F-18 Nav Radio Broken

Hey guys,

I tried to establish a Localizer for the first time in the Default F-18 for Steam. I punched in the ils freq into the up-front control panel, hit the ils soft key, but nothing happened. After messing around with this trying to get it to work, I found out the that typing it on the UFC number pad, it puts the frequency -.01 off from what I typed in! I also cant select the X channel, it only stays on "Y".

I only found one other thread on this, but the only solution on that thread was to put in the 172 radio stack. I have the radio stack, but I just want to keep it as realistic as possible, so i only want to use that as an absolute last resort. Here is what that other thread said (it explains my problem a little more in depth):

"Whenever I try and enter either a TACAN channel or a VHF frequency into the UFC, it displays the tacan channel one less than I inputted and always the Y and never X. If I try to hit the X button, the displayed channel drops by 1 and immediately returns to Y. I'm never able to correctly tune the navaid I want.

Example: I try to enter Corpus Christi VORTAC. I hit the TCN button on the UFC then punch in 102 and hit enter. What happens is the entry field changes to 101 and the X switches to Y and never can switch back to X. If I try to enter the VHF frequency of 115.50, I get the same result. If I hit the X button, the display switches to 101Y. Hit it again and I see 100Y.

I switched to another aircraft to see what was going on with the VHF frequency and the NAV1 radio showed 115.49. This is exactly .01 off from what I entered. Does anyone else have this problem and is there any workaround to fixing it?"

If anyone knows how to fix this, whether its replacing a file, or going into a file to fix the coding, please let me know! It is also happening on Jimi's F-18 as well.

Thanks for reading this long post lol

-Josh

17" 1920x1080 Laptop Display | Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (FSX) | NVIDIA GTX 860M (P3D v4) | Intel® Core i7-4810MQ CPU @2.80GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Firstly, which version of Jimi's Hornet? I use it extensively, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I started using on the v15.2, and now am madly in love with the v16.1. I have found that on a lot of the TACANs, I do have to punch in the full frequency to get it to work right, but when I do, it does display the TACAN channel I've selected. For example, as you did, I punch in 115.50, enter, and it displays 102X. Works for me every time.

I'm not saying it doesn't do it to you. I suspect, however, and no insult intended at all here, really, user error someplace. Have you read through the How-To by Virtuali, in THIS THREAD? It may hit some point I'm not seeing.

On the UFC, you push the TACAN button, then punch in the freq. you want, yes? Then hit Enter? I'm just triple checking the right buttons, in the right order.

At the very worst, two workarounds: 1) Pause the Sim, switch to, say, the default C172, punch the freq you want into NAV1, make sure it's the active freq, then go back to Hornet, or 2) If you know panel editing, put in the C172 radio as a pop-up, and use the NAV1 there. Although I personally prefer the ComGold Radio add-on. VERY nice radio system. Made for FS9, but works fine in FSX. I got it over at Avsim, file name comgold.zip.

Just checking, if you're using the v16.1, which I strongly recommend, do you have the Base load-out, AND whichever other loadout you prefer? Did you put the gauges into the \FSX\Gauges folder when you installed it? Do you have the Hornet.dll in the right place? I think it goes into the root FSX folder. Try replacing it if you do, maybe you got a corrupted version. Do you have the right C++ Redistributable loaded? What about the right Simconnect version? I'd have to look and try to recall which one that is.

I'm kinda grasping at straws here. Honestly, and again, I mean absolutely NO insult at all, I honestly don't, but this problem has always been "Operator error" somewhere along the line, in my experience.

Keep us informed, though. I'm always willing to learn something new :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Firstly, which version of Jimi's Hornet? I use it extensively, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I started using on the v15.2, and now am madly in love with the v16.1.

I'm flying the 14.9 FLEET variant as i have found it the most suitible one for my needs at this time. The reason i dont fly the 16.1 or even the 15.6 is because something is wrong with the flight logic in both versions. Uncommanded rolls take place and the auto trim stays stuck at low speed with full aft stick, plus other issues (i confirmed with other people so its not jsut my aircraft). Those are also the main reasons (to my knowledge) of why the FSX Blue Angels fly the 15.4 instead of 16.1 as well.

no insult intended at all here, really, user error someplace.

