'Addon Scenery' listing missing from my Scenery Library

cockyboy

I must have accidentally deleted my 'Addon Scenery' listing from my FSX Scenery Library. I tried going into the Settings>Scenery Library>Add new area>but the folder 'World' is the only file it shows for me to add. How do I get the Addon Scenery listing back in my Scenery Library?

I'm also having an issue with a bgl file of "the great Tennessee airshow" that I can't get to work. I copied and pasted it in the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder but the airport scenery is still the default FSX scenery.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

You need to create a folder for your scenery. Call it 'Addon Scenery CBoy' (or whatever). Then you create individual folders under that for your DIFFERENT scenery. Don't just lump them all in the main 'Addon Scenery' folder. That way you have more control whenever you want to delete that particular scenery (ie: all related files).

For each scenery you create a folder with a name that makes sense and that identifies the airport or model. Then under that you create a 'Scenery' folder. The bgl's go in there. And if there is texture (most time it don't) you create a 'Texture' folder and put bmp's in there.

Then you go to Scenery Library. You browse to where your scenery folder is and click 'OK'. Back in library window, you click box (red check mark) to activate and you click 'Ok' and wait while the sim updates your scenery cfg (which you should NEVER edit manually).

You go back to free flight and go World/Go to Airport and choose the scenery you just installed. That's all there is to it. Unless you have Wins 7 in which case in final step you have to click anywhere in lower window (white space) to make sim 'focus' and carry through with scenery cfg update.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hi Jim,

Taking the information provided by Chuck one step further - An option to consider is to create your own scenery addon folder system outside of FSX. I have done so for many years in both FS2004 and FSX with no problems. As Chuck stated, build a folder system based on easy to follow categories. For example, I use separate folders for Basic Airport sceneries (based by country and used where the scenery is made up of a single or few .bgls but no textures), detailed airports (based on individual airport entries - where the scenery contains both .bgls and textures), Object Libraries (based on individual entries for each - e.g. RWY12, EZ etc) and Traffic Files (in my case based on types - e.g. Rotory, Fastjets, Heavies - but you could base it on airlines or country or simply have a single folder.

I would also suggest that you download a Scenery config tool (I can highly recommend this one - https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/). Using this tool can help you identify/rectify any problems. It also negates the need to use the sim scenery settings page to activate the scenery - this tool allows you to simply activate it with FS closed. When you then next start FS it will automatically update the scenery listing. You can also use the tool to make a backup copy of the .cfg outside of default location.

Regards

Brian

Excuse me if I state the obvious, but did you check the Recycle Bin? If it's there, you can restore it back to the original location in the FSX Scenery folder, (esp. if you had any downloaded sceneries in it).

Also, Windows operating systems maintain "restore points." You can restore your system to a point in the past, before the system got screwed up. I've done it and it works. It's pretty amazing, being able to return to the past before a mistake was made.

Mr Wafer,

Putting an addon scenery in the '..FSX/Scenery/World' folder will not work. That is not the proper location to put addon scenery. You need to create a 'Addon' folder (name it 'Addon Scenery Mine' or whatever) and add all your addon scenery folders under that. It can be anywhere - but NOT under '..FSX/Scenery/World' folder.

Chuck B

Napamule

Addon Scenery_C.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived