Searching for the Matterhorn

csmj

I flew a plane from Bern, Switzerland and went south-ish and cruised around the Alps looking for the Matterhorn. I figured it would be seen prominently once in the area but I never did find it. Thinking the default FS9 scenery was inadequate, I purchased the FSGenesis 19m mesh for Switzerland (the Matterhorn is supposed to be on the Swiss side of the border with Italy). The mesh made a big and very nice difference but still couldn't find the Matterhorn.

In desperation I googled the Matterhorn coordinates and found this

45.9764 degrees N

7.6583 degrees E

In the flight I opened the map window and entered those numbers as N 45* 9.76 and E 7* 6.58, but according to the map the plane was now down in Italy below the border. So it seems that either...

1) the FS9 map coordinates don't match reality or the map is inacuarate

2) the FS9 coordinate system is different and actual coordinates in degrees can't be entered like this

3) or...something.

Anyone have any idea what's happening here? Has anyone ever seen the Matterhorn in FS9?

Thanks very much,

Clayton

My FS web site: http://www.cjcom.net/FS-a.htm with screen shots and short articles. Updated regularly.

Found it!

Just logged back in and found your replies, StringBean and Copperpen, thank you. I wish I had seen them earlier, would have saved me a lot of time.

While I was logged out I found a good map in a world atlas and saw that the Matterhorn was just SE of Sion where I have a flight saved. So I flew the Aero Commander 680 (ac680vc9.zip by Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas, and André Folkers - a great plane to fly!)...

Sion-2a-FSG.jpg

Taking off from Sion (with FSGenesis terrain mesh)

...and flew down to the 46 degree line and then east until I found this...

Matterhorn-FSG.jpg

Here is the FS9 map at that point. The blue line is the Milan airspace and roughly matches the Italy border in the atlas map. You can see the coordinates...

MatterhornMap.jpg

When I got to the mountain the coordinates were very close to yours, StringBean (I think yours would have put the plane right on top of it). Copperpen, the 2nd blue airport east of Sion is LSMN.

I flew over this area earlier, before installing the mesh, and I don't recall seeing anything resembling this. So I took the plane back up using FS9 without the mesh (I have several versions), put the plane in exactly the same position, and got this...

Matterhorn-NoFSG.jpg

Wow, does terrain mesh ever make a difference. I would never have recognized this as the Matterhorn. I think I'm becoming a mesh addict :) I've learned a lot today.

Thanks guys for your replies,

Clayton

My FS web site: http://www.cjcom.net/FS-a.htm with screen shots and short articles. Updated regularly.

>Your coordinates are incorrect.

>Try...

>N45 58.58

>E07 39.50

It just dawned on me about the coordinates difference. The 45.9764 and 7.6583 numbers are degrees in decimal fractions, while the FS9 numbers are expressed in degrees and minutes. If I multiply 60 by those decimal fractions I get exactly your numbers. I've learned a lot about FS9 today.

Thanks again,

Clayton

Uhh, Bean, his coordinates are identical to yours, just in a different format. Doing the maths:

45.9764 degrees N...

0.9764 degrees * 60 minutes/degree = 58.584 minutes

so N45 degrees 58.584 minutes.

7.6583 degrees E ...

0.6583 degrees * 60 minutes/degree = 39.498 minutes

so E7 degrees 39.498 minutes.

Some apps cope with and allow different formats, some don't.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Uhh, Bean, his coordinates are identical to yours, just in a different format. Doing the maths:

45.9764 degrees N...

0.9764 degrees * 60 minutes/degree = 58.584 minutes

so N45 degrees 58.584 minutes.

7.6583 degrees E ...

0.6583 degrees * 60 minutes/degree = 39.498 minutes

so E7 degrees 39.498 minutes.

Some apps cope with and allow different formats, some don't.

His...

N 45* 9.76

E 7* 6.58

Mine...

N45 58.58

E07 39.50

Those are most definitely not the same.

Go pick on somebody else please, I am growing tired of it.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Don't you dare speak to me like that. The two sets of coords ARE the same.

His coordinates are, AS PASTED FROM HIS POST:

" In desperation I googled the Matterhorn coordinates and found this

45.9764 degrees N

7.6583 degrees E"

Yours are, AS PASTED FROM YOUR POST:

" Mine...

N45 58.58

E07 39.50"

These ARE the same.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

Don't you dare speak to me like that. The two sets of coords ARE the same.

His coordinates are, AS PASTED FROM HIS POST:

" In desperation I googled the Matterhorn coordinates and found this

45.9764 degrees N

7.6583 degrees E"

Yours are, AS PASTED FROM YOUR POST:

" Mine...

N45 58.58

E07 39.50"

These ARE the same.

Then why did his not work in the sim and mine did?

You did a very nice job of pulling out parts of his original post to make your point while ignoring the part of his post where he was having trouble.

And if you do not like me posting that you seem to enjoy pointing out my errors (even when none exist) then stop doing it.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

This is what is correct: 'The 45.9764 and 7.6583 numbers are degrees in decimal fractions, while the FS9 numbers are expressed in degrees and minutes.'

There is two ways to express co-ordinates. (1).Decimal Fractions and (2).Degrees and Minutes. A lot of people don't realize this. So you learned something new today. Right? Right!

Chuck B

PS: How is the hangover? (hehe).

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Gentlemen, please...just drop it. It's a simple misunderstanding. My initial post contained TWO sets of numbers, the decimal degrees AND my incorrect translation of those into FS9 numbers. One of you responded to the first, the other to the second.

Please just drop it. It's not worth getting into a flame war.

Best Regards,

Clayton

You can actually paste coordinates in dd.ddd format into the map screen as long as you leave the N,S,E, & W designators in place, ie: "W116.123" as opposed to "-116.123". Make sure you paste over all of the * and ' degree/minute symbols.

(Use Ctrl+V to paste, there's no right click > Paste option.)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/fs9_decimal_degrees_entry.jpg

You can actually paste coordinates in dd.ddd format into the map screen as long as you leave the N,S,E, & W designators in place, ie: "W116.123" as opposed to "-116.123". Make sure you paste over all of the * and ' degree/minute symbols.

(Use Ctrl+V to paste, there's no right click > Paste option.)

That's good to know, thank you.

Clayton

Archived