No offense taken! In fact, I'm hoping its user error, because if it's something wrong with the coding, it will be a LOT harder to fix, even impossible!

On the UFC, you push the TACAN button, then punch in the freq. you want, yes? Then hit Enter? I'm just triple checking the right buttons, in the right order.

I actually hit ILS, as im trying to establish the localizer. When it first shows on the UFC, everything is fine. It stays on the X mode (mode? Channel? i dont really know how to phrase it lol). However, once I type in the freq and hit ENT, it immediately switches to Y mode and puts my freq -.01 down from what I typed in! For example, If i typed in 111(.) 50 and hit ENT, it would put it as 111.49, and cant dial it up .01 cause then it would put it at 111.54 and not 111.55. Like I said before, it switches from X mode to Y mode automatically once i type in the freq. And if I press the key to switch it back to X mode, it'll bump the freq im on down one notch, then switch right back to Y mode.

I think your other questions were directed towards the 16.1. But if they werent, let me know and Ill answer them. I could also make a quick video if you want to see visually.

Thanks for your help man!!

17" 1920x1080 Laptop Display | Intel® HD Graphics 4600 (FSX) | NVIDIA GTX 860M (P3D v4) | Intel® Core i7-4810MQ CPU @2.80GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I could also make a quick video if you want to see visually.

No need. I understand :) I don't fly the 14.6 any more, as the 16.1 works so perfectly FOR ME. I'm not saying for everyone, just for me. I never get any of the things happen to me that you mention it doing. Again, to me.

I DID fly the 15.2 (was it the 15.6? I don't recall, the last v15.whatever :) ) a lot, and enjoyed a great deal. Having said that, I did a LOT of work on it with Peter, who made a ton of paints with it too. He has his own thread if you want it, I can link it for you. Sounds like you're already familiar with the forum, though. I DO read and respond to it a lot, just so you know. Same screen name.

I seem to recall this problem with the 14.6, and as far as I know, the "switch planes back and forth" method of setting the radio was the only cure for those that had it, although iirc Virtuali mentioned having the right Simconnect version running could be part of the trouble. I can go through the thread and see what I can find, if you want.

I think you're doing it right, athough, and I may well be wrong on this, that the only way to switch channel X and Y is in the TACAN screen. Instead of the ILS, try the TACAN button. I've found the two are pretty much interchangeable, and to me, the TACAN side seems to be more reliable, and versatile.

IE: You can enter an ILS freq into the TACAN page just as well. Try it maybe? It's worth a shot. The X and Y channels are normally assigned by the UFC depending on the freq inputted. Like if you put in 111.50, it will think you mean TACAN (just as an example) 35X, and if you try to change it, it will reset it again, because that's what that freq is for. Have you tried using the TACAN button, and entering the channel you need? Like 35Y or whatever? It might help, maybe. I know it works on the ILS/VOR for Coupevelle FCLP field. I think it's 108.00, and it picks X for you. that's the VOR, but if you switch it to the Y channel, it's the ILS. Same TACAN displayed, ch. 20, but X is the VOR, and Y is the ILS.

Just curious, where do you see the actual frequency displayed? Normally, if you enter a freq, it will display as a TACAN channel, not frequency. That's why I ask. If you're seeing a frequency on the UFC, you may not be in the right screen, maybe? The COM radios display as freq's, but not the TACAN or ILS.

By the way, the 16.1 FCS works extremely well for me. Just so you know. As long as you don't turn it "off" by accident, or try to exceed the plane's capabilities. Then it can get a little squirrely, and need a reset. And you have to have the right Simconnect and C++ Redist. It installs that for you, though, if you let it. Not the Simconnect, though, you have to install that yourself, from the SDK. For what good it is, I think it has a 16 in it LOL!

