Cleaning a computer

kiri

There was another thread about this yesterday...

Anyway, yes, most canned "air" has that in it. It allows them to get a lot more "blow time" than if they tried to use regular air, like what you breathe all the time. If they tried that, they would need something like a small scuba tank with a regulator on it. With the butane, it evaporates in the can as you use it, maintaining a fairly constant pressure. A pretty low pressure so you don't blow your CPU out of the computer.

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I'm not as gentle on cleaning. I use my shop-vac on blow.

I have two desk-tops with one dedicated to FSX. I blow them out twice a year.

Thus far, no problems, but a lot of dust gone!

zach

Digital Storm, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel i5 4690k (OC 4.5 GHz)

Dell U2713HM & Dell 2405 PTW, ASRock Z97, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, UT2

8GB DDR3 SP, NVIDA GeForce GTX 970, Nvidia Inspector, RC4, Opus wx,

FSX Gold, GEX, UTX, REX (4, Soft, Airports), FS Global 2008, PMDG 737 & J41

In my 32 year career in the computer industry I have found nothing works like an air compressor. It gets the dust out of those hard to reach places. When using an air compressor be sure not to over spin your fans. I use a small screwdriver to hold them still as I clean them. Paying for air in a can always seemed like a scam to me.

That's my preferrred tool. A good air compressor. They never run out, just come on once in a while, and you can get more pressure out of them. Very handy indeed!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Don't forget to brush, tooth pic, wet Q-Tip, and then blow your CPU heat riser FINS. There is a lot of dust and fuzz trapped in there and THAT is THE main area of concern as far as dust is concerned. Might even have to remove it, clean it out, clean contact area with alchohol, clean cpu contact area with alchohol, put dab of silver oxide, and re-clamp it down. Once a year? More often if extra dusty (windows open, old carpet (rug bunnies), next to agriculture fields). WHY some people have PC for 5 years and never clean it out is beyond me.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived