What is DX10 and where do I see if I have it? (And a couple of other stupid questions

bmatt569

The subject line asks the pertinent question. I realize that I should know what DX10 is but I admit, I don't. I'm coming to those who are much more informed than I am for help and explanations.

The other day my fat fingers hit a wrong key and I "lost" my FSX file. I couldn't find it so I uninstalled it and reinstalled my FSX Gold on my laptop that is running Win 10, reloaded my add-on A/C and scenery. I took a short test flight. All seemed normal.

I downloaded several A/C from one of the VAs I belong to, one being an L 1011. The rest of the A/C worked great. The L 1011 not so much. It looks like this from the selection screen:

Screenshot_1.jpg

If I select it I get this:

Screenshot_2.jpg

I asked in the Va's forum about what might cause this and the answer came back that it might be something to do with my DX10 settings. Thus the question. Where do I look to find that setting and what should it be?

As usual, thanks for all of the great, patient help all of you provide to those of us in our hour of need.

Technologically Challenged Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

DX10 stands for Direct X 10. It's part of the Windows Operating System since Vista. You have Windows 10 so you automatically have DX10 installed. There is nothing to check and there are NO SETTINGS to check in regards to DX10. However, your L 1011 is a very old plane and is not DX10 compatible. So what does that mean? That means you need to uncheck the Preview Directx 10 option on the FSX Graphics screen and then restart FSX. That that plane will show up correctly because you will be running FSX under DX9 now. Your VA should have been able to tell you all of this.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

OK, I tried to find it. What am I missing here? When I go to Settings>Display this is what I get:

Screenshot_3.png

Then if I go to Graphics I get this:

Screenshot_4.png

Then if I go to Aircraft I get this:

Screenshot_5.png

Am I doing something wrong, looking in the wrong place or do I not haveDX10?

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, I tried to find it. What am I missing here? When I go to Settings>Display this is what I get:

Then if I go to Graphics I get this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]191023[/ATTACH]

Am I doing something wrong, looking in the wrong place or do I not haveDX10?

Bill

Do you see that empty space above Lens Flare? There should be your Preview DX10 option. And it does not appear if you don't have SP2 or Acceleration installed. Are you sure installed Acceleration?

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

Hi Bill,

I don't know what ALL the problems are. The first was that I neglected to say you have to click on "Customize" to get to the screen you needed. If you have Gold installed you should see this:

DX10.JPG

Why you don't have the DX10 option is beyond me. I didn't show it in the picture I'm posting but Acceleration should appear at the time of the screen if everything is installed correctly. I don't know what else to check for. I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a solution. Perhaps your original problem is somehow related to what you're (not) seeing.

Jim F.

Hi Bill,

I had the same problem this week. It transpired that FSX "Acceleration" elements in the FSX installation had become corrupted.

To fix you will need to load the "Acceleration" DVD and run "Repair" from the option screen.

This corrected the issue for me and all is now working ok.

Regards

Algenon

Ok, after reading everyone's advice I reloaded Acceleration and did the repair. Then I restarted the computer. Now things are like they should be. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived