Creating Video for YouTube etc

goldhawk

Just as a general fyi, I wanted to mention that I have finally figured out how to use VLC media player to go from fraps container codec to mp4

I know I have read about how to do it before but for whatever reason I could not figure it out.

Now I can turn a seven min frap video into a 35mb mp4 file that does not seem to lose as much quality as divx has when i tried that in the past.

At any rate if anyone wants my method of doing this, I would say

1 open fraps file in vlc

2 view -- playlist

3 right click video

4 save as....

I think the rest is self explanatory

and also I would like to add I would pick vlc media player over microsoft any day but I have been very slow in learning it. One day I hope to figure out streaming but for now I am happy using it just to view videos and/or convert them to different formats. It also took me a while to figure out playlists

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

One other thing I wanted to mention, I think I am getting better quality then using the divx converter that divx offers free... however, as is with all things in life, using vlc to convert has some draw backs.

For one thing I am getting, -some times- jumpy video, I am thinking this might be resolved with a solid state drive. And I only have one of four cores running in 70 to 80 percent range so I am not sure if vlc is taking advantage of all four cores of the i5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If all I want to do is convert a video (no editing, etc.), I use Freemake Video Converter (link). If I am editing, I edit using the original recorded file and then render directly to the desired format.
<?php
while(1){
echo "Hey, wait! This is a trap! ";
} ?>

• 4 weeks later...
Well I have been trying freemake, I can get a 3 gig file down to 60meg but I really lose a lot of quality, i have tried converting to avi and to mpg, there must be a way to get a fraps video converted and lose maybe just ten percent of the quality. I feel like I have tried every video converter available and my you tube videos just do not look as good as most. Even if I upload the fraps original file, youtube does not always display it as HD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The FRAPS files may be some strange format that u-toob doesn't play well with.

I always convert to mp4. The bit rate I use varies.. But I think lately I've been

using 5000 bps mp4. But I upload much larger files than you all are.. I always upload

at least 720p, and too small a file with most editors or freemake is going to be pretty

iffy.. Most of my longer ones probably average around 400-500 mb that I upload to

u-toob, and then they render it again, which further downgrades the quality.

In general, u-toob degrades my videos worse than I do vs the original large fsrecorder

renders.

I've been using TMShowbiz for editing, as it's the only one I have that does HD, and

I use freemake to get that fairly large file down to u-toob size.

It seems to render HD with less pixelation than Showbiz does..

Looking at a few recent ones I did, DCA river was about 200mb. Paro 600 3 with the

extra spot views was 562mb.. Both of those were 720p.

I did an 11 min scenery demo in 1080p at I think 5000 mps, and it was 510mb.

I can't imagine using even 75mb for that time and expect any kind of decent quality

at HD. Or at least with the software I have. I think some of the newer video programs

are really getting to be really efficient and still keep a high HD quality.

But I don't have any of those.. :( With what I'm using if I go too low, things look kinda

scruffy.. :(

In general, u-toob degrades my videos worse than I do vs the original large fsrecorder

renders.

I agree with that statement for sure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One should also consider how file compression works. It is currently 2:37 AM where I am, plus I'm typing this on my phone, so I'm not researching right now and will post a clearer message later. The gist of it is that you are going to sacrifice quality for smaller file size, or vice versa. You will just have to find a point where both are acceptable and/or get over it.

And, yes, YouTube will degrade your videos quality (I want to say that it's because the video gets converted once it is uploaded).

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

<?php
while(1){
} ?>

I always am glad to get any response, not to sound like a smart alec I have been aware of this, and like you said you were going to clarify more later, so what I most agree with is:

You will just have to find a point where both are acceptable and/or get over it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Based on my understanding:

File compression works by finding patterns of data. This data is overwritten by the compression engine with a smaller pattern and a lookup table is created in the file's header (I assume it's the header; where else would it be stored?). The table contains the original data and tell the decompressor, "whenever you see (new pattern), replace it with (original pattern)."

Lossless compression works by finding exact patterns:

1, 2, 3, 4, 0, 7, 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 6, 1, 2, 3, 3 (16 long)

could become

x, 4, 0, 7, x, 5, 9, 6, x, 3 (10 long)

"Whenever you see (x), replace it with (1, 2, 3)."

Because the data is preserved, the quality is too.

Lossy compression works in much the same way, but the patterns can be in the ballpark area.

(1, 2, 3, 3) and (1, 2, 3, 5) both are close enough to (1, 2, 3, 4), so it will compress to:

x, 0, 7, x, 9, 6, x (7 long). However, when decompressed, the new data will be different from the original.

1, 2, 3, 4, 0, 7, 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 6, 1, 2, 3, 3 (original)

1, 2, 3, 4, 0, 7, 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4 (new)

Because the data is not preserved, the quality drops.

A quick search shows that MP4 is a lossy format.

<?php
while(1){
} ?>

Archived