FSX & Directx 11

Guest ccaballero

Guest ccaballero

Hello everyone, new member here and starting with a question (SORRY) I just installed FSX Steam in my computer but I have Directx 11 and cannot change to DX9. the steam edition will not run and gives me an error code that can only work on DX9. Is there anyway to make it work?

ps/ I got the downloadable FSX no disk

Thanks in advance for the help

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

If you have a clean (as opposed to updated) or preloaded install of Win 10 then DX9 will not be installed - earlier version of W10 only shipped with DX10 and DX11 and the recent 'Anniversary' update added DX12 support. If you updated from Win 7/8, the DX9 install should have remained but it seems that, in many cases, the files were corrupted, deleted or replaced with incompatible files.

Two options available - download and install either one of these package:

DX9 Redistribution package

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=34429

The first is a comprehensive set of DX9 related components whilst the second has only the bare essential files that should allow DX9 to function as required.

Run the installer using Admin rights.

For info, all versions of DX are 'standalone' and, therefore, installing an 'older' version does not impact on newer versions installed.

Regards

Brian

Hi Jorgen,

It might do.....although the info page says it only supports Win 7 and earlier, the related info page says 'The DirectX redist installation includes all the latest and previous released DirectX runtime. This includes D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components'.

FTR - I have two rigs with Win10/FSX, one was an update from W7 and the other from W8.1. Not long after updating the W8.1 rig the HDD went south so had to get a new disk (replaced with a lager capacity SSD) and so did a fresh install of Win 10 and FSX. Problems related to that install led me to the solution I posted. I used the Redist pack and have not seen any issues with it when running any of the programs/games I have installed on the rig, which includes some, like Dying Light and Fallout 4, that use DX11.

Regards

Brian

Archived