3D panels for multi-monitor cockpit?

jumpdc3s

Am returning to PC flying after an 8 year absence, and WOW have things evolved! Will be setting up a (simple) multi-monitor arrangement with two monitors inside the cockpit for instruments, etc. and one big flat-screen TV for the outside view...

Back when I last did this using 2D panels you could simply undock the individual pieces and drag them onto different displays... My question is, can that be done with the 3D panels in use today? As I look at different aircraft I'd like to fly, many don't even have 2D panels, so before I start spending $$$ I want to find out what the limitations are... Thanks...

JumpDC3s

Welcome to the forum JumpDC3s and welcome back to flight simming. As far as I know, there is no way to undock the 3D cockpit (otherwise known as the VC or virtual cockpit) as unlike the panels, that is coded in the model. The options are to create and undock a new 3D view zoomed in to the area of the panel that you want to view (at a significant frame rate penalty). In many of the aircraft (and some that only have 3D virtual cockpits) also have pertinent panels (FMC, GPS, Radio stack, throttle quadrant, overhead panel, PFD, ND to name a few) that are separate 2D panels..like you are used to from the good old days that can be undocked and moved to separate monitors.

With that said, the planes that are 3D only generally have good enough graphics and clickable cockpits that flying within the VC (I recommend with the aide of a Track IR device) is totally doable. This is what I'm doing these days. Years ago I was running a triple screen setup with the out the window view on the 3 monitor setup and placing the panels on two additional monitors mounted down in front to act as my intstrument panel. These days I fly with a triple screen setup in VC with Track IR and use a fourth monitor with additional functions placed out there like FSMoving Map and the controls for Active Sky and remote flight server for my iPads. Which reminds me, if you have a tablet like an iPad kicking around, have a look on the App Store for RemoteFlight accessories. They have instrument panels, radio stacks, FMC's, autopilot panels PFD/ND's, etc. which can all be run remotely on a tablet running a very low overhead server utility on the PC. Might give you most of what you remember from your old days with separate panel displays.

I'm sure some other folks will have some additional suggestions for you. Enjoy the hobby. It has come a very long way and the available addons out today are really great.

Paul

My question is, can that be done with the 3D panels in use today

Yes - just open another view and drag to another screen. BUT - you will likely hit the performance hard, so going over two 3D windows is going to be a problem unless you have a super-computer. Other options are to create 2D panels using a third-party product such as Air Manager or Panel Builder. One advantage of these is you can run panels on a separate computer. Of the two, I recommend Air Manager.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Archived