviously leave things as they are - otherwise, try Googling Saitek X52 USB3..You may even come across one of my threads about it!

The other problem I always had with Saitek was that the joystick would suddenly go off centre with certain axes. That meant on landing the a/c would want to veer off to the left or right. VERY annoying. I had to pause the sim, unplug the X52, and plug it back in again... Again, after much troubleshooting, I found that by killing the process SaiMfd.exe before every flight, I never now have that problem. (You also have to delete some registry entries, starting VID_06A - instructions from Saitek/MadCatz: details probably also on Google somewhere). (I use PSTools and a desktop shortcut to kill the process at one mouse click).

Good job that the X52/X52 Pro does such a good job in all other respects or I'd have ditched it ages ago! Despite the above, I wouldn't swap (and I have looked at most other alternatives). MadCatz were helpful and even sent me a brand new X52 (even though mine was years old), in case the problem with axes was a hardware problem. (It wasn't).

Some of all that may possibly be of some use to someone at some stage.... :)

Hi, and thanks (and to everyone else who has replied to my thread). My quadrant is the three lever ProFlight, that goes with the traditional ProFlight Yoke, not the 'stick' type X52 or X52pro. I've seen the advice about registry 'tweaks' but I'm not that competent to recover from anything I do by mistake. As it is I have nVidia Inspector to play with (and mess up) and FSUIPC to try (potentialy with similar unintened consequences).

It's a couple of years probably since I was actively troubleshooting this - since I disabled the Intel (I think it was) USB3 driver in the BIOS, and 'kill' the SaiMfd process, I have had no problems, and the Saitek software all works really well. I can't recall why the FSUIPC route didn't work for me, but no matter.

As for nVidia Inspector, there are recommended settings for FS9 and for FSX. I use those and they work great for me, though all PCs are different of course. Have a look at these (make sure you choose 'Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004' from the Profiles drop-down box first):

http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

The latest nVidia Inspector has slightly different options (or wording) now, but the guide holds good, if you choose the closest available.

Hi again, and thanks. I realised when I posted that all of these problems must have come up before, and probably years ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but the first of your 2 links seems to be an article specifically about FSX - I have FS9(.1), so I daren't follow that. Worst case scenario I suppose I can just ninstall everything and start over (I've had to do that already several times).

The FSX nVI settings are pretty much the same (if not exactly the same) as for FSX. You certainly won't mess anything up by using the settings for FSX in FS9. I have just compared my FS9 settings with those in the first link and they are identical... I tried to find the original post about FS9, but can only find the ones I posted I'm afraid. I do have the FS9 page saved to my PC though and there are no differences that I can see...

nVidia Inspector makes no permanent changes to anything - you can always go back to the default and start again, worst case scenario.

Once again, my thanks Martin. I reset my nVidia to "as shipped" and then followed your screenshot (which differed from my version of nVidia Inspector) so I had to guess at a couple. It's much better. I've downloaded a 'paid for' FUISPC, although I'm having trouble finding how to 'turn it on' and use it. I'm using XP Pro but the bBottom line is that I really need a more capable CPU. Once I go that route I might as well go the whole hog and change everything. ;-)

XP Pro is great for FS9! If you Google FSUIPC settings you'll get lots of information! Quite a bit is personal preference of course...

Yes, a good CPU is the key to good results in FS. An upgrade would be money well spent, but if you only run FS9, check first whether the CPU you have isn't already more than sufficient.

In FS9, when the sim is running, press Alt to get the menu bar at the top, go to Modules, and click on FSUIPC. You then have all the options.... You need to register it of course with the key you got when you bought it.

I attach my FSUIPC.ini file - where all the settings are stored. Just remove the .txt extension, leaving .ini, to use it. To make things easy, make a backup of your FSUIPC.ini file (FS9/Modules) and overwrite it with mine. Mine has generally 'recommended settings', which you can tweak as you see fit of course.

Note the neat 'zap' feature - a keyboard shortcut which removes AI traffic from your path, for example, when AI a/c are coming straight at you on the taxiway. Very useful! (I think it's set to the 'Z' key on my setup?).

Hope that helps.

FSUIPC.ini.txt

Hi, once more

You are a star! Thanks so much. I shall be much better 'organised' now. When I have fully explored what your 'tweaks' have done (I've only had a quick look - BIG difference) I'll decide whether I want to change any more. As you know, my PC set-up is a generation or two out of date, and my CPU is challenged, so I will have to settle for rough edges: I don't want to spend all my SIM time tweaking and not flying. I have also followed some of the suggestions in the linked article here https://static.scenerysolutions.com/Doc/performanceTuning.pdf

but have stopped short at fidling with the registry and the .cfg file (for the time being).

Archived