"First post newbie" needs setup help with controls and FSX

oldusedbear11

Hope I'm in the appropriate part of the forum. I have recently purchased a Saitek hardware bundle that includes the yoke, throttle quadrant, pedals, plus separately got the Cessna trim wheel component. Then, went to Saitek.com and downloaded drivers and software for each component. Nothing more, so that is a total of 8 downloads.

The instructions seem minimal to me, but then say "at the Driver Setup Screen, only when prompted, insert the USB cable into one of your computer's USB ports, then click NEXT. This is the point where things don't seem to come together - - I haven't as yet seen the Driver Setup Screen, nor have I received any prompt to plug in the USB cable. As such, there seems to be no "connection" between my swell new controls, and the FSX Steam Version of my flight simulator. I can fly the various aircraft with keyboard and mouse commands, but the Yoke, pedals etc. are having no effect.

To (perhaps) complete this picture, I'm 88 years old and may need more help than some of you younger folks.

Hope this is a step towards getting started.

oldusedbear11

I had similar experiences installing their radio and multifunction panels along with the trim wheel. It was a messy and muddled process with no clear indication that everything was in order.

When you go into your FSX-->Options-->Settings-->Controls, are you able to find your new devices in the drop-down list?

Thanks for replying. When I go into FSX , under controls it only shows Mouse yoke, and Mouse look - - I don't have the USB cable from the controls package plugged into the computer, so I guess the FSX doesn't "know" what I have in the way of Saitek controls. It isn't plugged in because I was waiting for the "plug it in" command which I never got - - they seemed pretty specific about plugging in the USB from controls "only when prompted." Am I missing some procedure which would tell FSX about my Saitek controls perhaps?

Hi olduser,

As I don't have the same hardware as you I can only make a general suggestion as to what to do when adding any hardware. The first thing to keep in mind is that Windows has to recognize the hardware. That being said I suggest first unplugging all of the new hardware. Next go into Windows Control Panel and click "Devices and Printers". As I don't know which version of Windows you have the name may be different but you want to see icons for all the various hardware you have connected. Next plug in the Yoke and see if it installs and the needed drivers are downloaded\installed as appropriate. You could plug in anything but it's likely that Windows will recognize the yoke natively. Once you see the icon right-click it and click on the choices that seem likely for checking the operation. Probably something like game controller settings. Once it seems to be working properly move on to the next device. If you get through all of this then is the time to fire up FSX and check the operation.

Jim F.

Your USB devices (yoke, joystick, trim wheel) have electronics inside. They are not 'dumb' devices. As such, you have to plug them into a POWERED USB jack. Not all of the jacks on back or front of PC are 'powered' (ie: provide 5 volts dc).

Your best bet is for you buy a 'POWERED USB HUB' that plugs in to wall (or strip) (110 volt). This will provide you with powered usb jacks you need. Amazon has a 4 port Power USB HUB, ver 3.0 (backward compatible to ver 2.0) for $18. Don't buy the $4 cheap ones (they don't last).

When you get them connected you can try what Jim suggests. If it still doesn't work you need to learn how to 'point' Windows (by browse) to where the drivers are for your equiptment. It's as simple as finding a '*.msi' file and Windows will look under whatever folder you click on if you also check 'Look in Sub Folders' option. You can do it.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I'm not thinking it's a power issue. Non-powered just means that it won't support higher power-drawing devices (charging features, etc). If the port will support a keyboard or a mouse, it'll support a yoke controller. What operating system are you using? When you plug in each device, you should see some indication in your task bar (lower right corner) that your system sees them and is attemping to install drivers. Is this happening? If not, try your mouse in each one to determine whether or not that port is functioning.

..I have recently purchased a Saitek hardware bundle that includes the yoke, throttle quadrant, pedals, plus separately got the Cessna trim wheel component. Then, went to Saitek.com and downloaded drivers and software for each component. Nothing more, so that is a total of 8 downloads.

That's quite a big mouthfull for a newcomer to bite off and for two pins I'd be a wet blanket and suggest you go out and buy or borrow a simple joystick and use that for a while and then have another crack at getting your big bundle to work later..

Archived