Fuel usage problem for overseas flight (737-800)

Guest supamonkey2000

Guest supamonkey2000

I'm in the default 737-800. I'm flying from Seattle Tacoma (KSEA) to Kahului (PHOG). So, Seattle to Hawaii basically. I'm a quarter the way through the flight, and my low fuel thingy goes off. I click ALT, A, F to get to Fuel and see that I am very low on all 3 tanks.

I started the flight with 99% fuel in each tank.

Why would this happen? I am using autopilot, if that makes a difference. 315Kn, FL220. I just want to know why a plane that makes that trip in real life every single day can't make it in a VERY accurate simulator. Is there a way to minimize usage? Such as lights? Turning off autopilot is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I chose IFR high-altitude airways

... in a VERY accurate simulator.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Find the [TurbineEngineData] section in the aircraft.cfg and look for...

ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.6

Change it to...

ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.36

Also watch your weight.

Odds are, with full fuel you will be overweight, gotta kick off some SLF.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Also watch your weight.

Geee, I don't think whatever weight I might gain or lose during a flight will make THAT big a difference, will it?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

To Supa: In addition to Mr Bean's ideas, you might try a much higher cruising altitude, and keeping your speed to M0.80, not a specific number of knots. Try something like 33 or 34,000' MSL. The higher you go, the more efficient jets get.

IIRC, from what I read, and little I understood, on the FSDeveloper forums, 36,600'MSL is generally optimum for FSX planes, unless the plane is specifically tuned to another altitude in the .air file. You might try higher up, maybe 30,000, or 31,000 to start, if you can get up that high early in the flight, then as it progresses, and you burn fuel off, slowly move up to 36,000 MSL, maintaining M0.8 the whole time. Forget the whole Knots idea above 18,000'MSL. Start using mach numbers instead, and as I recall, most default jets do pretty well at M0.8.

Just a couple ideas. Hope they might help a little.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Yep, I missed that note that you were only flying at FL220.

FL340 is more realistic- http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA861/history/20160627/1735Z/KSEA/PHOG

I would climb at 250 KIAS up to 10,000ft, then speed up to 300 KIAS. The mach number will slowly climb, when you get to M0.7 switch to Mach Hold anc continue climb to FL340.

After ~90 minutes climb to FL360.

Cruising at M0.8 is a tad fast, M0.78 is more realistic.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Cruising at M0.8 is a tad fast, M0.78 is more realistic.

Well, at least I was close :)

After all, M0.02 may be a fair amount of speed at 36,000', but it IS very close to M0.80. I was speaking in generalities, anyway.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FL350-F380 is probably around optimum for that plane. This depends largely on weight though. (The heavier you are, the lower your optimum and achievable level). Never flown that route before, but I can't imagine you need full tanks?

M.08 isn't going to help you with fuel. Try M.77/78.

Cheers,

Strikey

Embraer E190 Driver

Weather is also very important for long range flights. Temperature, pressure (has a strong effect on how height you can fly) and winds all over a long distance has a high effect on range.

The weather product Active Sky 2016 has a flight planner and weather briefing built into it which informs you what the required altitude is along the route for optimum performance.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived