Xplane 11 beta and user manual now available

derrski

has anyone been able to actually install this? I've downloaded the trial twice and unzipped the installation file, but windows stops the install and when i go around windows to continue the install, the installer program reports that it isn't compatible with the operating system [10] ??

Xplane 11 will be a game changer for sure! I;m running t he beta at all graphic settings max'd and still get 20+ FPS on my system. The scenery and textures are amazing!

As a long-time FSX pilot, I am thoroughly impressed with XPlane 11! This is what FSX users have been waiting on for years. I have a lot of time and money invested in FSX- I have nearly all of the ORBX addons, Aerosoft airports, Flightbeam scenery, Carenado, Milviz, A2A aircraft and just about every other high-end addon you can think of. XPlane seems to have that complexity programmed in (Thank god for 64-bit code!). I have been testing out the perfromance for the last day and here is what I am getting:

• All rendering options are set to MAX with the exception of AA- That is at 2X SSAA+FXAA (about mid-range)
  • Running at full screen, 2560x1440 32-bit on a BenQ 144MHz LCD monitor
  • FOV is set to 60 degrees
  • VSync is not checked
  • World objects set to MAX
  • Reflection Detail set to MAX

With the above settings in the C-172 Skyhawk, I can fly around KSEA and the city and the lowest FPS I was getting was 19. My FPS ranges from 19-25 in these areas. I was trying to find some action that would impact it. I don't see any settings for traffic gen but i imagine that would change this a bit.

The items I was really impressed with, especially in a beta, were:

• Trains, cars, trucks- the level of detail is astonishing! I saw police cars with their lights going.
  • The terrain detail- I was flying around KSAN and some other southwest areas- the shadowing detail is incredible
  • Aircraft external and internal lighting is awesome- bloom effects, cockpit lighting adjustments- all very nice
  • Airfield lighting, shadows, and reflections are looking real good
  • Aircraft skin reflection is excellent
  • Night lighting is beautiful! You can even see highway roadsigns in detail! (Propsmanland, Fabian Woods..Wonder what those places are as the highway signs in Seattle go there!
  • Vector graphics look good- not sure on the accuracy, but it is reminiscent of ORBX FTX Vector results. This gives realistic shorelines, rivers, etc...
  • Aircraft performance on the 172 seems to be done pretty well. I havent had a chance to check out a lot of the other acft models yet.
  • Scenery density is incredible with little hit on framerate (at least on my rig which is pretty nice)

Things that I imagine are still being tweaked (I know its early beta, so I wont be too critical!):

• With the time set to dusk, the sky looks pretty rough- no dithering or smoothness
  • Wet runway water- not the best graphics when plowing through the water- Nothing like VFX for FSX, but I can see that happening easily with XPlane!
  • No snow yet that I can see- I hope that will be part of a comprehensive weather engine in the future
  • It would be cool to see moving people, similar to ORBX fluid textures.(I think its called ObjectFlow)

Anyway, I am very excited to see what develops in the final release, plus all the new 3rd-party addons that we will see. XPlane 11 has truly advanced the flight sim industry to the next generation finally!

I've got one freeze while calibrating Saitek gear, but otherwise no problems. 40 fps at KSEA (monitor is 2560x1440), with a mix of high and max settings, so I'm hopeful I can better that tomorrow. TrackIR works great. The way it looks, graphics quality-wise, is way nicer (subjective, I know) than I had with FSX. AI craft look good.

Installing the demo if you've got the upgrade option from XP 10 means a complete install of XP 11 on your desktop (if you choose default), and does not delete XP10, which means you need enough space for both XP10 and 11.

Downloading took about 4 hrs, YMMV.

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Clearly my rig doesn't have the oomph that Vegasjon's beastie has. Contrary to what I wrote above, I had reflections at default which was rather low, and Rendering with 2X SSAA+FXAA . Bringing this up to high went well for a few minutes at 19-20 fps, then as I panned around, dropped to 1.9 fps (!) and stayed there. I suppose I may have run out of RAM? I use a rather wide FOV, 68°.

Anyhow, even with the lower setting, I'm mighty pleased.

´´´\/```

ok....so i paid the money, tried the install link again and same behavior. Any ideas before I call Laminar and discuss with them ?

Jim

Jim, you'll need to give us your computer specs. Which OS are you running? X-Plane 11 does not have support for Windows XP.

Does your system meet the minimum requirements? See

http://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11...-requirements/

Why did you pay the money if the free demo did not work? From LR:

"If your system is borderline, we encourage you to try the demo first. The full version of the simulator will perform exactly the same as the demo—neither better nor worse."

David

´´´\/```

Archived