What about "Rise of Flight"

jandjfrench

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with Rise of Flight? I see it's free to play at Steam and they have an inexpensive collection of WWI aircraft. I guess I'm a bit nostalgic about Red Baron and Wings of Glory. I don't have high expectations but don't want to waste my time checking out something really poor.

Jim F.

No personal experience, but I've read very good reviews of this (before it went to Steam, which I cannot endorse); the only reason I don't have it is my antiquated system barely meets the requirements, many people have said you need at least 8gig RAM and a 2gig vid card to do it justice.

FWIW, I recently reinstalled Red Baron and RB2 for a bit of nostalgic fun; have not been able to get Wings of Glory working on any system since '98, and cannot find my Flying Corps disc (nor any download of this old gem). There is a nice mod for CFS - scenery, airports, aircraft, missions - which converts it to a WW1 sim; I spent more time with this than the default CFS.

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with Rise of Flight? I see it's free to play at Steam and they have an inexpensive collection of WWI aircraft. I guess I'm a bit nostalgic about Red Baron and Wings of Glory. I don't have high expectations but don't want to waste my time checking out something really poor.

Jim F.

Check some YouTube clips out. It's addictive. And the online part is great too.

It's well worth trying, and as it's free you've nothing to lose. The free download includes (from memory) flyable Albatros DV and SPAD XIII with missions and campaigns, and all other aircraft, including new releases, are available as AI. If you want to fly them, or add extra maps, you have to pay, though they are a lot less than most FSX addons, and there are half price sales fairly regularly, including now. The graphics are very good, with lighting effects comparable with the IL-2 series.

http://riseofflight.com/store/

Rats! Why won't anything work properly first time?

Yeah give it a go. As it's free you've got nothing to lose. It is an awesome sim, with great graphics, flight modelling, damage modelling, sound and general atmosphere. You really get the sensation of flight in those "paper planes. Also as stated you can pick up aircraft in sales regularly for around $2 or $3 USD. They have a sale on now.

http://riseofflight.com/

Highly recommended.

Archived