FSX AIcarriers2 Problems

I recently installed AIcarriers2 for my FSX and when I try to launch the application, I get a Javascript error saying that my Javascript is missing when I already have my Javascript up to date. After googling the issue, I found a version that runs on .NET http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11293.0.

https://github.com/ollyau/AICarriers/releases

I moved the AICarriers.exe, aicarriers.cfg, and the conf.d file to a seperate "AICarriers" folder on my desktop for the program to sit. It gave a list of code that I had to add EXE.exe file, which I'm not sure if it was the exe file or the dll file I was supposed to edit the code into. I decided to choose the exe.xml file and replaced all the code in it with the code provided from AIcarriers. I changed the path to find my AICarriers folder in my desktop, and after that I started FSX. I open free flight, go over the ocean, and I start the program from the AICarriers folder and sure enough the Add-Ons tab appears. I press SHIFT+J to open the menu, and I was able to spawn the default carriers and ships wherever I wanted. After playing around for a bit, I decided to go on multiplayer and was also able to spawn the ships right in multiplayer (don't think the other players could see the ships). After playing around for about 10-20 minutes, I wanted to switch airplanes, so I exit the game to go to the lobby, and my FSX crashes. My FSX crashes every now and then, so I shrugged it off thinking it was just another crash. I go to rejoin multiplayer, and when I do I try to start the AIcarriers program again but the Add-On tab never appears. NOTE the following:

I currently use FSX:Steam Edition

Before editing, I backed up my exe.xml and dll.xml files into a separate folder in case something goes wrong

It was working perfect before the crash

I looked into the FSX.CFG, and the AIcarriers program is shown as a trusted program.

My exe.xml code:

Launch

exe.xml

False

False

AICarriers

False

False

C:\Users\*MyAccountName*\Desktop\AICarriers

Any help or suggestions? :confused:

Why are you starting aicarriers.exe from the folder on the desktop?

I thought you didn't want to use it?

When you did, that caused the menu to appear. It can be started with fsx (exe.xml) or manually, doesn't matter how.

If you want to use aicarriers.net then just use that.

You can start that manually as well. Just double click.

And whay can't you remember what file? You still have the readme file right, so read again.

Another thing, aicarriers.net sometimes keeps running after closing fsx. Make sure you close it from the "Task Manager" before restarting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A path that contains spaces must be surrounded by quotes.

running programs from desktop is not the best idea.

Create a folder C:\my programs\AIcarriersNet\

and put aicarriers.net in there.

Make giving the path to the file much easier.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And whay can't you remember what file? You still have the readme file right, so read again.

I wasn't sure if the code was to be edited into the FSX exe.xml file or the dll.xlm file. Not only that but I'm not too sure on how I properly insert any code into the dll or exe file at all.

Here is the install process from the readme:

Installation:

1. Copy AICarriers.exe as well as the aicarriers.cfg and specified configuration directory (by default conf.d) to a folder of your choice.

2. Add the AICarriers entry from sample_exe.xml to the exe.xml located in %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX. (If the exe.xml doesn't already exist, copy the sample to %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX and rename it to exe.xml.)

3. In the exe.xml, replace REPLACE WITH PATH TO AICarriers.exe with the actual path to the executable.

According to the instructions all the ofiles of the original aicarriers.exe work with this version.

You had the original Aicarriers working. So I think all you had to do was replace your aicarriers.exe file, with the one from this package.

I still use the Aicarriers exe original version.

I think that for that to start automatically with fsx, using the aicarriers installer is required. Or at least recommensed.

I think the installer put's the section in the exe.xml file, but also installs a file somewhere in the Windows folder.

I found an update to the aicarrisrs.exe version once. (was not the .net version) For that to work, the installer of the original version was needed, then replacing the .exe file.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wasn't sure if the code was to be edited into the FSX exe.xml file or the dll.xlm file. Not only that but I'm not too sure on how I properly insert any code into the dll or exe file at all.

Ok, heeeere we go!

first, as has been mentioned, make a nice little folder for AICarriers someplace, someplace OTHER THAN your desktop, C:\Program Files , or C:\Program Files(X86) . Avoid those three place like there is bubonic plague contained in them :)

A brief note here, before we start editing: Make sure you download and install the correct .NET file as shown in the readme file.

To add AICarriers to your sim, ie: make it start automatically, find your sim's EXE.XML file. That's the file you need to edit.

ONLY ever use NotePad, included with Windows, or NotePad++, a small freeware editor, readily available on the net all over. Never ever use any form of word processor, like MSWord, or whatever. They add symbols in that make the file unusable to the sim.

Open your sim's EXE.XML file, as mentioned. Add in the example code provided in the download by copy-n-pasting it from the example file in the download into your EXE.XML file.

Your EXE.XML file should now look like this:

Launch

exe.xml

False

False

AICarriers

False

False

C:\Users\*MyAccountName*\Desktop\AICarriers

NOW: Find where you put AICarriers, let us just say for example that you placed it, as mentioned above, into C:\my programs\AIcarriersNet\ . Copy that path into your EXE.XML so that it now looks like this:

C:\my programs\AIcarriersNet\AICarriers.exe

Don't forget to add the AICarriers.exe at the end.

Save your EXE.XML file, close it, and start your sim. You will get a message asking if you trust AICarriers.exe. Answer yes.

Now, every time you start the sim, AICarriers will start automatically, and be in the ADD-ONS menu already, without you having to take any action at all. Just hit SHFT+J and away you go.

Note: AICarriers.NET, which I use, uses less computer resources that the original Java version. Less memory, less CPU time, whatever. It also seems to be the only version that works properly in FSX:SE. I, personally, have had, I think, a total of 3 or 4 times AICarriers hasn't shut down with FSX. Mine does every time. AICarriers.NET seems much more reliable on that than the original was.

If you have any trouble with it, ask us here, OR go to the thread on the FSDT forums dedicated to AICarriers. It was started by the author of AICarriers.NET, a one MR. Orion Lau. A very nice guy, although he is very busy in real life, so sometimes is a bit slow to answer questions. I can provide a link to the thread if you desire.

I think the installer put's the section in the exe.xml file, but also installs a file somewhere in the Windows folder.

IF that's the original, AICarriers.EXE, the old Jave version, it's installer installs the Java version it needs to run. The new one, I don't believe, does this for you. You have to DL, and install, the .NET version it requires yourself.

A small side note here about the .NET installer: Sometimes, it seems to lock up, or stop working, during the install. IT HASN'T, it just APPEARS to. Just let it run until it finishes. It's not locked, or frozen. I promise. Go get a cuppa Joe, or a soda and sandwich, or whatever, then come back and check it. It will probably be finished, or close to it.

Hope all this helps a little :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Howdy Pat. :) I was hoping you'd chime in as you know much more about the .Net version.

The link I gave:

came from the fsdt page, after clickng "Download"

this is the FSDT page:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11293.0

What I mentioned about the installer is indeed the aicarriers.exe version.

I only mentioned it, because in the Aicarriers.Net version package (top link) I saw no installer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I hope I was some small help :)

I love the new version. I started out on the old one, and it was constantly staying on after FSX:SE shut down, locking me up and so on. I was ecstatic when I found the .NET version, and when I installed it, all my troubles went away. I was very impressed.

Orion is a great guy, and helped me more than once, on this and the FSDT F/A-18, which he was responsible for the FCS for.

Now, if I could only get Paddles to make the AI LSO's just a teensy bit nicer to me... :D :D

Anywho, good luck to all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sorry I haven't responded earlier, but I was able to get AICarriers to work. I relocated AICarriers to Program Files (x86), and went into the exe.xml file to change the path to the program. If I run into anymore problems I'll refer back to this forum, but for now everything seems to be working for me. Thanks guys for the help. :)

Glad you got it going!

A small note: There are dozens, literally, of AICarriers formation files. Every carrier, and many other ships, not to mention sling loads for helicopters, and MV-22 Ospreys. DO NOT just add them into the original .cfg file that came with AIC. Place them in a folder, like ...\AICarriers\conf.d\BACKUP when you install them to AIC. If you just add them into the main .cfg file, eventually you'll wind up with 30 pages of formations when you hit SHFT+J to search through to find the formation or ship you want. Trust me on this, I speak from experience. It just becomes rediculuously unwieldly.

Put them into a subfolder in the conf.d folder as I showed, and then you can swap them in and out as you want.

Like say you have a .cfg file for two different carriers, the Nimitz and the Ike, with several formations of each ship included. Let us say, just for example, they are called Nimitz.cfg and Ike.cfg. Instead of blending both of them into the main .cfg file, place them into, as I showed, a subfolder in the conf.d folder, so you have ...\AICarriers\conf.d\BACKUP\Nimitz.cfg and ...\Ike.cfg. If you want Nimitz formations available that day just copy the Nimitz.cfg into the ...\AICarriers\conf.d folder. Bingo, now the Nimitz formations, and there are about 10-15, will now show up when you run AIC.

When you want a different set of ship formations, just delete the Nimiz.cfg from the conf.d folder. You will still have the original Nimitz.cfg in the ...\BACKUP folder for the next time, but you won't have to search through 5-6 pages to find what you want when you call the menu up with SHFT+J.

Just a little trick I learned from experience :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there...Is there a way of extending the AI Placement range to greater than 10 miles? It would be good to be able to have it placed further out than the visual range of 10 miles, like maybe 100 miles? Can this be edited somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Not that I am aware of.

Having said that, there is an FSDT forum thread dedicated to AICarriers questions, where you can ask the author of the newer version such questions.

You can find it HERE. You will need to register to post in this forum, but it's free, and easy.

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aicarriers.exe, the Java version, is a "public domain" program. Modifying is allowed as far as I can see. But do read the Readme.txt for yourself for the details.

The source code is included.

(I looked in the downloaded addon "aicarriers2.zip" - Flightsim.com File Library.)

If you can program in Java it should be possible create your own version.

I had a quick "Google" for a Java editing program, and came across this, which looked very promising.

http://javaeditor.org/doku.php?id=start

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived