Flying in Virtual Reality in FSX with FlyInside

Guest Robert455

Guest Robert455

We did this last weekend using FlyInside in FSX:SE. I got the resolution by putting the mirror window on a second desktop in Windows10 and maximizing it. Huge fun!

If you cross your eyes you can get a center image with depth but it's backwards and may cause headaches over long periods. The brain mostly sorts it out and you can see the depth, though. In a VR head mount display it's perfect 3D. The image is pretty extreme wide angle distorted to look properly proportioned and undistorted in the Rift. What we see looks like we are actually there. Plus those distortions you see here in the video kind of hides how close we were.

Or the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsphAOkGYRI

• 2 months later...
We did this last weekend using FlyInside in FSX:SE. I got the resolution by putting the mirror window on a second desktop in Windows10 and maximizing it. Huge fun!

If you cross your eyes you can get a center image with depth but it's backwards and may cause headaches over long periods. The brain mostly sorts it out and you can see the depth, though. In a VR head mount display it's perfect 3D. The image is pretty extreme wide angle distorted to look properly proportioned and undistorted in the Rift. What we see looks like we are actually there. Plus those distortions you see here in the video kind of hides how close we were.

Or the direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsphAOkGYRI

i think to reduce that wide angle distortion you need to set the aspect ratio to 4:3.

Guest Robert455

Hi Clayton, actually that is how things need to be to display properly in VR. That wide angle distortion is part of the pre-correction for the lensing and how we get a wide field of view. When you view the videos on a flat screen it just has a wide angle distortion to it. If we changed the aspect (which we can't - it's controlled by Dan Church's FlyInside plugin), it would give us a kind of a punched distorted view when we are flying.

If you try it for yourself, you'll see what I mean. It's a bit hard to really describe, but what you see is correct for us. Not for people viewing on a regular monitor, though.

• 1 year later...

Any updates on a virtual keyboard? I am running OR, and installed DeskVerse.

But the keyboard was way up to my face, and unable to use the keys with the Oculus Touch Controllers. There is no support from Oculus since the Developer is a 3rd Party.

I had asked for support from the Developer, and have yet to receive an answer, so asked for a refund. If anyone has gotten DeskVerse to work, please let me know.

I also have leap motion, and find the FSX interaction fascinating, but without the 'feel' of the switch its hard to operate anything.

Archived