Accessing SDK files in FSX Gold

bmatt569

Hi All,

Technologically Challenged Bill here ... once again!

I have FSX Gold installed (and have the disks). I would like to try my hand at a repaint of Real Air's Turbine Duke (have that fine machine in my "hanger").

I found the wiki from FSDeveloper. I followed the directions which state:

To install the SDK for FSX Acceleration Pack OR FSX Gold Pack:

1. Install the RTM SDK from FSX Deluxe Edition disk 1, (see 3.1.1 FSX Deluxe RTM users instructions above).

2. Insert your Acceleration Pack DVD.

3. Browse to the subfolder called SDK\SP1a\

4. Install the SDK SP1A from there using fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe, (dated 26/09/2007, size 165,569KB).

5. Browse to the folder called SDK\

6. Install the Acceleration SP2/XPack SDK using sdk.msi, (dated 06/10/2007, size 216,929KB).

These are the RTM Instructions mentioned above.

find the contents of that disk?

1. FSX must not be running.

2. Browse the FSX Deluxe Edition disk 1

3. Open the SDK sub-folder

4. Double-click the setup.exe

5. Tell it where to install

So, i put my disk 1 in the drive, it spun up and opened the install shield. Basically, it did an install of FSX. When I tried opening the disk from "My Computer" I only got that nice icon showing FSX logo and "FSX Disk 1". I never have the option for seeing a directory or installing SDK.

My plight, my friends, since I have the legal right to SDK, how do I go about accessing it from my FSX Gold disk 1 since I can't seem to access SDK from my FSX Gold disk 1?

And as the old Bartels and James commercial used to say, "And we thank you for your support".

Bill Mattson

Mountain Air 1894

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Autorun/Autoplay is active for that drive, that is why it starts executing the installer right away.

Open Windows Explorer, right-click the icon of the DVD drive and select the appropriate option to view the files - what that is exactly depends on your Windows version, should be something like "expand", "open folder to view files" or "open in new window".

btw. it is advisable to copy the contents to your harddisk first, these DVDs are notorious for read errors nowadays.

You don't need to install the SDK to do a repaint. have a look in the Painter's Workshop forum & in the Painting Toolbox thread there is some useful links. You will need a paintkit for the Real Air Turbine Duke which should be included with the aircraft or available to download from the Real Air website.

Thanks to all for the replies. I did go to the Real Air website and they do have a paint kit for the Turbine Duke. I probably have to go back and reread everything again but I think it said something about using the SDK and Photoshop. So, I'll go re read. Then take everyone's advice here and see if I can actually do a reasonable repaint on the Duke. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived