Saitek X52 Pro surface degradation

evilned

I have a Saitek X52 Pro stick and throttle system and the black surfaces on the joystick section and throttle control section have become sticky to touch.

Both units work perfectly well but the stickiness is distracting and uncomfortable.

They are about three years old.

I am just wondering if anybody else has had this happen and maybe found a fix?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I noted this in the X52 thread just down the page, following a prolonged exile of my 'stick to the loft (attic). Unfortunately I couldn't see any way to eliminate the nasty sticky feel and it's already been disposed of at the local tip.
Vern.

I noted this in the X52 thread just down the page, following a prolonged exile of my 'stick to the loft (attic). Unfortunately I couldn't see any way to eliminate the nasty sticky feel and it's already been disposed of at the local tip.

This may be brought on by as you mentioned the storage conditions, temp, humidity etc and in other cases maybe just the batch of rubber they used on certain sticks. Mine as mentioned in the other thread is from 2004 and still has the rubber surfaces. Areas on the throttle are a little scuffed. Initially I thought they were claw or teeth marks from the cat (bad pussy) but appears it's just the way the rubber has degraded. No stickiness and still feels same as new under the hand. I'll try and get a pic up of mine later on.

Mark Daniels

Here is my X52. Overall condition is still ok. The closeup of the throttle shows my main area of rubber concern. However, after my last post I carefully checked my rubber surfaces. I noticed the rubber area above the twist lock on the joystick was sticky. Everywhere else is fine, the throttle is not sticky but this one area on the joystick is. Interestingly, the sticky area also never gets touched by the hand. Anyhow, from all this maybe we can evaluate the rubber problem could exist on any X52. Even so, I would still buy another one, been great for my FS'ing!

Edit: Pics removed

Mark Daniels

Archived