Also, from what I've seen, only the Training and Clean loadouts have the correct weights and MOI's although the others are pretty close, just not quite there yet. I'm going to start working it as soon as I can, to try to help. I've mentioned it to Jimi, but atm RL seems to have hold of him, so changes are not out yet.

Ok, I'll shut up now. I hope something in all this babbling helps a little bit, anyway...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

I don't fly the 14.6 any more, as the 16.1 works so perfectly FOR ME.

I might just switch and try out the 16.1 again as the 14.9 just has so many problems inside the cockpit (like the master warning doesnt even work, so if something happens, i wont know).

although iirc Virtuali mentioned having the right Simconnect version running could be part of the trouble.

Ok, How do I check I have the right sim connect? Simple google-it thing or?

You can enter an ILS freq into the TACAN page just as well

Ok so I just tried this And although it does switch to X for me, it still puts the freq down -.01 for some reason. So i guess you fixed the X mode part of the problem lol. Thanks

TACAN button, and entering the channel you need?

Just ran flight sim to try this and on the TCN it lets me select X and Y, but still puts it to 111.74 (i tried 54y for Sky-Harbors rwy 26)

Just curious, where do you see the actual frequency displayed? Normally, if you enter a freq, it will display as a TACAN channel, not frequency.

Yeah it displays 34x or 67y on the lcd display for me. I just threw in a Cessna radio stack to try to figure out he problem. It displays a frequency -.01 lower than i typed in. Ans I cant change it on the radio stack because it throws off any number i tune to by -.01 after i try it on the ufc panel. I usually restart flight sim to reset the frequency.

By the way, the 16.1 FCS works extremely well for me. Just so you know

I might just give it a second chance

As long as you don't turn (the FCS) "off" by accident, or try to exceed the plane's capabilities.

Is there a switch inside the cockpit to turn off the FCS?

And you have to have the right Simconnect and C++ Redist.

What is the correct c++ i need for it to work?

I've mentioned it to Jimi, but atm RL seems to have hold of him, so changes are not out yet.

Yeah I heard he was working on the 16.2 and apparently its working great so far! Cant wait for it to get out!

Loving your babbling btw! XD Thanks for your help Phantom! Hopefully this will get resolved soon!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok, How do I check I have the right sim connect? Simple google-it thing or?

What is the correct c++ i need for it to work?

You can go to Control Panel> Programs and Features. The programs you have installed are listed there, usually alphabetically. The Simconnect you need is v10.0.62615.0. It is contained (usually) in the SDK, or I can try to see if I can find the install file someplace and PM it to you. Or just link it here. When you install (if you decide to :) ) the v16.1, it will automatically install the right C++ Redistributable for you. Should you choose to look for it yourself, the version needed is C++ Redistributable 2015 (X86) located HERE. Mr. Orion, on the FSDT forum, is a super expert on this, as he wrote the software for the FCS, mostly. Any questions you have, he is a absolute font of information.

Just verifying a little something I noticed: When you input a frequency, do you use a decimal point in it? IE: 111.50? Or do you punch in 1-1-1-5-0 (ENTER), no decimal point? The second method is correct. No decimal.

Is there a switch inside the cockpit to turn off the FCS?

Yes. The Spin Recovery Switch, right-hand angled panel, above the Caution Panel. It's in in a yellow-black striped area, and is guarded by a red cover. Flip the cover up, flip the switch, and the FCS is "OFF". A 5 second delay will make sure you get a good FCS Reset. Then flip the Switch back off, and the cover back down. Normally used, as the name implies, if you are in an unrecoverable spin, or flight regime of some sort, as a last resort kind of attempt to regain control. But you can use it any time you like. Just so you know, it sets the control surfaces to a specific configuration, to try and recover the aircraft from a spin. Flying with it ON is virtually impossible. Just a head's up :)

I believe switching the Master Arm switch on the left hand side of the main control panel (Not the one on the HUD control panel) will do it also, but don't quote me on that. The Master Arm doesn't reconfigure the control surfaces like the Spin Recovery Switch does, though. The few times I've needed it, I used the Spin Recovery Switch. Usually when I am trying to do the Pirouette Maneuver. I'll get it 100% right someday! :D

I have a horrible habit of really pushing the v16.1, sorry. I am just so in love with it :) If you need to know where to get the autoinstaller, just look for any of Jimi's posts, and it's at the bottom, under his Signature picture. Or I can post it for you, if you prefer. Remember, you absolutely must install the Base model, and then select the load-out of your choice. Training, Clean, Blue Angels, and so on.

If you choose to try it, and want to do carrier work, may I also strongly recommend AICarriers.NET (not the EXE version. The .NET works a lot better. FOR ME! I think Mr. Orion wrote it) and the vLSO program, by the famous Paddles. It has it's own thread. You can get the AICarriers.NET by a quick Google of it, or I can find Mr. Orion's website he has for it. It uses a .NET Framework from Microsoft, which you will need to install if you don't already have it. Again, it's on Mr. Oriion's website, or at least a link to it is. I think it's mentioned in the AICarriers install Readme too. I think. Although very seldom :)

We will get this solved eventually, you wait and see!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First off, sorry for not responding back. I have a horrible habit of being irresponsible and forgetting to do something quite a bit.

I checked my simconnect version and im running v10.0.62615.0, But I never ran the installers that (im pretty sure) are in the sdk.

I wish the spin recovery switch worked on the 14.9, but it doesnt unfortunately. I can flip the switch but nothing happens.

I noticed: When you input a frequency, do you use a decimal point in it? IE: 111.50? Or do you punch in 1-1-1-5-0 (ENTER), no decimal point?

Yes I do it the second way with no decimal.

If you choose to try it, and want to do carrier work, may I also strongly recommend AICarriers.NET (not the EXE version. The .NET works a lot better. FOR ME!

Yeah ive been using aicarriers a lot, but im running the .exe version. Do you know the differences between the exe and net?

and the vLSO program, by the famous Paddles.

Ahh yes, what would I do without it! Just completed my requalifications today with it!

Thanks for helping man, but the nav problem still persists :/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah ive been using aicarriers a lot, but im running the .exe version. Do you know the differences between the exe and net?

The .NET version is written to utilize the .NET Framework for windows, where the .EXE is written in C++. The .NET Framework software takes a lot less computer resources. IE: RAM and CPU cycles. It also seems quite a bit more reliable. It reduces, a LOT, the incidence of the program not unloading when you exit the Sim, also. At least in my experience.

IMO, it's just a better over-all bit of software. As I recall, it was written by Mr. Orion, and you know how good he is. He's the one that did most of the software for the FCS, and so on, for all the f-18 versions, sooo...

Other than than all that, it works pretty much the same, with the folder structure for it being the same. IE: all the carrier sailing plans are the same. And interchangeable. Any plan you had for the .EXE version work identicaly in the .NET version. Also, the .NET just seems to work better with the newer Windows versions.

Ahh yes, what would I do without it! Just completed my requalifications today with it!

I think, although I am not certain, that Paddles either recently, or will soon, released a newer, or at least updated version. You might want to check his thread on the Forum. Heck, it's up to page 92 or 93 so far :)

I will dig some more into the Nav problem, but I think short term, the best thing to do is install a pop-up radio stack to use to program the freq's into, rather than the UFC. Not realistic, I know, but effective. Just curious, and I'm not sure it has any effect on the Nav radios, but check back to about page 75 of Jimi's F-18 thread. I think Mr. Orion put out a more recent, somewhat updated Hornet.DLL that might help, I don't know. I use it, but what effect it has on the radios, I can't say.

I'll keep looking! This problem was fairly common, from what I seem to recall, so I'll dig through some of the older entries to see what solutions people used. Other than the pop-up radio stack :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ohhh I might just switch over to the .NET framework in that case lol. I installed Jaivers 2.0 Nimitz carrier for AIcarriers, but that installation package only came with the .EXE version of AIC. Ill have to figure out how to move his nimitz textures so it can run on the .NET version.

Also you mentioned Sailing plans for the carrier.. Im not sure what you mean by this but imma take a guess and say that there is a way to make ai carriers follow a route in fsx?? or am i completely off?? XD

I think, although I am not certain, that Paddles either recently, or will soon, released a newer, or at least updated version. You might want to check his thread on the Forum. Heck, it's up to page 92 or 93 so far

On FSDeveloper.com right? I JUST made an account on there today because I saw someone is currently working on a brand new and superior MV-22B model for FSX and P3D!

but I think short term, the best thing to do is install a pop-up radio stack to use to program the freq's into, rather than the UFC

Yeaah I ended up doing just that with the cessna radio stack, cause it is, after all, better than no working ils or NAV. :)

-Josh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ill have to figure out how to move his nimitz textures so it can run on the .NET version.

Also you mentioned Sailing plans for the carrier.. Im not sure what you mean by this but imma take a guess and say that there is a way to make ai carriers follow a route in fsx?? or am i completely off?? XD

A) No need to move anything involving textures, because;

B) Yes there is. In the aicarriers folders there is one labeled conf.d. Inside that you will find files named cvn_68_69.cfg, or whatever. Javier's Nimitz V2 came with at least one of that type. Those files provide the definitions of the Carrier Task Forces that you can find when you hit J with AICarriers running. Things like Single Carrier, Carrier and 2 Cruisers. That sort of thing. I think I also found a few on Flightsim. Just type in CARRIER in the search box, FSX ALL FILES heading. Either version, although I STORNGLY recommend Orion's .NET version, which may be found HERE. There is also a thread for it on the FSDT forums, found HERE. They both work the same, so you can just move any .cfg files you have in the .EXE version's conf.d folder to the newer version's folder. I would also recommend NOT allowing it to install to C:\Program Files or ...\Program Files(X86) folders. It can make adding or changing the .cfg files somewhat difficult. It comes with a pretty good Readme about all this fun stuff :D And of course, there is the Forum thread.

Remember, you will need the proper .NET Framework file. There is a link to it on the DL page, and I think in the thread someplace too. Or just make a post asking Orion. He's actually a very nice guy.

There are also a few sailing tracks that have been published. They assisgn siling plans to the various carriers that came in Javiers Nimitz V2, and some others, if you have them installed. And yes, they are landable, but be aware, they tend to turn unexpectedly, and are NOT part of AICarriers.NET ops, so you kinda have to search for the ILS Freq's for them. Like Javer's Nimitz is 47X (114.00), another is 57X (115.00) and so on. See a pattern here? :D Basically, they are very similar to AI aircraft flights, that you put in in the FSX\Scenery\Global\scenery folder. Again, type CARRIER in the search box in the library, they're in there someplace :)

vLSO, btw, may be found HERE, and it's forum thread on FSDT HERE.

Again, stay away from the C:\ folders I mentioned earler.

Whew! I have a headache now...:p

On FSDeveloper.com right?

Again, nope. See the above links, although the FSDev site is outstanding for all kinds of info about everything sim. Aircraft, scenery, effects, models, you name it. It has a lot of links to the software needed, if any, for editing all of the above. Look around. Great site :)

Hope all that got you pointed in the right directions...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so I tried using the .NET variant of AiCarriers a few days back, and although the shift+J window popped up, the AiCarriers program would crash everytime I would either try to open the "Select waypoint Facility" or "set at user position". If I cant figure out anything on how to fix that, I'll make a new thread on it.

Also, I went onto google to look more into the Nav comm problem with the F-18 UFC. I know you mentioned earlier something about simconnect possibly being the issue. Well I ran into another forum the other day, and one of the users said that steam only installs one of the 4 simconnect installations. So I followed the instructions to install the rest of the simconnect installers. I loaded up FSX to see if the ufc issue still persists, and unfortunately, it still does.

I'm beginning to think it may be a corrupt gauge file or something like that. But if that is the case, what gauge file (or file in general) codes the ufc so its usable? maybe I can replace whatever file that is to fix it.

-Josh

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived