Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FSX SE - How to install Traffic Toolbox ?

Default FSX SE - How to install Traffic Toolbox ?

Hi everyone,

I have FSX Steam Edition. I also have FSX original but I have misplaced it somewhere. In FS2004, I used to have the traffic toolbox under "modules" in the top menu. However, I cant seem to get this in FSX SE. I did plenty of research and I cannot get it to work. I have SDK SP 1 and SP2, but it still wants me to go back to FSX and install the original FSX SDK from Disc 1 (which I don't have at the moment). So, what is the next step from here? Please advise, thank you.

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

FSX:SE comes with the appropriate traffictoolbox.dll in ...\FSX:SE\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK.

There is also a dll.xml that has what you need to copy to your working dll.xml which is located next to your FSX.cfg in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    FSX:SE comes with the appropriate traffictoolbox.dll in ...\FSX:SE\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK.

There is also a dll.xml that has what you need to copy to your working dll.xml which is located next to your FSX.cfg in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

peace,
    the Bean
    Thanks for your help. I located both files. Where do I have to copy these files? in other words, what am I suppose to do with the files?

lost between how it is and how it ought to be

You do nothing with the .DLL, leave it where it is.

Do you have a DLL.XML at C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE?

If not,...

... copy the DLL.XML from the SDK folder and paste it in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you do,...

Open the DLL.XML in the SDK folder with Notepad.

Copy the following...

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    ....and paste it in the DLL.XML located in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Paste it at the end of the file, just before...

</SimBase.Document>

Check to see if the Traffic Toolbox shows up in the in-game menu.

You may need to edit the <Path> line and replace the relative path with an absolute one. That is how mine is and I cannot remember if I had to change it.

peace,
    the Bean
    WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
    You do nothing with the .DLL, leave it where it is.

Do you have a DLL.XML at C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE?

If not,...

... copy the DLL.XML from the SDK folder and paste it in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

If you do,...

Open the DLL.XML in the SDK folder with Notepad.

Copy the following...

....and paste it in the DLL.XML located in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

Paste it at the end of the file, just before...

</SimBase.Document>

Check to see if the Traffic Toolbox shows up in the in-game menu.

You may need to edit the <Path> line and replace the relative path with an absolute one. That is how mine is and I cannot remember if I had to change it.

peace,
    the Bean
    Still very confusing. Anyways, I managed to change the ai aircraft labels to show their flight plan route. I am trying out Traffic Look as an alternative to watch ai traffic for now. Thanks..

6. Default Traffic Look?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnbhandal View Post
    Still very confusing. Anyways, I managed to change the ai aircraft labels to show their flight plan route. I am trying out Traffic Look as an alternative to watch ai traffic for now. Thanks..
    I also like to view AI traffic in spot view mode (I like watching approaches and landings)....What is "traffic look" and did you get it working?

Also, how did you change the AI aircraft labels to show the route?

Thanks,

C

An older post, but the answer is to find this in your fsx.cfg and change it. These are my personal settings:

[AContain]
    ShowLabels=1
    ShowUserLabel=0
    ShowLabelManufacturer=0
    ShowLabelModel=1
    ShowLabelTailNumber=1
    ShowLabelDistance=1
    ShowLabelAltitude=1
    ShowLabelAirline=0
    ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=1
    ShowLabelFlightPlan=1
    ShowLabelContainerId=0
    ShowLabelAirspeed=0
    ShowLabelHeading=0
    LabelDelay=1000
    LabelColor=FFFF0000

I have installed FSX De Luxe on my D:\FS8\FSX and the SDK of disk1 is on D;\FS9\FSX-TOOLS\SDK.
    I modified the dll.xml as follows:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
    <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
    <Launch.Addon>
    <Path>D:\FS9\FSX-Tools\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
    </SimBase.Document>
    But Trtaffictoolbox does not show in the menu.
    Jive1 - Belgium

What have I done wrongly

IIRC, for FSX:SE you need to have the SDK from P3D.
    Version 1.4.4747.0
    You can get it at the FSDeveloper Resources section.
    Here IS The LINK

Download it, run the installer. Point it at the folder of your choice, and when you go to add the different .dll files to your DLL.XML file, just make sure that the path is perfect. Capital vs lowercase letters, symbols, spaces, whatever.

Do you need an example that I know works? It's on my system.
    Code:
    <Launch.Addon>
        <Disabled>True</Disabled>
        <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
      </Launch.Addon>
    I change the <Disabled> entry when I need to use a particular .dll. Keeps the sim load time down to have fewer entries loaded at the same time. Keeps the load on the RAM, VAS, and CPU down, too.
    The SDK is on a different drive than the sim, but I have several of the .dll's in my in-game menu, so I know they work. Also, some .dll's will only load if they're located under the sim's folder.
    I copy the pathing from the Explorer menu bar at the top of my screen, then just type in the name of the .dll I want to have show up in my menu. Sometimes it's an .exe file you need, not a .dll, but in that case, just place the desired entry into your EXE.XML file instead of the DLL.XML .

The most important thing to remember is the SDK version. The Version 1.4.4747.0, as far as I know is the only one that'll work with FSX:SE. I may well be wrong about that though...

Good luck!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

If you want to go a step further there is a program called 'Super Traffic View Board' for FSX, it has a few nice features where you can follow the ai aircraft the full journey if you wish plus listen to ATC talking to it.

There is another program too called 'AI TrackerX' which is similar to STVB and that has even more features.

Col.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast