The Monster Cub!

N33029

Gang,

Possibly as a result of making the J-3C more powerful and then back to 65 HP, when I slowly apply power at take-off, the wings hit the runway and it runs off the runway. I still don't have AirEd, but I did change one aircraft.cfg roll setting from 1.0 to 0.3. Like I said I am back to 65 HP and I just looked at the Wikipedia article on this particular engine. The displacements are close and my compression ratio is 6.5:1. Now what happens at take off is a strong yaw to port which is controllable by application of full opposite rudder.

I don't remember the J-3 being a bear to get off the ground when I started flying it although landings always resulted in a wing hitting the runway. Thoughts?

I printed the Wikipedia article and will compare what it says about the engine to my configuration file.

Thanks,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

To keep it simple, ALWAYS back up your files before you start wrenching on them. :)

I'm not sure about FS9, but FS5-FS2002 were not coded for tail draggers (not counting the Pup which is a whole 'nother animal). In some ways, its as if tail draggers violate the laws of FS's universe, or at least it's dynamics.

One thing you could try is to dive into the "gear and scrape" section and set the mains farther apart. You might also try setting the tail wheel farther back (or a combination of both). This is cheating but its easier than goofing with the horsepower and prop.

One thing you could try is to dive into the "gear and scrape" section and set the mains farther apart. You might also try setting the tail wheel farther back (or a combination of both). This is cheating but its easier than goofing with the horsepower and prop.

Actually, the mysterious 'backup' on my desktop had a 7.5:1 compression ratio (should be 6.5:1). I have FS9 on two machines and I can't remember if I left the other one alone. I'll check that tonight.

I think I could re-install to a different directory, maybe a thumb drive if I had to.

However, the monster cub still wants to go off the left side of the runway after the tail lifts up.

Best,

Sean

'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

I'm not sure if this is of any help, I remember seeing it a while ago, it helps the steering of a tail dragger:

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php...isc&DLID=57955

"404". What was it back when it was online?

Thanks,

Sean

The Cub FDEs have been 'done' before. No need to re-invent the wheel. Here go:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=81681

cubspec.zip

Size: 2,061,205 Date: 10-22-2004 Downloads: 4,060

FS2004 Piper Cub PA-11 N4971H "Flight of Passage" and N4711U. Features modified flight dynamics that allow for slips and spins. N4971H was the airplane that carried Kern and Rinker Buck from coast to coast in Summer 1966 on their famous 'Flight of Passage'. Repaint, new PA-11 flight dynamics and reworked panels by Peter Henne. Original model of PA-18 by J.E. Narcizo. Original J3 panel by Yannick Lavigne.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Here is a video to inspire you on your quest to fly the Cub. Link: http://youtu.be/JcaHOGG7PZQ . Cheers.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived