fsx on external ssd

fsc_ba

I was wondering if it is possible to run fsx from an external ssd drive at reasonable speeds ? the reason being I would like to keep fsx completely separate from the PC it self.

You should be OK. I'm running FSX on a 10,000 RPM Velociraptor HDD mounted in a USB3 docking station and it works fine. No noticeable lag at all. And the SSD is, for sure, faster than that. I moved it (FSX) from an internal SSD and, except for a little longer initial loading time when FSX starts, I see no difference in performance at all .

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Not being too tech minded I had the same idea as you and posed that question on a forum somewhere.

I was told that it would be possible to run FSX on an external drive but as the information is being processed through a USB connection, the performance would be very poor.

Transfer speeds may be slow causing stuttering

Anyway, that is what I was told

Not being too tech minded I had the same idea as you and posed that question on a forum somewhere.

I was told that it would be possible to run FSX on an external drive but as the information is being processed through a USB connection, the performance would be very poor.

Transfer speeds may be slow causing stuttering

Anyway, that is what I was told

I think you'll see similar opinions all over the web. But, from my experience over several years, USB3 will more than adequately support FSX gameplay assuming there is no other bottleneck. Heck, I've even run FSX on old 7200 and 5400 RPM HDD's docked externally with no problems. All mileage is, of course, variable but I think it's worth a try.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived